Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Randallx220
What's DOS?
Views: 1,017
Message 1 of 5

SSD died - How to replace

Hi,

The SSD of my X220 died. My laptop is out of warranty. I can replace the ssd myself but I do not have a Windows 7 install disk, how do I do to get the new SSD running?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,009
Message 2 of 5

Re: SSD died - How to replace

If you did not burn recovery disks, you will need to call support to buy a set at 1-800-426-7378

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,006
Message 3 of 5

Hello and welcome,

You have a couple of options:  Order a set of recovery DVDs from support.  Download a Win 7 ISO and do a clean install.

To contact support:

United States THINK-branded products English 1-800-426-7378 24 hours/day
7 days/week

To download an ISO: Google "windows 7 legal download notebookreview".  Select the version that matches the CoA on your laptop (on the bottom or in the battery compartment).  It will probably require phone activation.

If you go with a clean install you can do that from a USB flash drive if that's convenient.  Use the command line DISKPART to create a single NTFS partition and copy the ISO contents to it.  This link explains how to prep the flash drive.  It's talking about prepping to create recovery media but the prep is the same for MS install media.

New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...

Once you have a clean install fully updated install ThinkVantage System Update and let that pull down all the Lenovo stuff.  You don't need to do that if you order Lenovo media.  It will come complete.

I bet next time you burn your recovery media first thing Smiley Wink

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Randallx220
What's DOS?
Views: 984
Message 4 of 5

I just called but "their system" has issues and they will call me back in 48 hours.....

Randallx220
What's DOS?
Views: 926
Message 5 of 5

IBM did call me today and is shipping the recovery disks...$51 with tax....a tad expensive mistake for me not burning recovery media...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors