Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmgonzalez
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,142
Message 1 of 4

SYSPrep install for Win 7 SP 1 Drivers not installing correclty

I am setting up x230s with Win 7 SP 1 64 bit. Sysprep using dpinst. and setupcomplete.cmd to install drivers that need silent installs. I have installed chipset, AMT chipset for Intel Engine, USB 3, multi carder reader, etc..

All drivers install ok except Card Reader, looking into it I have had to edit config file for install to change hardware ID from 823 to 822. However, card reader does not work when i insert an SD card. Also Any usb drive I plug in is not recognized, I get the error in Device Manager No Driver Found. I have imaged other model, T420, X220, T500, T520. Consistently the Card Reader install is an issue. So I am looking for help in installing drivers with sysprep and unattend.xml, with setupcomplete.cmd. We are rolling out a few hundred for Win 7 64 bit. We cannot use system update to resolve all the drivers. So any help on this topic is appreciated..

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 3,107
Message 2 of 4

Betreff: SYSPrep install for Win 7 SP 1 Drivers not installing correclty

It might also be helpful to know what you are using for your deployment utility. I say this because it might be beneficial to check out the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit for your deployment solution since it makes driver injection that much more managed and simplified. A great blog article which outlines the process of managing Out-of-Box drivers with model specific driver groups can be found on TechNet here.

As a high-level overview, MDT allows you to create hardware independent images which will in turn greatly streamline your deployment process. The Springboard Series on TechNet has a great deal of information to help you learn how to create hardware independent images, specifically. For now, I’ll just give you a few key benefits.

First off, MDT is free and can even integrate directly with Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and can be setup to PXE boot for both a Sysprep and Capture task sequence and lite-touch deployment.

Next, MDT can be used to deploy Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012R2. Using MDT, you can easily add both applications and drivers, manage Windows updates, create task sequences, specify selection profiles for easy driver injection, prompt for a computer name, join a domain, add a KMS or MAK product key, create an administrator account, specify time zone, etc. You can also import all user data into the new environment using the User State Migration Tool (also free). In addition to creating standard client task sequences, as stated above, you can create sysprep and capture task sequences that will do just that – sysprep and capture an image of your reference machine. To become familiar with the process of using MDT, you might want to check out these videos from the Springboard Series page on TechNet:

Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012
Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced

As a direct answer to your question, if you are currently using Windows Deployment Services (WDS) to push out your images you will want to check out the adding drivers to WDS Server TechNet wiki article or if you are just trying to sysprep your image and keep all installed drivers you will want to look into the PersistAllDeviceInstalls switch for your

unattend file.

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro

jmgonzalez
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,090
Message 3 of 4

We are using ZENworks Config Management (ZCM) to deploy images. We build indepenednt images and I have been using dpinst in unattend.xml for drivers along with setupcompleted.cmd. ZCM does our imaging and then we push out applications via ZCM. WE are not using Windows deployment.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 3,055
Message 4 of 4

I cannot comment directly on how to solve your driver store issue with your current setup but I can suggest the use of MDT and WDS as it truly does simplify the deployment process and is completely free (presuming you already have Windows Server in your environment for the WDS piece).

Since you stated you’re looking at rolling out a few hundred Windows 7 64-bit, WDS can handle multicasting, work in conjunction with MDT (which also can push out applications) as well as handle your drivers, updates, and hardware independent images as demonstrated in the available resources above.

Another suggestion I can make if you wish to continue deployment with the use of unattend.xml scripts and dpinst commands is to look at using DISM to add and / or remove drivers offline; more on this can be read on TechNet here.

Finally, one more thing to try would be to use the following command which I came across here when looking for solutions to your issue:

“DPInst.exe /s /lm /path C:\Drivers\Shared\<foldernamehere>\<foldernamehere>

Note: The LM switch when used with DPInst.exe sets the legacyMode flag to ON which means, “In legacy mode, DPInst accepts unsigned driver packages without performing signature verification. However, be aware that Windows driver signing requirements apply to the installation of a driver package from the DIFx driver store. These requirements depend on the Windows version, the signature type, the driver package type, and the driver signing options that are set for a computer.”

In order to make DPInst.exe search all sub-folders of a directory as specified with the /path switch, one must include a DPInst.xml file, which must be placed in the same folder as the DPInst.exe. Inside this xml file, it should contain the following text:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<dpinst>

<!-- The following search and subDirectory elements direct
DPInst to search all subdirectories (under the DPInst working directory) to locate driver
packages. -->
<search>
<subDirectory>*</subDirectory>
</search>

</dpinst>

The latest DPInst.exe can be obtained by downloading the latest edition (just to be sure everything is up-to-date) of the Windows Driver Kit here.”

Keep us posted!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors