Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 939
Message 1 of 13

Scratches all over touchscreen

So, I've already been informed that even if I had any warrenty this would be considered cosmetic damage  and therefore not covered. This laptop is about 5 months old and the keys look like they're burning into the screen. Obviously I should have bought a screen protector immediately, it was insane of me to think that any Lenovo product would be even basically functional right out of the box. Apparently it's from microscopic dust getting caught in the keyboard and then rubbing the screen when it closes. 

So I will get a screen protector, but is there any way to get rid of these scratches without replacing the screen? I've heard people mention using tooothpaste, but I'm a digital artist so I relaly don't want to risk anything effecting the pressure sensitivity of the screen.These gouges already effect drawing with the pen a lot, the pen gives a jump every time it hits one and it makes the screeen pretty unreadable in almost every lighting condition. Has anyone ever tried a screen protector with this kind of damage, would a matte or privacy protector maybe smooth these out enough haptically and visually without me having to mess with the screen a lot first? 

If I do have to replace the screen, does anyone have suggestions on how I can purchase a replacement screen? 

This is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen. The screen is 4K, touch and pen. 

LenovoScratches.jpgscratches in the exact shape of the keyboard

PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 925
Message 2 of 13

Re: Scratches all over touchscreen

Cosmetic damage?! Who told you that?! That's ridiculous!

gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 909
Message 3 of 13

There are all kinds of posts on this forum about this issue, but the only one I can find with replies from lenovo is this one:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Screen-gets-Scratches/td-p/1519412

If you do a search on "keyboard scratches" on this forum or the reddit thinkpad boards there's dozens of posts about it, and generally the replies are that it's your own fault for not padding the laptop while it's closed.

I've had more headaches than I can handle fighting with Lenovo warranty and repair, absolutely no interest interacting with them again anyway. Just need advice on getting this thing working until I can save up for a new computer.
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 870
Message 4 of 13

Wow that’s terrible. Have you thought about calling your credit card company? They usually have protections and can sometimes fight it out for you. That’s simply flawed design, I’d want a different model swapped out. Sorry, i'm just so angry for all of you... I saw the posts. You may also want to reach out to the local government office like the Attorney Generals office, Federal Trade Commision, or any other office governing consumer rights. Good luck!

gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 855
Message 5 of 13

Thanks PolishPaul, I appreciate your indignation! But this laptop was already a replacement laptop I had to fight tooth and nail for , for many many  many months, and I only got after filing a Better Business Bureau complaint. (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Lenovo-Yoga-720-Pen-Input-Issue/m-p/4293655#M38126) The screen peeling is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as the issues with the last one, which just got more damaged and less fixed every time it came back from repair, until they finally just kept it hostage for months. After the BBB complaint,  first they told me I could only have my original warrenty  +3 months, which I tried to fight them on but ran out of steam. When they sent it I got a document claiming it included a year of ADP insurance, which was probably a system error but Lenovo IS a system error, so....  When these scratches became noticable a few months ago (after having the laptop for 2 months) I discovered that the insurance receipt they'd sent me was revoked so I only had two weeks remaining, and honestly, dealing with them while my previous laptop WAS under warrenty was such a tramautic nightmare it's not really something I want to go through again. I'm only dipping my toes into the nightmare of trying to get it fixed because it's becoming significantly worse, likely because using the stylus on the screen daily for my work is scraping all the holes bigger. 

I just want to see if any of the many people who've had this issue have come up with a workable non-Lenovo-involed solution. If it comes to replacing the screen I'll happily pay a third party to do it, but seeing as they'll have to use a Lenovo part for it, it'll probably take 6 months for the part to arrive and then burst into flame. But at least I'll be able to call the repair person on the phone and have a laptop in my possession while waiting.

gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 752
Message 6 of 13

I purchased a Celicious laptop screen protector in matte, and the scratches are now basically invisible! Hopefully this will remain in 24h when the protector is finished 100% adhering to the screen, and it wont cause any touch or pen problems. Fingers crossed!
gwilson19
Punch Card
Views: 730
Message 7 of 13

glbekk,

Can you post the exact screen protector you purchased? I tried to look for one, but it is difficult to confirm if it sports the X1 Yoga 3rd gen with the thinkshutter and no IR camera. 

Does your X1 Yoga 3rd gen have the IR camera?

Thanks,

-frap

gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 697
Message 8 of 13

Hey there,

My yoga does not have the IR camera.

I ordered this protector: https://www.amazon.ca/Celicious-Anti-Glare-Protector-Compatible-ThinkPad/dp/B01ITU3WK2/ref=redir_mob...

Which I assume is not intended for the IR camera, as they have another listing here, which claims it is for the IR camera: https://www.amazon.ca/Celicious-Anti-Glare-Protector-Compatible-ThinkPad/dp/B07NBYCBRZ/ref=sr_1_5?ke...

However, I thought the shape of this protector was a little weird, and now I'm realizing that the shape at the top probably is for the ir camera. I personally don't care, I never draw near the camera and there are no keys up there to scratch the screen.  This is the second Celicious protector I've used, I had one on my 720 for the few months I had that thing and it was great.

gblekk
Core Memory
Views: 694
Message 9 of 13

before.jpgBefore screen protector

after.jpgAfter Screen Protector

JIHOODAD
Punch Card
Views: 683
Message 10 of 13

Does this happen to all x1's or just the touch models?  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors