Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marazzi73
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,234
Message 1 of 6

Setting up a SIM Card in a X1 Yoga

Hi Everyone

I really hope someone can assist. I am trying to get my SIM Card working in my X1 Yoga (UK Version). I have put in a Vodafone 4G Card, but the Laptop doesnt seem to recognise that I have installed anything (tried the obvious of rebooting, etc). I installed the SIM in a phone and it works immediately.

I have established with Vodafone it is not the SIM Card, and they have set it up for Data use in a laptop.

I have also attempted a number of times to install the Sierra software in the hope it will 'see' the SIM Card. The installation process goes all the way to the end, but then I cannot see any software on my laptop, even after rebooting.

I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help by sharing how they have set their SIM card up, or point me in the right direction on what I need to do?

Would love to get this working.

Thanks for any suggested ideas on what to do

Marc

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 15,211
Message 2 of 6

Re: Setting up a SIM Card in a X1 Yoga

Does your X1 Yoga have a WWAN card fitted? All X1 Yogas have the SIM card slot, and all X1 Yogas other than the WiGig version and possibly all those with OLED displays have WWAN antennas (the WiGig antenna takes the space that would be used by one of the two WWAN antennas, making WiGig and WWAN mutually incompatible). However, the WWAN card is only fitted to certain non-WiGig variants.

Take a look in Device Manager (right click the Windows logo if you are using Windows 8 or later, then choose 'Device Manager') and see if you can see any WWAN devices in 'Network adapters'. If your machine wasn't configured to order, it would also be helpful if you posted the entire 10 character code starting with 20FQ or 20FR that pertains to your system, as that will allow the factory specification to be looked up. Do not post the serial number.

The WWAN card can be added if your machine has WWAN antennas but no WWAN card. However, it is not an especially cheap part. Edit to add: Lenovo parts UK are currently quoting a price of £181.76 for a retail customer wishing to buy the Sierra EM7455 WWAN card, FRU 00JT542. If you have a machine with the OLED display, I would double check you have WWAN antenna cables before ordering the card, as there has been some mention of Lenovo not selling OLED machines with either WWAN or WiGig.

Marazzi73
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,206
Message 3 of 6

Thanks a lot for the fast reply, David.

It doesnt look good for me Smiley Sad

In my network adapters, I cannot see anything that starts with WWAN, just WAN and an Intel dual-band wireless-ac 8260. Nothing else that might resemble a WWAN adapter.

The system is 20FQ-001VUS, if that helps any.

Thanks again

Marc

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 15,202
Message 4 of 6

20FQ001VUS is a US model, not worldwide. Especially if you didn't buy from Lenovo's UK store or a Lenovo reseller in the UK, it's possible you have a US machine with a UK power cable.

If you really have 20FQ001VUS, it has no factory fitted WWAN card according to PSREF.

Marazzi73
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,200
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again.

Yes, it is a company issued laptop, and as I work for a company based out of the US, they ordered me a domestic version. Most annoying for the # sign and a few other things Smiley Happy

OK, well that answers the question I have had all weekend, so thanks a lot. I will have to either get a USB Sim adapter or give the SIM back!

Cheers

Marc

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 15,185
Message 6 of 6

I have an Android phone on Vodafone 4G, and normally use Wi-Fi tethering to share that connection with my X1 Yoga. If I'm going to a location with no good Vodafone coverage or am going on an extended trip that would take me over my phone's data allowance, I take a small 4G Wi-Fi router along with me (a Netgear AC785S with a Three SIM).

You can buy a 4G USB dongle or 4G Wi-Fi router for much less than the cost of a Lenovo WWAN card, though if you can make a business case for the WWAN card, it's fairly simple to fit. If you are buying second hand WWAN hardware, be careful that the device you are purchasing is either unlocked or is locked to Vodafone UK and will work with your specific SIM.

I had integrated WWAN in my old laptop, but stopped using it as it had no 4G support. I now prefer the flexibility of not having integrated WWAN, as I use multiple devices with my WWAN connection, also the WWAN card is obsolete long before the useful lifetime of the laptop is reached. My X1 Yoga has WiGig, so cannot have WWAN antennas fitted anyway.

Top Kudoed Authors