Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FateMaster
Punch Card
Views: 1,389
Message 1 of 4

Setting up my new X230 - Lots of thanks in advance for helping me!

Dear all,

I am really glad to join the big family of thinkpad. My X230 is my new beloved laptop and I want to treat it well Smiley Happy

Could anyone give me some tips regarding how I should set it up to take full advantage of the unique features of the Thinkpad? I know that the laptop has unique softwares such as the Thinkvantage, but I am hoping to get some more specific tips targetted at the model X230 only. Many thanks!

Alex

ceb
WWAN
Views: 1,366
Message 2 of 4

Re: Setting up my new X230 - Lots of thanks in advance for helping me!

You'll want to decide which software to remove.

You'll want to make recovery media

You'll want to personalize your machine and make a full backup.

For non-techies, I recommend downloading a copy of Decrapifier to list and allow you to remove whatever software you don't want - the demo versions of programs and trial versions.

I also recommend installing CC Cleaner to keep your laptop humming along nicely.

Of course you'll need to install anti-virus software before you do anything else. Don't forget to update all of your drivers.

Good luck

FateMaster
Punch Card
Views: 1,338
Message 3 of 4

Thanks a lot mate! You are very kind and helpful.

Apologies in advance if my questions will seem naive below.

1. When you are referring to backup, were you suggesting me to burn a DVD? Or create a restore point? 

2. Just wondering, could you kindly give me some advises regarding the fan management of thinpad? My girlfriend has a X200 and her machine is very noisy with the fan and becomes unacceptably hot after a while of use... Quite worried about that...

ceb
WWAN
Views: 1,331
Message 4 of 4

@FateMaster wrote:

Thanks a lot mate! You are very kind and helpful.

Apologies in advance if my questions will seem naive below.

1. When you are referring to backup, were you suggesting me to burn a DVD? Or create a restore point? 

2. Just wondering, could you kindly give me some advises regarding the fan management of thinpad? My girlfriend has a X200 and her machine is very noisy with the fan and becomes unacceptably hot after a while of use... Quite worried about that...

Do both. I've not had much luck with restore points and they won't do you any good if your hdd fails.

I do two things once I've set up my computer to exactly the way I want it.

First, I create a disk image using any one of the available tools (I use Acronis but there are several free ones out there) on a series of DVDs and repeat that every 6 months or so. I keep the original and destroy interim copies as I make new ones.

Secondly, I set up a regular (daily for me) backup schedule for my documents. I use a wireless backup solution but you can back up to a USB stick or the like. Once every couple of months I back up my backup to DVDs.

I've not had issues with the fan on the x230 so I can't help with that. I just let the system manage that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors