Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

56 Posts

04-19-2013

Ireland

86 Signins

530 Page Views

• Views: 530
  • Message 1 of 16

Settings for battery optimal life on X230

2014-05-31, 17:18 PM

I have an X230 Thinkpad which is about 10 months old. I am getting a new batter (6 cell) as the one it came with isn't giving me good performance - usually only lasts about 2 hours of use. I have the original battery set to "automatically optimize for battery lifespan" in Power Manager. This is my typical use:

1. Charge battery to 100%. Unplug from AC power.

2. Use laptop on battery until it is anywhere from 10% to 20% - then plug in and recharge to 100%. Several cycles in a day if heavy use.

3. Sometimes the charge cycle is overnight, so it stays plugged in after reaching 100% for several hours - never more than about 8 if it is truly overnight.

4. I put it to sleep manually (FnF4) between active sessions.

Is there something I can do differently to ensure that the battery both performs well and also lasts more than the 10 months this one has. I never run it consistently on AC power - though I could some of the time. When it was new, I got many more hours on a charge - now it is needing several charges in a day.

I have read different things that say never charge it to 100% - but is a setting of 99% as the stopping point a good alternative? I had set it for a manual threshold for a time - but it needed a charge more frequently when set at soemthing like a 90%-30% type of charging scheme.

Also - I have 4 GB RAM, run Win 7 Home Premium, and use a USB mouse and a WiFi hotspot at home if those have any effect.

Thanks so much! Any ideas appreciated!

Lily

Options

3019 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Settings for battery optimal life on X230

2014-06-02, 11:20 AM

Hi HLily,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

We understood that your query is about setting the battery for more backup and optimal life on ThinkPad system.

Regarding to control the energy efficiently and improve the battery life, I suggest you to install Lenovo Power Manager Application.

Download latest version of Lenovo Power Manger Application from Lenovo support page.

Please click here to know how to setup the Lenovo Power Manager Application.

Hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

56 Posts

04-19-2013

Ireland

86 Signins

530 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2014-06-02, 12:11 PM

Hello Hemanth,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the Power Manager installed and have been using it. The info you sent is quite detailed, so I will take a closer look at it, but I guess my question was really to see what the best settings are to maintain battery life and performance over time.

I am using the Energy Saver Power Plan, and in Battery maintenance, I have it set to "Automatically Optimize for Battery Lifespan" - but I wanted to know if there is a better way to set it to get more than the 10 months or so that I've gotten from the battery I have been using. Would setting it to stop at 99% be better? Should I let it disharge to 10 or 15% each time - I do usually start to recharge around 20-25% now? 

Also - when I get the new battery - how long should I let it charge the frist time - just till it reaches 100% or for a certain number of hours?

Thanks for the advice - I appreciate the response.

Lily

Options

3019 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 4 of 16

2014-06-02, 12:32 PM

Hi HLily,

Thank you for replying back!

The option you have selected is perfect, and I also suggest you to perform the below setting for Power plan option.

The Lenovo default Power manger setting will help to improve the battery life span for the system.

Please click here to visit the link on setup the power plan option in Lenovo Power Manager.

Hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

12951 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17885 Signins

178185 Page Views

• Views: 178185
  • Message 5 of 16

2014-06-02, 13:17 PM

HLily,

do not use Auto Optimize option, actually in this case the battery almost always is fully charged when laptop is connected to the AC adapter, from 96 to 100%.
I'd advice to set the custom charge threshold, from 40..45% to 90...95%.

The current new generation of Lenovo batteries do not need special training actions, just fully charge it at once.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

56 Posts

04-19-2013

Ireland

86 Signins

530 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2014-06-02, 13:58 PM

Thanks! 

OK - so set it to Power Source Optimized and custom charge setting for 40..45% to 90...95%...correct?

Just one other question - won't that charge setting cause me to need to keep it on AC power most of the time? Right now,  it usually goes from 100% to about 20% in less than 2 hours off the charger - won't a span of 95% to 40% need to be recharged more frequently? I never keep in on AC power much after it reaches full charge and use it on strictly battery almost all of the time.

I will charge the new one up when it comes and change the settings as you indicated.

Also - how much battery chrge should it lose while in sleep mode? If it sleeps overnight, it generally loses about 10% of the available battery - if it has 85% when I put it into sleep, after 10-12 hours, it wakes with around 75%. 

Thanks!

Lily

Options

12951 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17885 Signins

178185 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2014-06-02, 14:52 PM

HLily,

I'm sorry but your laptop+battery usage profile seems uncomfortable. I think I understand the reasons and fears, so..

Custom Threshold settings are power plan independent. So select the power plan you need or make your own one.

You can leave laptop AC adapter plugged-in and work from that during all of the time as one of the most useful feature of Lenovo Power Manager and original batteries are they don't allow the battery to overchage. It means when the battery charge level will reach upper level of threshold the charging process will be stopped. Even if laptop is powered off or in stand-by mode (with plugged-in AC adapter, of course).

Definitely if you'll leave your current laptop usage profile with new charge threshold you'll need to charge the battery more frequently. But you'll change it. Will you?

One of the most frequent reason of the battery discharging in the sleep mode is Finger Print Reader setting that allows it to wake up and power on the laptop. Or any other devices with that enabled feature.

As you're using laptop from the battery very intensively I'd advice you to perform the battery reset. Look at the option below the threshold charge settings and a short description at the window which will appear.

UPD

The new battery in x220/x230 w/o devices wake up options loses a small part of 1% per night, not more.

T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

56 Posts

04-19-2013

Ireland

86 Signins

530 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2014-06-02, 15:17 PM

Thanks for your patience - I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around this issue - LOL! 

So - I'll look into the power plans again and see if I can tweak it.

But, maybe I should run it on AC when I can and not battery if I don't need to - though I was told not to keep it on AC once the battery was charged.

I don't have a finger print reader and I turn off the mouse when sleeping, so there doesn't seem to be anything that should drain it. 

I will also look into the battery reset - perhaps that is an issue also.

I just don't want the new battery to have a less than optimal life as this old one seems to.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions - looks like it is a case of trying a few things to see which works best.

Lily

UPD - but, if this battery is losing 10% or more when sleeping overnight with nothing that would wake it like the FPR - THAT does seem to be an issue, doesn't it?

Options

12951 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17885 Signins

178185 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2014-06-02, 15:38 PM

wrote:

...though I was told not to keep it on AC once the battery was charged.

I don't have a finger print reader and I turn off the mouse when sleeping, so there doesn't seem to be anything that should drain it. 

UPD - but, if this battery is losing 10% or more when sleeping overnight with nothing that would wake it like the FPR - THAT does seem to be an issue, doesn't it?

1. Opinion of those your guys about AC and battery ragarding Lenovo Thinkpads is erroneous.

2. There might be another devices with laptop wake up capability. You can check them out using powercfg command.

3. No, it's not an issue if the battery isn't new, or has many charge cycle count (look it in PM application -> Battery tab), or in bad condition. I'd suggest the reason is your previous laptop usage profile I mentioned above. Now you have the battery with full charge battery capacity less then designed, after battery reset you'll see the actual one. Also battery controller will operate new parameters more correctly.

Options

56 Posts

04-19-2013

Ireland

86 Signins

530 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2014-06-02, 15:47 PM

Thanks for the info!

It actually was a Lenovo tech who told me that about not keeping it on AC after full charge!

For a 10-month old laptop - what would a reasonable cycle count be? Does that change when the battery meter is reset?

Will check for other devices, but I am pretty sure I already turned off everything that could wake the laptop.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help! Much appreciated!!

Lily

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms