Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce5
Paper Tape
Views: 2,869
Message 1 of 8

Shattered Screen on my brand new X1 Yoga! please advise

Hi everybody. I am brand new here. Last week I splurged on a ThinkPad X1 Yoga OLED. Today I fumbled it from literally 6 inches off my carpet and now the touch screen is utterly shattered. I can't believe it! The OLED display seems OK. I am kind of at a loss and would appreciate advice. It's factory refurbished with Lenovo warranty but I don't have any extra accident insurance or anything. I am in Boston USA. Thank you for any advice!lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-broken.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,812
Message 2 of 8

Re: Shattered Screen on my brand new X1 Yoga! please advise

I wish I could say something more encouraging, but things are not good.  Without accidental damage protection, the warranty won't help.  The oled display is a single piece and that's what's broken.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,751
Message 3 of 8

That is so painful to look at!

Many credit cards have additional insurance built in for purchases. Did you check yours?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Bruce5
Paper Tape
Views: 2,734
Message 4 of 8

Thanks, RichK and JaneL for your replies. I understand the situation, and now I'm trying to understand what screen the replacement options are. So far it seems they are these 2:

(1) Use my Lenovo case number to work with the official Lenovo service system, who will have me mail my laptop to them after I pay a $650 deposit. The most unnerving part of this option is that Lenovo support/chat did not recognize the concept of OLED, and so I couldn't get any clarity about what impact that has on my repair options and cost

(2) Take my laptop to one of a couple local certified service centers. Both told me the same thing: after I bring in my laptop, they'll get the exact same part and replace it. But neither technician could say anything about ramifications or options w.r.t. OLED.

So my takeaway is that even though I'd like to research the possibility of a non-OLED replacement screen, this is not an option, because the replacement must be identical.

It's also unnerving that people seem to expect $600+ for the replacement but that's without factoring in OLED, which no one seems equipped to speak to.

Most unnerving, I actually can't find any evidence that anyone, Lenovo included, has the OLED screen as a replacement part. (All the replacement screens say WQHD no-glare.) Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help, everybody

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,720
Message 5 of 8

The oled screens are in short supply.  Screen manufacturing has been slow by suppliers.  I have never seen the screens being sold by themselves, but I would guess that service could get one.  (The ones you can find are non-oled)   I have not taken one apart, but I am guessing that they need a different lid and hinges.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bruce5
Paper Tape
Views: 2,678
Message 6 of 8

Thanks RichK. Yes it seems you are right on all counts. Through service reps I have finally discovered the part number is 01aw977. Replacement OLED screens do exist! For maybe $750 + installation

mschaffer
Punch Card
Views: 2,626
Message 7 of 8

Just my $0.02 regarding Lenovo's depot service in the USA.  Last year I sent a T450s to them for service.   I sent it in because it would not turn on---it was stone cold dead after closing the lid and putting it to sleep.

It took ~1 month to get it back.  When I did get it back they had replaced the motherboard and LCD display (for some reason).  Every screw head on the exterior of the laptop was badly damaged---so damaged that I had great difficulty opening the case.  When I looked inside they didn't even have the correct screw holding in the HDD assembly.  Also, almost all of the black plastic insulating sheets (covering the ram, WLAN, WWAN, etc.) were horribly bent and crumpled.  I guess that they just don't care about quality. 

kenshiro
Punch Card
Views: 2,570
Message 8 of 8

I hope you got your order in. When I spoke with escalated customer care last week there were only 2 in all of North America (both in Canada).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors