Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdeveringham
Paper Tape
Views: 726
Message 1 of 5

Short Battery Life, but a lot of heat.

We purchaced a dozen X1 carbon 3444-CU laptops a while back and were seeing short battery life and they seem to be getting hotter then what I would concider "normal". I'm looking to find out what the "normal" is. Our users have an RPD session constantly open along with between 1-5 chrome tabs.

What is the battery life range on a X1 carbon 3444-CU?

What is the max heat that the X1 carbon 3444-CU is going to give off?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 718
Message 2 of 5

Re: Short Battery Life, but a lot of heat.

Hi cdeveringham, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

According to the PSREF (PDF), when new that machine delivered "up to 8.2 hr" of life. It won't get anywhere near that for two reasons: 1. The machine is at least 5 years old and the battery will be close to the end of its life ,and normal aging results in degraded runtime (unless you replaced it). 2. The claimed runtime, particulalry at that time, assumed a favorable setup rarely used in real life. I would assume about half for a new battery, less if your setup is more power-hungry.

As for them getting hotter than "normal" it's possible that what today's Windows and applications are working the machine harder than they were 5 years ago. Lenovo doesn't publish "max heat given off".

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
cdeveringham
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 3 of 5

I understand, also on these laptops I have replaced the battery. The next day the same user came back and said nothing changed, using battery life software I'm seeing that the life % is around 90% for most users.

Thank you for the input! I looked through that pdf and they all give off that 8 hour life. Is there a workload battery expectation time for these machines?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 691
Message 4 of 5

There aren't any more detailed descriptions of workload vs time. Quoted battery runtimes tend to be marketing-driven and based on light loads. If the same batteries have suddenly started giving less runtime I would be looking for some software or setting which has changed and resulted in the machine working harder, for instance graphics software, or security software, or scanning, or indexing, or monitoring, or new version of one of your applications,... you get the idea.

On newer systems, an open benchmark is used (MobileMark 2014). 

For instance the latest X1 Carbon 6th (PSREF PDF) quotes runtime like this:

MobileMark 2014: 19.3 hr
* Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, & other factors

But even given that, it's really hard to predict what your particular software and settings will demand from the battery, so I would use a large margin when estimating real world runtimes.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
cdeveringham
Paper Tape
Views: 673
Message 5 of 5

Right on, Ifigured the answer wouldn't be cut and dry. But I've ran battery test serveral time (not the one you mentioned yet) and they seem to yeild the same results. Also not much has changed, I think user expectation for battery life is the real issue. I was just looking for statistics to "prove" to the client that this was the case. I'll try that software out, thanks for the help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors