Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,783
Message 1 of 38

Sierra Wireless MC8355 on Windows 10

I've installed Sierra MC8355 drivers on Windows 10 64-bit. Drivers installed successfully, Network connections show new 'Cellular' connection, Device manager shows new Sierra 8355 devices which have drivers installed. So it looks like everything is ok with drivers (Windows 8.1 drivers) on Windows 10.

My question is - what should I install to be able to use that 3G and GPS? How can I perform a 3G connection and run GPS tracking? I tried software for Windows 7 - it failed.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,719
Message 2 of 38

Re: Sierra Wireless MC8355 on Windows 10

Hi and welcome, Oxeli

Please, clarify: aren't you able to establish 3g connection using win10 mobile broadband features? What are the symptoms?

To enable GPS capabilities, reinstall the drivers with option GPS=1 in the setup command line (note, use the setup installer, not the drivers package). Or, if there is configuration file in the folder where drivers are being extracted, change appropriate settings within it.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,694
Message 3 of 38

Actually I don't know how to establish 3g connection in windows 10. What application should I run to do it?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,689
Message 4 of 38

Use win10 built-in MBN features.

In order to establish mobile broadband connection:
1. WWAN Autoconfig service (Автонастройка WWAN) should work
2. insert the SIM card. If it's recognized, Windows connection profile has the proper settings, Airplan mode is disabled, you should see mobile operator network name in the network settings pane:
Start menu - Settings - Network & Internet - Cellular - Show available connections.

Click Connect or, if you have administrative privileges and Windows default connection profile doesn't allow to establish connection, mainly because of the APN settings, fill in appropriate connection settings.

Note, mc8355 has a lot of firmware for different network types and operators. By default drivers installer loads fw for the Verizon (CDMA) network, not compatible with UMTS one. Since there are different networks in the Ukraine (both CDMA & UMTS), you might face some difficulties. Let me know the troubles simptoms and operator name (network type) if you'll face some issues.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,682
Message 5 of 38

Thank you for your reply. I've got new SIM card and installed it correctly. After 2 reboots I've got my Mobile connection to be workable. That's great.

Now I'd like to know how to make use of GPS in windows.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,678
Message 6 of 38

Glad to see that.

I mentioned earlier drivers installation needs. If NMEA port has appeared in the system (Device Manager), now you should enable GPS receiver.

To do that:
1. use appropriate tool. Lenovo offers such tool for win7 and earlier OSs - GPS Enabler. Also, it's possible to turn on/off receiver using AT command (use the simplest batch file)
2. some location applications have such features, to enable/disable the receiver
3. Windows 8 and later operate with GPS sensor, not GPS NMEA port, and are capable to manage the sensor (enable/disable). So, reinstall wwan card drivers with sensor drivers (LOCATIONDRIVER=1 in the command line of the installer or in the configuration file). If sensor port will not appear in the system, but NMEA port persists, it's possible to remap NMEA port to the sensor one using 3rd party driver.

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,663
Message 7 of 38

I have NMEA port COM9 in devices. I tried some navigation applications. It looks like they find my coordinates by GPS.

Third variant that you mentioned is most interesting. But I don't know how to distinguish sensor drivers from card drivers. Or did you mean to reinstall wwan drivers with some option?

I installed Sierra WAN drivers. Also I installed "ThinkVantage GPS" package. I'm not sure what the last is for.

How to check if sensor port exist in Windows 10? And how to remap?

And the last question. What is your prefarable GPS application?

Thanks.

PS: my system: x230t i7-3520 16G kingston ssd 240G gobi3000 3g gps

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,653
Message 8 of 38

1. Yes, I meant drivers reinstallation with option in the commmand line. Or edit configuration file in the folder where drivers package is extracted. If sensor will appear in the system, you'll not need to remap NMEA port to the sensor.
Sensor is usefull for most of modern location based widgets, they can't work with NMEA data directly.

2. "ThinkVantage GPS" == GPS Enabler application I meant, it's very good if it works under win10 (in the compatinility mode?). It manages GPS receiver, enables XTRA mode for the fast fix (to do that it uses mobile broadband connection to load satellite almanach after receiver cold start), splits the single NMEA port so different application could share it, has internal interface with Google/MS location services.

3. If the sensor drivers are installed, you should see the sensor device in the Device Manager, Windows settings (privacy settings) will have appropriate setting to manage it.

4. I'm using, rarely, the basic Google/Yandex location capabilities, GPS enabler helps with Google connection. SASPlanet is a very good app, but complicated enough for my tasks.

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,646
Message 9 of 38

Based on your tips I found out that I have sensor driver installed. I have both "Sensors\Sierra Wireless Location Sensor" and "Ports\Sierra Wireless MC8355 ... NMEA 9013 (COM9)" devices in the Device Manager.

I tested Navmii and it looks like it uses my GPS. That's great.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I can state that Sierra MC8355 works normally in Win10.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,639
Message 10 of 38

Glad to see your success.

The only question I have - were the win8.1 modem drivers from Lenovo site and ThinkVantage GPS (GPS Enabler) installed in the compatibility mode? The answer will help other forum members.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors