Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 3,240
Message 11 of 38

Re: Sierra Wireless MC8355 on Windows 10

GPS Enabled was installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\GPS Enabler

All Sierra drivers were installed in C:\windows\system32\drivers .

Also I have found the following directories that are related to Sierra:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Wireless Inc\Gobi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Wireless Inc\Lenovo Driver Package

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Wireless Inc\Utils

C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Gobi\Manufacturers\x64

C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Gobi\Manufacturers\x86

I must note that I didn't do any special actions to install drivers in compatibility mode. I just run driver insaller as is. I read that Windows 10 is forward compatible with Windows 8. So my try got success.

I'm not sure about usefullness of the GPS Enabler. It is not available in Start menu. And no other Sierra application are seen in Start menu.

I found out that Windows 10 itself  has good support of WAN and GPS (Location). There is an Action Center that is opened by clicking on tray in Task bar. In Action Center I can Enable/Disable many services. Amon other switches in Action Center there are switches "Mobile" and "Location". Mobile switch enables/disables cellular connection. Location switch enables/disables GPS.

There is also a "Tablet Mode" switch which is usefull of my Thinkpad x230 tablet, which is a convartible laptop. I use it regularly.

So from my point of view Windows 10 looks pretty ready for 3g/GPS devices. No additional utils are required.

Additional interesting thing. When some application starts using location service Windows shows in tray that GPS service is started and searching sattelites.

I suppose that such level of support is because Windows 10 is developped as a single platform for mobiles, tablets and PCs.

Regards.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,237
Message 12 of 38

Good clarification for any new user, thanks.

ThinkVantage GPS app is accessible from the Control Panel directly. In my case it's a part of the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools set, the pack preloaded. Accordingly, there isn't GPS enabler separate entry in the Start menu, just a link to launch the Tools shell.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,230
Message 13 of 38

Also, regarding the files from the drivers package:
there should be a tool, GobiImgMgr.exe, usually placed in the same folder with GobiQDLService. It allows to switch default firmware image for the certain cellular network (operator). It might be helpful if you've installed drivers with default image # (i.e.Verizon) to speed up modem initialization, and in case you'e traveling and want to connect to another network.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 3,230
Message 14 of 38

@x220forme wrote:

Good clarification for any new user, thanks.

ThinkVantage GPS app is accessible from the Control Panel directly. In my case it's a part of the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools set, the pack preloaded. Accordingly, there isn't GPS enabler separate entry in the Start menu, just a link to launch the Tools shell.

I don't see anything that you mentioned in my Control Panel. I have only "Lenovo - Update and Drivers (32-bit)" and "Lenovo - Microphone Mute". I see no ThinkVantage tool to start that I saw in Windows 7.

Also, regarding the files from the drivers package:
there should be a tool, GobiImgMgr.exe, usually placed in the same folder with GobiQDLService. It allows to switch default firmware image for the certain cellular network (operator). It might be helpful if you've installed drivers with default image # (i.e.Verizon) to speed up modem initialization, and in case you'e traveling and want to connect to another network.

Useful info. Thanks!

TVDH
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,180
Message 15 of 38

where can i find driver mc8355 for windows 10, show me the link pls
Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 3,179
Message 16 of 38

Just install the driver for Windows 8. There is a backward compatibility.

khoiril
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,137
Message 17 of 38

dear all,

I have the same problem,

my hardware thinkpad X131e using windows 10 Pro 64bit

driver  installed correctly ( I use win8.1 64 driver )

sim card has inserted correctly

but there is no network name on my sellular signal

it shows " Account not Active" under cellular signal bar

so how to resolve this problem

thanks

Oxeli
Paper Tape
Views: 3,131
Message 18 of 38

Something similar was in my case. I rebooted a laptop into BIOS, switched Off and On a WAN card, saved BIOS settings and booted back Windows.

Also It may be a case when you purchased a fresh Sim and it must be activated first. Take out your sim card, put it into a phone and activate it according to your cellular operator instructions. Than put a Sim back into your laptop.

Than open Action Centre and switch On 'Mobile'. It will power on your WAN card.

khoiril
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,126
Message 19 of 38

my sim card already activated (i took from my phone)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,116
Message 20 of 38

khoiril,

what operator and network type are you connecting to? Is it an Indonesian operator?

If you'e facing an item in the cellular settings and have administrative privileges, are you able to open settings pane for that cellular connection profile?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors