cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lars_m
Punch Card
Views: 2,576
Message 1 of 5

Silence X230: Swap HDD for SSD or install mSATA SSD along HDD?

Hi,

I have a x230 with a 320gb HDD (7500 rpm) and want to replace it with a SSD to have a completely silent machine.

Right now, most of the time the only noise I hear from the machine is the HDD spinning and TP Fancontrol shows that mostly the fans aren't spinning at all. I can afford a 128gb SSD but I am confused if I should replace the HDD with a SSD or supplement it with a mSATA SSD and install Windows there, instead. The latter would of course give me 320gb of HDD space, which would be nice, but my priority is silence, so I need to know if the HDD can be powered down completely except when I need files from it? If the HDD wakes up now and then because of some hidden windows process I can't control, I would rather just go with a regular SSD instead of the mSATA SSD. I can live with less space.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

lars_m
Punch Card
Views: 2,500
Message 2 of 5

Re: Silence X230: Swap HDD for SSD or install mSATA SSD along HDD?

Well, I bought a regular 120gb SSD and replaced the HDD. The x230 is dead quit now (except some very faint high pitched static noise I can hear from the processor area when I hold my ear down to it).

ssam
Paper Tape
Views: 2,485
Message 3 of 5

If you install your OS and apps on the mSATA ssd and just use the HDD for file storage then I think the HDD will only spin up when you access those specific files.
Highlighted
RichardW
802.11n
Views: 2,472
Message 4 of 5

@ssam wrote:
If you install your OS and apps on the mSATA ssd and just use the HDD for file storage then I think the HDD will only spin up when you access those specific files.

The Control Panel (Power Options) and Lenovo Power Manager have settings for the hard drive to turn off after a period of inactivity. However, the settings apply to all drives. Individual hard drives do not have separate settings. I believe that the system won't shut down the hard drive as long as there is activity happening on an mSATA SSD.

lars_m
Punch Card
Views: 2,451
Message 5 of 5

___

RichardW wrote:

Individual hard drives do not have separate settings. I believe that the system won't shut down the hard drive as long as there is activity happening on an mSATA SSD.Thanks guys.

___

Yes, that was what I feared. And after I talked to a Lenovo supporter here in Denmark and was told that installing the mSATA SSD would  void my guarantee, I played it safe and got a "standard" 120gb SSD and swapped out the HDD as mentioned.

Now my x230 is blissfully silent!  Worth every penny. Speed and ruggedness (not having to wait for standby mode to kick in before stuffing the computer in a bag is great) are welcome bonusses, and having my rarely used files on an external drive is perfectly fine. 

(don't know why the quote-feature didn't work)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors