Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-04-2020

Argentina

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

Sim Card or ESim for Lenovo X1 Yoga 4th Gen ??

2020-09-04, 0:22 AM

Hello, I purchased this computer (Type 20QG) and want to use a sim card as an optional connection when I dont have wifi (doesnt have a sim slot on the sides), Ive been searching a bit and it seems I need to purchase a m2 card that goes in a blank slot under the M2 ssd. Apparently the model is Fibocom L850-GL

Is this correct ? this card does not have a sim slot on it to insert a sim card so I guess it would enable me to use a esim ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
C.

Options

8954 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77740 Signins

2225375 Page Views

• Views: 2225375
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Sim Card or ESim for Lenovo X1 Yoga 4th Gen ??

2020-09-04, 0:37 AM

Be a little careful with this.  The way I read the spec an upgrade is not possible.  No SIM slot - which you have discovered - and presumably (I admit this is my assumption) no antennas.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_4th_Gen/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_4th_Gen_Spec.PDF

"For non-WWAN model, it means the model is NOT WWAN upgradable"

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

76 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

185 Signins

1336 Page Views

• Views: 1336
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-09-04, 1:22 AM

This is not correct.

X1Y4 has 2 different models---with WWAN, and without WWAN.

without WWAN model has fully CNC machined metal C Cover/keyboard assembly, there's no way to install WWAN antenna, and no way to upgrade.

with WWAN model has composite C cover/keyboard assembly, the lower part of the C cover is plastic, which can be used to install WWAN antenna.

These 2 models also have different bottom cover, without WWAN model is fully die cast metal,  with WWAN model is partial die cast metal with plastic parts for antenna 

(see photo, this is the bottom cover for with WWAN model, top edge is plastic for WWAN antenna ).

So if your model has no WWAN, it is highly likely you have to replace the C cover/keyboard assembly, bottom cover before you can install a WWAN card. Also you need an antenna kit and WWAN card,

Anyway, it is not a simple job, especially to replace the C cover/keyboard assembly.

By the way, Fibocom L850GL supports both sim and e-sim, but you have to have a physical sim card with e-sim capability from your phone company to activate e-sim, once insert, you can add e-sim via windows 10 control panel.

@ Coco1512 wrote:

Hello, I purchased this computer (Type 20QG) and want to use a sim card as an optional connection when I dont have wifi (doesnt have a sim slot on the sides), Ive been searching a bit and it seems I need to purchase a m2 card that goes in a blank slot under the M2 ssd. Apparently the model is Fibocom L850-GL

Is this correct ? this card does not have a sim slot on it to insert a sim card so I guess it would enable me to use a esim ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
C.

Options

2 Posts

09-04-2020

Argentina

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-09-04, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I have considered it might be a non wwan model but if there is a available m2 slot and antenas go connected to the fibocom card maybe it would work. Ill have to make sure its the non wwan model then.
Options

6409 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28913 Signins

1656068 Page Views

• Views: 1656068
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-09-04, 16:35 PM

@ Coco1512 wrote:

Thanks, I have considered it might be a non wwan model but if there is a available m2 slot and antenas go connected to the fibocom card maybe it would work. Ill have to make sure its the non wwan model then.

Good day.

If you post your 10 character machine type-model number, located on the sticker on the laptop bottom, we may be able to help you further. Please do not post your serial number in the open forum.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

1 Posts

02-22-2021

Hungary

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-02-22, 21:32 PM

I have Yoga x1 gen 4( with 10th generation i7 on board). US version WITHOUT WWAN. I can confirm for everyone that WWAN retrofit is- Possible. Take more close look to board you have,and you will find solution very easy. Card and antenna is required.

BR,

Jegor,

FemtoEVO Remote Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms