cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbobst
Blue Screen Again
Views: 641
Message 1 of 4

Slice battery craziness-What part number IS it???

Last September we purchased 5 slice batteries for our X230 systems.  One of them went bad about a month and a half ago, and I opened a warranty replacement ticket with Lenovo but they can't find a replacement battery to ship me (it's been out of stock for about 6 weeks now).  They shipped out an incorrect battery at first, and I am getting the run around with various warranty, tech support, shipping, and status departments (I've been transfered to them all, have to explain my situation over and over again, only to get more confusion each time).

The battery I have has TWO part numbers printed on it, but they can't seem to ever cross reference these part numbers with the battery.  The place we ordered these batteries from (CDW) have a Manufacturing Part number which is a completely different part number and which is NOT printed on the battery itself anywhere.  Then, I just got off the phone with another person at Lenovo who gave me a slightly different part number, and then another part number (5 so far).  How can there be so many different part numbers for the same battery and how can Lenovo not be able to cross reference them?

On the battery itself, I have two part numbers (again, why two???)

FRU P/N:  42T4967

ASM P/N:  42T4904

Then, there is a manufacturer part number (not listed on the battery anywhere) 0A36280

Then there is a fourth part number they gave me which is 42T4903

Then they gave me another part number of 45N1035

How can this be so complicated and why so many part numbers?

Former Employee
Views: 619
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slice battery craziness-What part number IS it???

Hello Jbobst,

I'm sorry for all the confusion, and understand your frustration with so many part numbers. Surely this is an opportunity for change. Please use the link for better support. The sales team will provide details on availability. 

http://www.lenovoquickpick.com/usa/system/thinkpad/x-series/x230-tablet-x230i-tablet

Thanks

Bgriffin2

Social Media

Bgriffin2

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Former Administrator
Views: 570
Message 3 of 4

jbobst,

Given the time elapsed since purchase, this would generally need to be addressed through service.  Service will deal exclusively with FRU or field replacement units.

During product life, we may introduce newer versions of a component or we may have an alternate supplier which can have a different FRU number but be functionally interchangable.   When newer parts are released, generally the older FRU subs to the newer one so if you order the older number on a product, if we are out of stock on that, the newer one can be sent instead.  Forward substitution.

I'll agree that this can be confusing and we try to make this seamless for the customer as much as possible.

Let me look into this overnight and see what we can do to locate stock.   I'll work with bgriffin on what we can do to accelerate this for you.

Best regards,

Mark

jbobst
Blue Screen Again
Views: 557
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Mark.  I already have a replacement order in place, but it's been a couple of months, and still so stock availability to ship apparently.

I understand there can be new models/revisions of the same basic part, but when I open a ticket with the parts replacement people, and they cannot even locate the FRU number printed on the part, that really annoys me.  We went around a few times with various part numbers. They say they have already escalated this to a high priority.  After two months though, I would assume they simply don't make this part (or a similar replacement part) any longer.  Maybe there is just a problem with getting these parts for some reason, but I could not get anyone from the parts replacement call center to verify whether they still even manufactured these parts or not.  Even if there was a problem with manufacturing, how does it take more than two months?  We are simply talking about laptop batteries here.

Thanks for the help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors