Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

05-20-2019

Germany

14 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 1 of 5

Slow / power throttling in tablet mode on X1 Yoga

2019-06-25, 0:10 AM

Concerns Thinkpad Yoga X1 Gen 2, Win 10

When I use my X1 Yoga in flipped over mode (keyboard is facing down), I noticed that it runs considerably slower. It is not actually the Windows tablet mode. I have another screen connected and use it with keyboard and mouse in normal desktop mode.

When flipped over, under load the CPU frequency seems to be limited to around 1.9-2 GHz. When I use the laptop in "normal mode" (keyboard facing up), the same settings and tasks lead to CPU frequencies above 3 GHz.

I read about related issues with Yoga laptops and the suggestions to turn off DPTF. However, this setting is not available in the UEFI BIOS for the X1 Yoga Gen.2. Is there any other solution to this? I would like to have the laptop run as fast in either mode so that I can use it as a secondary screen.

Is there a possibility to use throttlestop or Intel XTU to stop the throttling in Yoga mode?

Thanks!

Answer
Options

14 Posts

05-20-2019

Germany

14 Signins

152 Page Views

Re: Slow / power throttling in tablet mode on X1 Yoga

2019-10-26, 7:20 AM

Solution to the described problem:

Go to the Windows Services (run services.msc), find the "Lenovo PM Service", and Disable. If using the laptop regularly in tent mode without requirement for throttling, you can set the service to Manual so that it won't start automatically.

Alternatively, the Lenovo PM driver can be uninstalled.

Both should fix the problem that the laptop won't run at full speed when in tent mode, at least it worked for me.

Replies(4)
Options

4924 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

697 Signins

31240 Page Views

• Views: 31240
  • Message 2 of 5

2019-10-01, 13:42 PM

Hi Chris293137.

Thanks for reaching out. Kindly try checking the BIOS for the Adaptive Thermal Management options which can be found under the POWER options. You would need to set both Scheme for AC and Scheme for Battery to High performance.

Let us know if this helps out.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

14 Posts

05-20-2019

Germany

14 Signins

152 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-10-25, 9:45 AM

Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back. Changing the settings in the BIOS did not help.

I found out that stopping the Lenovo PM service solves the problem. It is the reason for the strong power throttling in tent mode. It limits the maximum package power to about 9 Watts in tent mode, vs. typical values of 15-19 Watts when in Laptop mode. Switchign off the service, the power remains between 15-19 Watts and the clock rate at 3.5 GHz instead of below 3 GHz.

I am not sure why Lenovo chooses to throttle so strongly in tent mode, but there should

a) be an information about this 

b) be a switch in the Lenovo Vantage tools to choose this option

Cheers

Chris

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

United States of America

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-10-25, 18:11 PM

Hi again Chris293137,

You may share to this thread the steps that you've followed to further resolve the problem, so other users can follow the same resolution. Usually, tent mode is for minimal use of the machine like playing videos streaming etc. 

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Answer
Options

14 Posts

05-20-2019

Germany

14 Signins

152 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-10-26, 7:20 AM

Solution to the described problem:

Go to the Windows Services (run services.msc), find the "Lenovo PM Service", and Disable. If using the laptop regularly in tent mode without requirement for throttling, you can set the service to Manual so that it won't start automatically.

Alternatively, the Lenovo PM driver can be uninstalled.

Both should fix the problem that the laptop won't run at full speed when in tent mode, at least it worked for me.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)