cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shawn3090
802.11n
Views: 346
Message 1 of 3

Spilled water on my X1 carbon - what next?

So I knocked over a tall glass of water onto the keyboard of my X1C6. It got into the keyboard, and some onto the screen including the lip where the chassis starts. Immediately threw a ton of paper towel I had at my desk onto it and started soaking it up.

The computer stayed on, and I managed to shut it down normally via the start menu. Then I booted it up into BIOS and selected the disconnect battery option, and the computer powered itself off (power cable was already disconnected).

I then got a proper towel and found that the water was seeping through the drainage hole as expected. Cleaned all of that up, then pushed onto the keyboard to squeeze the water out from under the keys. The exterior is now dry to the unsuspecting eye.

Since the spill, I have not significantly tilted the device at all. What should I expect next, and when should I start using the computer again? Note that the water was (rather hard) tap water.

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 280
Message 2 of 3

Re: Spilled water on my X1 carbon - what next?

Hi Shawn3090! We can't tell when it is safe to use your computer since we don't have a  way to check it on our end. What we suggest is for you to open the computer to check if the parts inside are still wet or not. Should you need assistance in doing that, you can go to a local tech like Best Buy for assistance. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Guru
Views: 257
Message 3 of 3

Re: Spilled water on my X1 carbon - what next?

Wait 2-3 days. Since it's a ThinkPad, it should survive the water spill better than other ultrabooks, but at the end of the day, it's still an ultrabook and the water could have gotten into more than just the keyboard. 

Best of luck!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors