08-24-2018

US

150 Signins

1256 Page Views

• Views: 1256
  • Message 1 of 2

Stubborn design of X1C

2019-09-03, 8:57 AM

Overall X1C is the best laptop on market (even vs. macbook pro).

But still a long way to reach perfection, esp. here are some stubborn designs:

FIRST: The properitary ethernet port and dongle!  

This highly priced accessory LAN dongle has even 2 variants, which confuses customers of Thinkpad (incl. X1) from varied generations. On the other side, USB3 or USB-C dongle for Gb ethernet dongle already so popular at much lower price!

So why not replace it with:

• Another USB-C port
  • or even a side power button(which can only act when screen opened in case to avoid misuse)
  • or much more clever design, e.g. pop-up on-screen shortcuts (vs. macbook touchbar), so you left  hand  activate and right hand control, which make use of both hand and multiple fingers ergonomically and that's TP/X1 targeting users (IT professionals/engineers)

SECOND:  Fn & Ctrl-key:

This has been complained years and ages, but lenovo just does't want to listen to customers and no change! I watched designer's defense video. But why just compromise a bit make the 2 keys physically exactly same size and exchangable (in BIOS has definition) .

THIRD: right-hand fan out:

For people use mouse, it is very annoying when Windows 10 blowing hot wind out directly to your hand! As I wrote in another post about Wx fan noise,  it is a well-known issue for any Windows laptop, becasue M$ has overide OEM BIOS and manipluting overclocked CPU to get higher performance, which burderns intel CPU to heat-up (solution can be found in forum, which is to restrain CPU percentage), that could be another stubborn feature to let M$ over-control such a great machine!
But back to right-hand fan out, would you please change the fins orientation, or more clever, make use of the breathable carbon fiber woven surface?! a lot a innovations can be done here! really!

FOUR: Appealing red logo block!

I hate the bold shining read logo when booting up X1C, X1 or Thinkpad is targeting professionals, humble mind but solid, robust, realibity inside.  Really don't like to open my X1C in plane or train starting the appealing logo!  The red dot sleeping LED is OK, but not effective becasue the native color is not distiguished when light-up, mostly  needs to double check if it goes to sleep.

t.b.c.

Options

7536 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76732 Signins

2144183 Page Views

• Views: 2144183
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Stubborn design of X1C

2019-09-03, 17:18 PM

wrote:

FIRST: The properitary ethernet port and dongle!  

This highly priced accessory LAN dongle has even 2 variants, which confuses customers of Thinkpad (incl. X1) from varied generations. On the other side, USB3 or USB-C dongle for Gb ethernet dongle already so popular at much lower price!

So why not replace it with:

• Another USB-C port
  • or even a side power button(which can only act when screen opened in case to avoid misuse)
  • or much more clever design, e.g. pop-up on-screen shortcuts (vs. macbook touchbar), so you left  hand  activate and right hand control, which make use of both hand and multiple fingers ergonomically and that's TP/X1 targeting users (IT professionals/engineers)

My personal speculation: the proprietery Ethernet port is there for a couple of reasons: PXE booting and pass-through to the side dock(s).

USB 3.0 -> RJ45 is fine for most situations, but for PXE booting a passive pass-through is required - or at least certain to work.

(I do agree about the Ethernet dongle confusion...)

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save