Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 17 (1,370 Views)

Synaptics Touchpad software makes 1 sec polling WMI query causing constant CPU utilization

[ Edited ]

Just got an X1 Yoga 2nd Gen.  Pretty great except I see that WmiPrvSE.exe is constantly using 1-4% CPU in task manager.

After digging I discovered this is due to the following query being executed by SynTPEnh.exe when it starts up:

SELECT * FROM __InstanceCreationEvent WITHIN 1 WHERE TargetInstance ISA 'Win32_Process'

This query string can be seen in the SynTPEnh.exe binary file via SysInternals procexp or strings tools.

The query executes once every second indefinitely.  This seems minor but bad for battery life, but also seems unnecessary for touchpad functionality.

I took a look at the reference SynTPEnh.exe that comes from Synaptics own website.  It does not contain the query string and so presumably does not rely on WMI for any functionality.  However the software on Synaptics appears to be old, from August 2015, so it is unclear if Lenovo or Synaptics has added the query since.

What's up with this?  I'd like to not have my CPU used every second always, but I would also like my touchpad to function correctly.

Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 17 (1,331 Views)

Re: Synaptics Touchpad software makes 1 sec polling WMI query causing constant CPU utilization

Thank you for this problem report and sorry that I didn't notice it earlier.  We will check on this.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 17 (1,209 Views)

Re: Synaptics Touchpad software makes 1 sec polling WMI query causing constant CPU utilization

Thanks!

Any update?

I see a new driver came out over windows update but it still has the WMI polling query in it. And worse, now I can no longer rollback to an older driver that didn't have the query.

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 17 (1,189 Views)

An update on the driver would be greatly appreciated.  Please let us know ASAP.  The X1 Yoga 2 gen is a great peice of hardware and it would be an even better with drivers that don't drain the battery.

Matt 

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 17 (1,099 Views)

Any update on this???  It would be greatly appreciated.

Lenovo Staff
Message 6 of 17 (1,097 Views)

X1 Yoga 2nd-gen fix is already available here:  http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

However I heard that the fix doesn't get applied when you update the driver.  The fix only gets applied when you fresh-install the driver.  So if you install this driver and still see the problem, try uninstalling the driver completely from Device Manager and then re-install it.

This upgrade bug is supposed to be fixed in the next version.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 7 of 17 (1,090 Views)

It isn't fixed.

I tried uninstalling and then installing this .97 version.  The problem is still there.  The WMI query is still in the set of strings in SynTPEnh.exe.  It still gets executed and WmiPrvSE.exe still uses a little CPU constantly.

Community SuperMod
Message 8 of 17 (1,086 Views)

Here, after the .97 driver update without first uninstalling .94, the WMI query was still happening. After uninstalling .97 then re-installing .97, the WMI query problem has gone away. Are you sure you checked "Delete the driver software for this device" when you did the uninstall?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 9 of 17 (1,082 Views)

Yes. I checked the box to delete the driver software when uninstalling. I rebooted. Installed the new driver.

For the first couple minutes it had appeared to have worked. But while I was checking for the WMI query string in SynTPEnh.exe I saw WmiPrvSE.exe start up with its one per second CPU use. And sure enough the WMI query is still in the strings list.

Further, disabling the SynTPEnh service and rebooting leads to zero WmiPrvSE CPU use which again suggests the WMI activity is due to SynTPEnh.

I also see in the release notes that .97 doesn't mention any WMI related fix, but .94 does, but referring to sometimes high usage, which this problem is not. This problem is low but constant usage.

Community SuperMod
Message 10 of 17 (1,077 Views)

OK, my results are different. My machine went from a solid 3-4% CPU WMI query to a solid 0%. I don't think I did anything different, except I did not check the strings list or disable any services. Can you try the uninstall and re-install again?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Top kudoed Authors