Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 6 (742 Views)

Synaptics UltraNav Driver causing WmiPrvSE.exe cpu usage

Hello,

recently I noticed that on my up-to-date Windows 10 (Creators Update) there is a process called "WMI Provider Host" (WmiPrvSE.exe) constantly using 1-3% CPU no matter what you are doing. I've been observing this behaviour just recently (maybe 1-2 weeks). So I started with a fresh (completely clean) Windows 10 installation on my Thinkpad X260. I observed this behaviour instantly after Windows finished its instalation and update process without installing any custom software from Lenovo website. When I try to kill this WMI host instance, it is restarted imidiatelly and problem continues. I attached threads output from ProcessExplorer. I looks like the thread execution is deadlocked or something similar.

So I started digging which application is causing this WMI host cpu usage. After disabling Synaptic Pointing Device service called "SynTPEnhService" this behaviour disappeared. So I started digging around Synaptic executables. I was able to find out, that process causing this cpu usage is SynTPEnh.exe, which I believe is some kind of main (parrent) process for Synaptic driver functions. When I kill this particular process, then I am able to pernamently kill the WMI host causing those troubles. Well, it actually restarts again, but has no cpu usage. I am using latest version of Synaptic drivers available, which is 19.3.4.83. Is anybody else observing such behaviour? What is the solution for this problem? By disabling SynTPEnhService you loose your trackpoint and touchpad setup. 

Thanks for help,

Milan

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 6 (722 Views)

Re: Synaptics UltraNav Driver causing WmiPrvSE.exe cpu usage

I noticed the same with the 5/29 bios update and the recent trackpoint firmware as well using the more recent 19.3.4.86 Synaptic drivers.
Community Moderator
Message 3 of 6 (628 Views)

I've been chasing this issue on my Gen 1 X1 Yoga.  The fix for me was rolling back the driver from 19.3.4.83 to 19.3.4.67.  Don't know if any functionality has been lost.

Wish I'd found this thread before spending a couple of hours with msconfig...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 6 (600 Views)

I can confirm that downgrading to 19.3.4.67 solves the problem. But it's rather a temporary workaround than solution. Anyway, thank you for suggestion.

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 6 (476 Views)

I'm still new to Windows. Can you describe how you downgraded the driver? Thanks!
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 6 (415 Views)

Hello,

you can uninstall current driver from Windows Device Manager. Just find the Synaptic driver item (mouse controllers), rightclick and choose uninstall. Then you have to download the older driver mentioned above. This is tricky. I was not able to find that older driver using normal way on those totally stupid "super modern cool" websites Lenovo Support has. So I found the driver executable name using Google and then I crafted the download link myself. Here is the link:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1cgr11w.exe

Note:

Cool you bought premium Lenovo machine which is more expesive that MacbookPro and actually nobody (including Lenovo) gives a sh*t. With my best Apu voice: "Thank you, come again". Fo me personally, I learnt my lesson. 

Top kudoed Authors