Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjb4
Punch Card
Views: 681
Message 1 of 5

System Board Replacement on X1 Carbon 3443 CTO

My motherboard died on my X1 Carbon Gen 1.  I sent it to lenovo and the repair estimate was ~$750.  I decided to replace it myself but the part for my system FRU 04X0495 (W8P,i7-3667U,8G,F,AMT,TPM,MT) new are quite expensive.  I found a new systemboard FRU 04Y1988 (W8P,i7-3667U,8G,F,AMT,TPM) at a much more reasonable price and installed that.  I now have a working machine (new machine type 3448-3Y2) but no touchscreen (I assume the MT stands for touch monitor or something).

Question, and I think I know the answer, Is there any way to convert or add to my new systemboard the touch screen capability?  I assume it is not just the driver?

thanks, 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 658
Message 2 of 5

Re: System Board Replacement on X1 Carbon 3443 CTO

On 1st gen x1 carbon, the touchpad connector and circuitry are only on some of the motherboards.  MT stands for multitouch.  I have an FRU 04x0340 (i5-3427U ULV 4GB On Board, MT, With FAN, wAMT wTPM) in my hand that I just pulled out of a touch model with a cracked screen.  The screen was broken and it had no SSD, so it wasn't fully tested (just booted into BIOS)  I was going to list it for sale at something like $100 plus shipping, but if you are interested, send me a PM.  Note:  This is a 4GB i5, not an 8GB i7.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
cjb4
Punch Card
Views: 638
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to invest much more in the older machine.  I'll get by without the touch screen.  I was wondering though , is the multitouch built into the circuitry or is it a discrete component on the board?

thanks,

cjb4 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 636
Message 4 of 5

I don't know for certain, but I don't think there is much circuitry.  In general, touch screens connect as a USB device.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
cjb4
Punch Card
Views: 633
Message 5 of 5

I like tinkering so was wandering if there was a way to add it.  Does anyone else out there know?

thanks,

cjb4

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors