Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 5 (203 Views)

System Board Replacement on X1 Carbon 3443 CTO

My motherboard died on my X1 Carbon Gen 1.  I sent it to lenovo and the repair estimate was ~$750.  I decided to replace it myself but the part for my system FRU 04X0495 (W8P,i7-3667U,8G,F,AMT,TPM,MT) new are quite expensive.  I found a new systemboard FRU 04Y1988 (W8P,i7-3667U,8G,F,AMT,TPM) at a much more reasonable price and installed that.  I now have a working machine (new machine type 3448-3Y2) but no touchscreen (I assume the MT stands for touch monitor or something).

Question, and I think I know the answer, Is there any way to convert or add to my new systemboard the touch screen capability?  I assume it is not just the driver?

thanks, 

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 5 (180 Views)

Re: System Board Replacement on X1 Carbon 3443 CTO

On 1st gen x1 carbon, the touchpad connector and circuitry are only on some of the motherboards.  MT stands for multitouch.  I have an FRU 04x0340 (i5-3427U ULV 4GB On Board, MT, With FAN, wAMT wTPM) in my hand that I just pulled out of a touch model with a cracked screen.  The screen was broken and it had no SSD, so it wasn't fully tested (just booted into BIOS)  I was going to list it for sale at something like $100 plus shipping, but if you are interested, send me a PM.  Note:  This is a 4GB i5, not an 8GB i7.  

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Punch Card
Message 3 of 5 (160 Views)

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to invest much more in the older machine.  I'll get by without the touch screen.  I was wondering though , is the multitouch built into the circuitry or is it a discrete component on the board?

thanks,

cjb4 

Community Moderator
Message 4 of 5 (158 Views)

I don't know for certain, but I don't think there is much circuitry.  In general, touch screens connect as a USB device.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Punch Card
Message 5 of 5 (155 Views)

I like tinkering so was wandering if there was a way to add it.  Does anyone else out there know?

thanks,

cjb4

Top kudoed Authors