Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-07-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 4

System Randomly Freezes with 3rd Gen X1 Carbon on Windows 10 (Except in Safe Mode)

2019-01-07, 11:20 AM

Hello,

I would appreciate any help. The system suddenly freezes when used normally. Only in safe mode does it work normally without freezing. When it freezes in regular mode, nothing can be moved or adjusted and the only way is to hold the power button to shut off or restart. 

I tried to do a hardware scan in Lenovo Solution Center but when I hit run test it keeps loading forever. Also, the Lenovo Diagnostics software does not work in Safe Mode. Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks!

Options

7 Posts

01-05-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

118 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 118
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: System Randomly Freezes with 3rd Gen X1 Carbon on Windows 10 (Except in Safe Mode)

2019-01-08, 0:04 AM

Had the same problem.

Trackpad is working fine, what actually is happening is that the display is not refreshing, which gives the false impression the mouse or keyboard is not working.

This is caused by over agressive optimization by Intel Display Driver. 

To disable it right click anywhere on the desktop, then go to "Intel Graphics Settings" -> "Power" -> Disable all four options (Power Saving, Refresh Rate Switching ect).

Options

1 Posts

04-17-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: System Randomly Freezes with 3rd Gen X1 Carbon on Windows 10 (Except in Safe Mode)

2019-04-17, 13:47 PM
Thank you!!! for this tip. I had this same problem on my Lenovo Gen3 Yoga. My laptop seemed to work fine when I was docked. Whenever I was on battery my mouse and keyboard would seem to freeze. My corporate IT tried all kinds of updates with no success till I stumbled on this post. I went through each of the 4 settings and narrowed it down to the panel self refresh. I suspect this display panel has some issues that are no present in all the units because of the 4 in my department only mine had this problem.

So for Lenovo Gen3 Yoga or X1 Carbon you need to:

Right Click on background -> Intel Graphics Settings -> Power -> Panel Self Refresh = Disabled
Options

2 Posts

10-14-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:System Randomly Freezes with 3rd Gen X1 Carbon on Windows 10 (Except in Safe Mode)

2021-10-14, 3:57 AM

Thank you so much for figuring it out! Every time I update my systems I am reminded of this post since the Trackpad starts to lag and I need to keep coming back to this solution. A life changer! 

Recently I have been experiencing a lot of issues with video, specially while on Zoom (it is not due to bandwith). I have tried everything without success. Do you think this might be related to some Intel Graphic card setting?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)