Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pghpete
Paper Tape
Views: 1,254
Message 1 of 3

T470s and Ultra Dock 40a2 dual 4k display port monitors not functioning

I am trying to connect two Sceptre U27 4k monitors via display port to the Thinkpad Ultra Dock 40A2 and i'm not having any luck. With a Thinkpad T470s) I can get 1 working but the other monitor just doesn't see a signal. The only setup i've gotten to work is one monitor at 4k @ 30hz on a Display Port and the other at 1920x1080 via DVI

I have tried:

both display port, 4k @ 30hz (<--- what i'd like to get working since both at 60hz isn't an option with this dock I don't believe)

one display port, 4k @ 30hz, one hdmi 4k @ 30hz (via hdmi on the back of the dock)

one display port, 4k @ 30hz, one hdmi via hdmi port on the side of the laptop

Is anyone familiar with what magic combination of cables and ports would allow me to run both 4k monitors at 30hz, via the two display ports at the back of this dock?

I would think updating the docks firmware may help ( https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-Pro-Dock-ThinkPad-Ultra-Dock-or-Thin... ) but there inlies another issue.  Our corporate image on these laptops is RHEL 7.5 and I do not see an option to flash any firmware available from linux unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pghpete
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 2 of 3

Re: T470s and Ultra Dock 40a2 dual 4k display port monitors not functioning

I'm thinking my best bet may be to use a Display Port to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 cable for one monitor and the docking stations display port for the other.

pghpete
Paper Tape
Views: 1,162
Message 3 of 3

Re: T470s and Ultra Dock 40a2 dual 4k display port monitors not functioning

Well, that was the only workaround I could find. Not optimal but works.

First, I returned the sceptre U27 4k monitors. They were junk. (one came with a bad display port, one came with debris between the led panel and front of the screen)

Second,

I was able to get two 4k Samsung monitors working at 60hz using 1 display port and one display port(monior side) to usb-c port on the side of the laptop, not on docking station.

I'd say thanks for the help, but... Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors