Did you mean: 
Xerrichris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,532
Message 1 of 7

T480S wifi and 3G setup

Hi everyone. 

I have a T480s. 

When purchased I had the 3G antenna etc. installed. WWAN is enabled. 

My wifi card installed when purchased is a Intel Dual band wireless AC 8265. Wifi was working great. 

In order to get my mobile 3G data working. I’ve purschased a Sierra EM7345 modem. 

Ive installed the Sierra modem correctly, However when I re booted, it gave me an error that my network card needs to be removed. I since removed the Intel AC8265 card, the computer then fired up on.

I now have cellular data but no wifi. 

Can someone please shed some light on this. 

Am I meant to leave both modems plugged in? And install drivers to run them. 

When at home id like to use wifi, then when I’m out use the 3G data. 

Thanks 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,510
Message 2 of 7

Re: T480S wifi and 3G setup

Welcome to the Community.

Do you remember the content of error string, the last 8 symbols at the end?

The behavior you've described is strange a bit as the WiFi and WWAN cards aren't interconnected in terms of authorised cards control.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xerrichris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,478
Message 3 of 7

Hi there. Thanks for the reply.

The text says.

“1802: Unauthorised network card is plugged in. Power off and remove the network card. (1199/A001).

System is halted.”

This only occurred when I installed the Sierra card. Could it possibly be the wrong card? I purchased the one recommended on the Lenovo site.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,473
Message 4 of 7

The wwan modem you have is exactly Sierra em7345. But it's not approved for T480s, this is a reason you face the error 1802. T480s shouldn't work with this modem.
The modem em7345 with vid_1199&pid_A001 is for ThinkPads based on Broadwell and Haswell.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xerrichris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,467
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

I re installed the Intel modem. Re booted the T480s and I have Cellular and Wifi working now. No error came up.

It’s intermittent

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,459
Message 6 of 7

> It’s intermittent

I agree. And might be unpredictably.
Did you disable the battery in the BIOS Setup before the wwan/wlan card insertion?

Could you perform some action, cold boot the laptop?
Power off it completely:
- unplug the AC charger
- reboot the laptop and enter the BIOS Setup
- disable the battery, the laptop will be powered off automatically

Boot the laptop, test the wwan and wlan connections.

Xerrichris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,457
Message 7 of 7

Yes absolutely, I ensured that the battery was disabled prior to removing or installing. This is a common practice.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors