Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brent32
What's DOS?
Views: 745
Message 1 of 3

THINKPAD X1 EXTREME - BIOS UPDATE 1.18 - CPU speed capped at 0.78 GHz

After updating my new X1 Extreme to Bois version 1.18, the systems CPU is capped at 0.78GHz, windows shows a MAX useage of 30% no matter what I am doing.

I did verify this is the Bois, I have a second one running 1.17 and if I move the m.2 ssd over to that system the CPU will run to 100% (4GHz). So it's not the windows install or drivers. I have also reset the bios to defaults, same thing.

Has anybody else seen this? How do I go back to 1.17?

Brent

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 680
Message 2 of 3

Re: THINKPAD X1 EXTREME - BIOS UPDATE 1.18 - CPU speed capped at 0.78 GHz

Hi Brent,

Readme of the BIOS Update Utility stated that:

"...If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.18 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 1.18 for boot problem prevention."

For the CPU performance problem, it may sometimes led by "critical battery level", like this case. Check it out and see if it helps.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
Brent32
What's DOS?
Views: 649
Message 3 of 3

Re: THINKPAD X1 EXTREME - BIOS UPDATE 1.18 - CPU speed capped at 0.78 GHz

@BMCowboy wrote:

Hi Brent,

Readme of the BIOS Update Utility stated that:

"...If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.18 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 1.18 for boot problem prevention."

For the CPU performance problem, it may sometimes led by "critical battery level", like this case. Check it out and see if it helps.

Thanks, I looked at the case you linked to above. I tried the solution, telling the laptop to, sleep, close the lid, remove the battery. It did not resolve the issue. the X1 is still only runs at 0.78 GHz.

I loaded up the intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility to see what it will tell me. It showed the computer is being "Power Limited". I did not try to change anything, from what I read on the net about the tool the CPU would be capped at 45W, but is was only using 11W, and "power limit" was being triggered.

Brent

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors