Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 1,593
Message 1 of 26

TP X1 Carbon 6TH CPU idles at almost 4 GHz after 1.25 BIOS Update

First, I've clean installed Wins 10. 

I used Lenovo Vantage to upgrade my bios to the latest version last night and then experience an expressive fan noise since the CPU idles above 4GHz. I can see the BIOS version is 1.25 in the Vantage app. The fan is so noisy that I have to turn the laptop off to get sleep. 

1.jpg

This morning I went to Lenovo's support website, but the latest version of the bios which posted on June 13th is 1.23. But I remember that 1.23 was issue weeks ago.

2.jpg

So I downloaded it and installed it. I open Vantage app and it shows me that the BIOS version is 1.22. So I checked update and it tells me that there's no update. 

5.jpg

Then I went to cmd, but it shows me that the bios is 1.23!!!!

6.jpg

Whatever the bios is, my fan is always running now and no matter what and even crazier at idles since the

CPU frequency will somehow increase! 

3.jpg4.jpg

I wonder when exactly Lenovo can fix this ridiculous fan issue for this 6th gen ThinkPad x1 carbon?

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 1,580
Message 2 of 26

Re: TP X1 Carbon 6TH CPU idles at almost 4 GHz after 1.25 BIOS Update

@thinkpadreally wrote:

I used Lenovo Vantage to upgrade my bios to the latest version last night and then experience an expressive fan noise since the CPU idles above 4GHz. I can see the BIOS version is 1.25 in the Vantage app. The fan is so noisy that I have to turn the laptop off to get sleep. 

1.jpg

This morning I went to Lenovo's support website, but the latest version of the bios which posted on June 13th is 1.23. But I remember that 1.23 was issue weeks ago.

2.jpg

So I downloaded it and installed it. I open Vantage app and it shows me that the BIOS version is 1.22. So I checked update and it tells me that there's no update. 

5.jpg

6.jpg

Whatever the bios is, my fan is always running now and no matter what and even crazier at idles since the

3.jpg4.jpg

I wonder when exactly Lenovo can fix this ridiculous fan issue for this 6th gen ThinkPad x1 carbon?

Did you run the 3 PowerShell commands after you installed Windows 10??

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 1,565
Message 3 of 26

@BrianSu wrote:

@thinkpadreally wrote:

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg

Did you run the 3 PowerShell commands after you installed Windows 10??

They only apply to the unit with Lenovo's factory wins 10 system to change the power settings.

lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 1,539
Message 4 of 26

Interesting (and concerning). I am, per Vantage, at 1.22 after a recent update. I've not noticed anything unusual. In fact, it's been pretty quiet. I did a Vantage check for updates and it says nothing about 3.0. I don't sleep in the same room as my X1, but when I pick it up in the morning it's cold (room temp).
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,535
Message 5 of 26

Hi thinkpadreally,

First, DO NOT rely on what Lenovo Vantage tells you about BIOS version following a BIOS upgrade/downgrade. The version number displayed by Lenovo Vantage is cached somehow and takes a while to catch up. Use the System Information desktop app instead (type System Information in the Search box).

Next BIOS 1.23 IS the latest X1 Carbon 6th Gen BIOS.

Lastly I don't have an X1C6 to play with at the moment, but I have occasionally noticed some odd fan and sleep behavior on other systems during the latest rounds of Windows and Lenovo updates. Try resetting BIOS options to default, and also powering down and pressing the the Emergency Reset button a few times.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 1,530
Message 6 of 26

Bananaman: Thanks for this. I followed the instructions regarding System Information and that reveals the same bios as Vantage: 1.22. I don't see 1.23 nor does Vantage suggest there is a 1.23. How does one reset bios options to default?
thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 1,487
Message 7 of 26

@bananaman wrote:

Hi thinkpadreally,

First, DO NOT rely on what Lenovo Vantage tells you about BIOS version following a BIOS upgrade/downgrade. The version number displayed by Lenovo Vantage is cached somehow and takes a while to catch up. Use the System Information desktop app instead (type System Information in the Search box).

Next BIOS 1.23 IS the latest X1 Carbon 6th Gen BIOS.

Lastly I don't have an X1C6 to play with at the moment, but I have occasionally noticed some odd fan and sleep behavior on other systems during the latest rounds of Windows and Lenovo updates. Try resetting BIOS options to default, and also powering down and pressing the the Emergency Reset button a few times.

Hope this helps!

tried to used f9 and f10 to save the change but the bios is still 1.23. for some reason, it doesn't work.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,466
Message 8 of 26

@lifesaver1 wrote:
Bananaman: Thanks for this. I followed the instructions regarding System Information and that reveals the same bios as Vantage: 1.22. I don't see 1.23 nor does Vantage suggest there is a 1.23. How does one reset bios options to default?

Good day.

You can find v1.23 on the X1C6 support site: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/br/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Select the Drivers & Software tab and scroll down/expand the BIOS section. There are both a bootable CD and an .exe updater.

The update should show up on Vantage, but it's not uncommon for Vantage to lag behind the main driver listing by a bit of time. In the meantime, you have the option of getting it and installing it now.

HTH a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 1,457
Message 9 of 26

Thanks for explaining that Vantage doesn't keep up with the bios available at the Lenovo website. I believe my update to v 1.22 was in May. I see that v 1.23 was posted June 13. For others, the bios notes for 1.23 say, "Security fix addresses LEN-22133 Speculative Execution Side Channel Variants 4 and 3a (CVE-2018-3639, CVE-2018-3640). Refer to Lenovo's Security Advisory page for additional information." In theory, it shouldn't affect fan noise. 

changsta2004
SCSI Port
Views: 1,332
Message 10 of 26

are you still having problems with the fan noise after the BIOS updates?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors