Re: TP X1 Carbon 6TH CPU idles at almost 4 GHz after 1.25 BIOS Update

I am not.
thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 708
Message 12 of 27

@lifesaver1 wrote:

Thanks for explaining that Vantage doesn't keep up with the bios available at the Lenovo website. I believe my update to v 1.22 was in May. I see that v 1.23 was posted June 13. For others, the bios notes for 1.23 say, "Security fix addresses LEN-22133 Speculative Execution Side Channel Variants 4 and 3a (CVE-2018-3639, CVE-2018-3640). Refer to Lenovo's Security Advisory page for additional information." In theory, it shouldn't affect fan noise. 

In theory? You may wanna see how it affect the fan in practice since in theory the brand of ThinkPad should not have and heat management issue in the first place. 

thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 708
Message 13 of 27

@changsta2004 wrote:
are you still having problems with the fan noise after the BIOS updates?

The bios have updated three times since I got my unit. The last version was good with clean MS Wins 10 and the fan noise becomes an issue again after the latest update.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 544
Message 14 of 27

Might have found the smoking gun (certainly something to consider)

The process WMI Provider Host is the only one that keeps consuming high CPU on my machine. Why does this happen? I've found this guide and traced it to the Thunderbolt(TM) Service. After I disabled this, the problem seems to go away.

http://bit.ly/2twNIVq

[Moderator comment: Full URL added for transparency - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/wmi-provider-host-high-c...]

Give this a go. Btw, the same method mentioned in the link above can be used to identify other processes / services that may be causing the issue with WMI Provide Host consuming high CPU %.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 523
Message 15 of 27

This is caused by incorrect power management profiles installed from the factory. We had this issue on all laptops but applied this hotfix and the issue went away: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506625

Once you've done the hotfix you can click on the Windows battery and adjust the slider all the way to the left and it will now Idle at 0.86Ghz. The middle slider is 1.66Ghz. All the way to the right will give you 4Ghz idle. 

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 521
Message 16 of 27

@kpshaver wrote:

This is caused by incorrect power management profiles installed from the factory. We had this issue on all laptops but applied this hotfix and the issue went away: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506625

Once you've done the hotfix you can click on the Windows battery and adjust the slider all the way to the left and it will now Idle at 0.86Ghz. The middle slider is 1.66Ghz. All the way to the right will give you 4Ghz idle. 

Nope that's not enough. This only fixes the CPU idle speed where it was running at max TurboBoost while idle.

One still has to fix the Thunderbolt service issue as it consumes a lot of CPU.

You've obviously not read the my post as there is evidence in the Event Viewer that the issue is caused by the Thunderbolt service and disabling that solved the issue.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 517
Message 17 of 27

For what it's worth, I applied the fix after a clean install and updated the bios two days ago. I've not had any unusual fan issues, except occasionally on some web page or major download/installs. I'm quite pleased after experiening great frustrations. My unit is now cooler than the 3rd generation it replaced.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 514
Message 18 of 27

@lifesaver1 wrote:

For what it's worth, I applied the fix after a clean install and updated the bios two days ago. I've not had any unusual fan issues, except occasionally on some web page or major download/installs. I'm quite pleased after experiening great frustrations. My unit is now cooler than the 3rd generation it replaced.

Good to know. Just checking, is your Thunderbolt Service running??

lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 509
Message 19 of 27

I've made no mods to it, if that helps. It's in a default state I suppose, which I assume means yes, running.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 483
Message 20 of 27

@lifesaver1 wrote:

I've made no mods to it, if that helps. It's in a default state I suppose, which I assume means yes, running.

Hmm I don’t have experience setting up a PC with TB3 port from scratch so I’m not sure whether the Thunderbolt Service gets installed by default. You could check if it’s listed in Services.msc and in the Running state to be sure.

are you able to use TB3 peripherals with your laptop??

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors