Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovuser7773
What's DOS?
Views: 645
Message 1 of 13

Tamper protection & Supervisor password

Hello there guys, I just to start this topic because both Lenovo Support and the store where I bought this laptop didn't still answer as today. even though my laptop has still full warranty…

My problem was that I activated Device Guard in BIOS which automatically activated a lot of other options, like the Supervisor Password, but the "funny" thing about it, is that it didn't asked me anything at all... so I had to type no password. Not knowing Device Guard so well I thought this was a normal behavior and indeed it worked as always for like 3 weeks!

Then since I wanted to try to boot Clonezilla to make a full backup of my system, I tried to boot my USB-Stick which didn't work because of Device Guard. Then I decided to deactivated that in BIOS, but for the first time ever the BIOS really asked me for this Supervisor Password, which I didn't know, so I tried 2 times something random (to try if there was a default one active) and nothing worked, then I gave an empty password and strangely enough it worked out... but all the options to change something connected to security were grayed out.

So, since I though this was a wanted security feature from Device Guard, I went on and searched online for further solutions. There I found out that one can also use this Lenovo BIOS app from the Desktop to modify the same settings one could normally just through the BIOS. But guess what? To all tries to modify anything, I got the response "Access Denied" even to settings that had absolutely nothing to do with security. So I just decided to reboot the computer in the hope to have somehow better luck...

And then I got it... in fact, I was locked out from accessing both the BIOS and the operative system! I tried the blank password and other possibilities but this time nothing worked out. Then I read online about a few solutions like to hard reset the machine, but I also didn't want to try the more "extreme ones" for the sake of the still active warranty. Therefore, I just opened the bottom cover for 2 reasons, the first one is that the first article I read online told me, you have actually to really open the bottom cover to press the little black hard-reset button (I discovered just later, you don’t have to) and the second one was because because of the hard disk.

Of course, not needed to say, that also didn't do a thing against the super mighty Supervisor Password and thereafter it actually started to complain with me because I opened the bottom cover and now I had a "Tamper Detection Problem", which basically just changed the error message, but gave me the exact same problem as before: not being able to access anything without giving this phantom Supervisor Password, which I never was asked to give, in first place.

Update: just now basically I had a talk with Lenovo Support, that first told me that for security advancement reasons, on more recent Lenovo’s models, one cannot hard-reset the Supervisor Password anymore, and then told me that, in these cases, one can only change the motherboard and added that I would have to pay for this anyway no matter the warranty, "Because Lenovo doesn't cover forgotten password"… after I clearly stated that I never create this Supervisor Password I was asked for, they said, that, maybe, an exception would be possible and then the costs would be included in the warranty…

So I wrote here this post, also because I'm curious of how it goes on and to let the Lenovo Support understand even better my problem, since I couldn't explain completely in just 1000 letters, which is the limit for their official "Support Form".

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 625
Message 2 of 13

Re: Tamper protection & Supervisor password

Hi lenovouser7773, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

You can always continue in a second post if you have more to say!

What system are you talking about?

It has never been possible to hard-reset the BIOIS Supervisor Password.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
lenovouser7773
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 3 of 13

Hey, so sure, I'm back, just I had to change my account data, because my password, my LenovoID and/or Email where suddenly not more recognized by the login procedure. Can be that Lenovo lost it?

Updates about my reparation process: my Laptop has been accepted to be repaired on-site by Lenovo (thank you Daniel!) Smiley Happy And as much as I understood from Daniel, the technician should have been ready to meet me on Monday next week, which is pretty great. But then I got this other email, where Lenovo tells that the piece they would need is in back-order, because at the moment not fully available for Lenovo... that made me worry a bit. So I tried to login with the data connected with my support ticket to ask more detail and wherever I tried, this hasn't work as expected, indeed, it didn't bring me to any special page and also didn't gave any error.. simply inserting my support ticket info on the forms did not do any effect.. I was always on the same page, with nothing changed.. though I read something about website maintenance, could that be connected? Do you have any link for me where I could just easily login with my support ticket info?

As for the hard-reset for the Supervisor Password; really? I think I had once a quite old Lenovo system and with it it was actually possible to do that, even more than once I think. Additionally, I read online here and there that people have been doing that repeatedly with a bit older Lenovo notebooks and laptops. And also Daniel told me something similar by phone I think. Or with that you just meant the more recent models?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 600
Message 4 of 13

Hi lenovouser7773, It would help the community help you if you stated what model of ThinkPad you are talking about!

profguy
What's DOS?
Views: 593
Message 5 of 13

I have a similar problem.  My employer has a purchase program, whereby employees may purchase computers via the corporate account. Sounds good, until they deliver my new x380 with BitLocker and a BIOS password.  uggghhh

When asked to fix, they say, they do not support personal purchases and to call the manufacturer.  uuugggghhh

This has happened years before when I bought a desktop and was easily able to repartiction the HDD and install software with install Cds for Lenovo.  This time, that apporach does not seem to work. 

Help. How do I 

1 - remove BIOS password

2 - Reset laptop to factory settings

Any advice? 

Thanks

lenovouser7773
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Sure, sorry if I didn't write it until now! But just a question before posting it here: Do you mean the new model with which I cannot reset the Supervisor Password without changing the motherboard? Or the old one I had years before, with which I was able instead to change the Supervisor Password via the hard-reset button?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 580
Message 7 of 13

I hasve used Thinkpads for many years and there was never a way to clear Supervisor password via any sort of button or removing batteries or shorting some contacts.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 562
Message 8 of 13

lenovouser7773, Please post the model number of the machine you are having a problem with. Thanks!

lenovouser7773
Paper Tape
Views: 531
Message 9 of 13

Okay, if that's your experience than probably it was like this in most of cases. But, maybe for a bug, or I don't know why, in an old model of mine that was somehow surely working.

Of course, here: 20LD002MGE

And as for now, I still didn't receive any update about the availability of the components Lenovo would need for my reparation. I hope to receive something within the next week...

Are you aware of any availability shortage with Lenovo? Have you had any similar experience?

Moderator edit: Replaced serial number with model number to prevent mischief.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 523
Message 10 of 13

So it's an X1 Yoga 3rd Gen! Glad you have a repair in hand.

I'm curious: When the BIOS said "Supervisor Password must be set", you're saying you ignored that?

X1Y3BIOSDeviceGuard.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors