Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-18-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 1

Temperature Lenovo X1

2020-07-19, 16:15 PM

Dear all,

since a couple of days I have problems with the temperature of my laptop. The laptop is a Lenovo Yoga X1 Core i7 8th Gen. I noticed that the fan starts as soon as the laptop is connected to the power plug. Since the fan gets quite noisy (and annoying), I started to play a bit with the options and figured that if I restrict the settings to longer battery runtim (and less performance), the laptop cools down and the fan switches off. 

I then installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility since it offers to measure the package temperature. Even with the restrictive performance setting I have a package temperature of 55C - 65C. This is the case even if the computer essentially is in idle (i.e., I do not use it for any computational intensive processes). On the other hand if I use the option "best performance (minimial battery lifetime), then the package temperature goes up to 85C and sometimes to more than 95. It also shows that there is a lot of "Thermal throttling", which I guess is not really normal. In this case the fan runs in full-power.

I somehow have the feeling that this all started when I did a bios update a week ago, but I am not 100% sure. Do you have any ideas what this could be? I still have warranty. Should I send the laptop in for check-up?

Best,

Seb

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms