English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad X Series Laptops Knowledge Base

The 2014 X1 Carbon: How to change functions on the Adaptive Keyboard

Question

I just got the new X1 Carbon in January 2014 and don't know how to use this feature; the keyboard does not light up and I don't know how to change the functions. How do I use the keyboard to change the functions?

Answer

The Adaptive Keyboard on the 2014's edition of the X1 Carbon lights up only when there is user activity.

There are altogether four sets of combinations for different functions, namely Home, Web Browsing, Web Conference, and Function.

The Default mode is Home mode. 

To toggle between these and change it as and when you wish to, tap on the Fn key.

However, the Adaptive Keyboard automatically detects applications being used, so even if you don't physically toggle between the modes by pressing the Fn key as shown in the video, the appropriate set of key combinations will automatically be activated to match the application you are using on your laptop.

The following video explains:

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

geyes On 2014-09-08, 17:10 PM

Is there anyway to freeze/lock  the F1, F2, F3 etc keys

I use the function keys F1, F2, F3 for our ERP software and its a pain when the keys change

Then press a key to unlock?

jonas_hendrickx On 2014-10-10, 10:19 AM

Yes you can disable the dynamic keys and lock F1, F2 etc into place.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click 'Adaptive Keyboard'
  3. Look at the screenshots below, and make sure to match the settings that I marked.
    Capture.PNG
  4. Hit 'Apply'.
  5. Now tap the 'Fn' key a few times to verify it is stuck in 'Function mode'.
IDAMguy On 2014-10-14, 18:06 PM

Is there a way to disable individual adaptive keyboard buttons? Like the WLAN toggle switch.. 

cpoppenger On 2014-10-15, 1:10 AM

Where can I download the adaptive keyboard settings software?  I did a fresh install of Win7, and it's not part of the lenovo software package I downloaded.  Thanks, Carson

Anthomas On 2014-10-25, 8:38 AM

If you guys are like me and wish I had dedicated F1-F12 butons, I wrote a script where you can press WINDOWS+5 forexample to press {F5}

You can download it here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/SOLVED-How-I-resolved-my-X1-2014-frustrations-AKA-quot-Why/td-p/1770141

Jones1337 On 2014-12-06, 11:20 AM

I also wonder what IDAMguy asks: "Is there a way to disable individual adaptive keyboard buttons?"

I keep pressing the Airplane mode / WLAN toggle switch by mistake.

arunderwood On 2014-12-08, 7:46 AM
The adaptive keys seems like the perfect place for multimedia keys such as play/pause/fast forward/rewind but I am suprised to see them missing. Is this something that could be added in a future update?
gkaters On 2014-12-09, 3:39 AM

I also hit the wireless key by accident I want it to do nothing

jam4ever On 2015-02-16, 12:39 PM

Is it possible to accelerate switching? If i hit the FN-"Key" it takes about half a second to one second until the next row is shown.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop