Options

1 Posts

10-29-2020

Saudi Arabia

8 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

The Maximum Size of SSD & RAM For X1 carbon 3 Gen.

2020-10-29, 20:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Looking for your support to get to know what the max. supported upgrade for my laptop since its almost full "SSD 512GB", and wants to upgrade the RAM to on the way :)

My Current Processor: i7-5500U

RAM: 8GB

Thanks in advance.

Sami

Options

8698 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77519 Signins

2209790 Page Views

• Views: 2209790
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:The Maximum Size of SSD & RAM For X1 carbon 3 Gen.

2020-10-29, 20:28 PM

Hi,

This is probably not going to make you happy....

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_3rd_Gen/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_3rd_Gen_Spec.PDF

The X1CG3 has soldered RAM.  No sockets.  No RAM upgrade possible.

The SSD slot is compatible with m.2 SATA or PCIe/AHCI but not PCIe/NVMe.  You may be able to fit a higher capacity SATA drive but finding an AHCI drive in any capacity will be a challenge.

Another thing to watch out for that I can't address just now is whether the m.2 slot will accommodate only single-sided drives or can take a drive with components on both sides.

AFAIK any drive that fits the socket and is either SATA or PCIe/AHCI should work regardless of capacity.  Of course there is always a chance for an individual model incompatibility.

Not good answers, but maybe a heads-up...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms