Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6199 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28800 Signins

1649033 Page Views

• Views: 1649033
  • Message 1 of 41

The New, 1st Generation X1 Nano... Yeah... You Know You Want One! ;-)

2020-11-25, 17:42 PM
(Disclaimer: Lenovo generously provided the hardware. All thoughts, words and pictures are mine.)

It's always a big treat to receive a box from Lenovo, from time to time.

Sometimes I know what will be in the box. Other times, it's a complete surprise. This time, I knew what was coming!
It's the new ThinkPad X1 Nano!

I must say, Lenovo has the best packaging for ThinkPads, especially for X1 ThinkPads! The inner black and red box is sleek and classy, just like its contents. The ThinkPad product family ethos is alive and well!

The accessory pack included a (much smaller) 65W USB-C charger and AC power cord, a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, and a mystery item in the little white box on the far left. More on that in a bit...

Even before opening the box containing the laptop, though, I had an irresistible need to know about the specs of this machine. So I queried the serial number at the Product support page at: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/ and I only saw some warranty info. No worries… just fire it up, and dig in! Looking through msinfo32, Device manager, Disk management, and a number of other configuration screens, here's the punch that this pre-release sample packs!

Technical specifications:

• CPU: Intel EVO Core i7-1160G7U (2.10Ghz, quad-core, 4.40GHz turbo)
  • Graphics: Intel IRIS Xe
  • Display: 13" 2K 2160x1350 (16x10) IPS matte/anti-glare panel, Dolby Vision, 450 nits, 100% sRGB
  • Memory: 16GB LPDDR4x; Dual channel
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64; v2004 as delivered; v20H2 being offered via Windows Update
  • Storage: 1TB Western Digital NVMe SSD (WDC PC SN530; SDBPMZ-1T00-1001)
  • WLAN: Intel WiFi 6 AX201 802.11AX
  • WWAN: Qualcomm SD X55 5G
  • Ethernet: Wired, via USB-C dongle (RJ-45)
  • Audio: Dolby ATMOS 4-speaker system; 360 degree microphones (x4)
  • Camera: Hybrid IR / HD 720p w/ThinkShutter
  • Ports: USB-C 3.2/Thunderbolt 4 w/PD (x2), combo headphone/microphone
  • Power: 48WHr battery, Slim 65W Type-C AC adapter
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Bluetooth 5.1

Here is what several utilities have to say about this specific X1 Nano.

CPU:

Integrated Intel IRIS Xe Graphics:

WDC SSD:

Fit and finish: This 1st generation X1 Nano is impeccable. It's like that feeling when you close the door of a new, high-end luxury car, and everything fits and aligns perfectly. It's (beyond) very subliminally satisfying. And... it's impossible to describe how light this laptop feels in the hand. Pretty incredible, considering everything included in this machine!

On the left side, from front to back: two USB-C 3.2/Thunderbolt 4 ports w/power delivery, and a combo headphone/microphone jack. Quite minimalistic, but more on that, shortly.

On the right side, from front to back: the exhaust vent, and the Power button.

Along the top edge of the top cover there are four 360-degree microphones (difficult to photograph). These provide quite good performance for audio/video conferencing, in my experience. (Sorry for no picture, but it's hard to capture the details)

Finally, the rear of the laptop is where the SIM slot is located. I don’t currently have a data plan or SIM to try out the WWAN, but I will be exploring which local carriers support the installed card so that I can take advantage of the feature.

Audio: There are two speakers near the hinges above the keyboard, and two more on the underside near the front edge of the laptop. The Dolby ATMOS speaker system on this laptop is a quite good considering the size of the speakers, and the compactness of the laptop.

Laptop panel & Graphics: Lenovo's return to offering a 16x10 aspect screen has been a while in coming, but it is SO welcome! Lenovo does, indeed, listen to its customers. I, for one, welcome the additional vertical space. The 2160x1350 resolution, 450 nit IPS matte panel looks gorgeous on my sample machine. No screen illumination variations, at least to my eyes, nor screen-door effect... and I'm very sensitive to those. I'm not a gamer, and that's not really the target for this type of laptop, but if there's interest I'll try to run some benchmarks if I get recommendations for which tools to use. Watching high-resolution Youtube videos and local video files, though, is a great pleasure!

Since there is some discussion about how the 16:10 13” screen height of the X1 Nano compares to 16:9 14” screens, below are some comparisons with several machines I have at hand.

First, comparing the X1 Nano to a Gen3 X1 Carbon (16:9 14”, 2560x1440):

Next, comparing the X1 Nano to my daily-driver Gen4 X1 Yoga (16:9 14”, 3840x 2160):

Notice, on the two comparisons above, that the vertical screen real estate on the X1 Nano is effectively the same as that of the 16:9 14” laptops. Thinner top and bottom bezels coupled with the 16:10 aspect ratio sure helps. As can be seen in these pictures, on 16:9 panels I always move the task bar to the right side of the Desktop just to gain back a bit of screen height.

Finally, just for something a little different, comparing the X1 Nano to a Gen3 X1 Tablet (3:2 13”, 3000x2000):

And now, the mystery “white box”:
I don’t know if this is/will be part of the included accessories, or if it was included for evaluation with my sample laptop, but it’s very cool. It’s a tiny/compact USB-C Port Replicator! Considering the X1 Nano only sports two USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports, some customers may find a need for ease of connection to other devices, especially in a business setting. Connecting to a projector via HDMI immediately comes to my mind.

Bottom line... This is one beautiful laptop!

Will this lovely little beast dethrone my current daily driver? Stay tuned, and we’ll see!

Over the next days and weeks I’ll be putting this laptop through its paces, but that's it for now! Thanks for reading... I'll try to answer any questions I can, so please don't hesitate to post a reply.

When additional product, support, and documentation pages go live, I'll update this article to include them.

Product sales: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/coming-soon/ThinkPad-X1-Nano/p/22TP2X1X1N1

Product support: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-nano-gen-1-type-20un-20uq

Drivers: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-nano-gen-1-type-20un-20uq/downloads/driver-list

Documentation: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-nano-gen-1-type-20un-20uq/documentation/doc_userguide

PSREF: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Nano_Gen_1

(Disclaimer: Lenovo generously provided the hardware. All thoughts, words and pictures are mine.)

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

170 Posts

01-28-2011

Germany

219 Signins

3201 Page Views

• Views: 3201
  • Message 2 of 41

2020-11-25, 18:15 PM
Mate that's wonderful and I have to say I'm a tad bit envious! Thank you for the review. Best Thomas
ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Options

5438 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39754 Signins

759474 Page Views

• Views: 759474
  • Message 3 of 41

2020-11-25, 19:19 PM
Nice! I want one! Thank you for including the display comparison pics. How much does it actually weigh?
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

6199 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28800 Signins

1649033 Page Views

• Message 4 of 41

Re:The New, 1st Generation X1 Nano... Yeah... You Know You Want One! ;-)

2020-11-25, 20:07 PM

@ bananaman wrote:

Nice! I want one! Thank you for including the display comparison pics. How much does it actually weigh?

:-)
This one weighs in at 943g. Interestingly, the product sales page lists 986g for the WWAN/non-touch configuration like this one.

It could just be that my scale is off, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Options

11725 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40025 Signins

420924 Page Views

• Views: 420924
  • Message 5 of 41

2020-11-26, 4:26 AM

Great looking little machine

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

1 Posts

11-26-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 41

2020-11-26, 7:25 AM
Thank you for the review! What about key travel, keyboard/keys size and overall typing experience?
Options

6199 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28800 Signins

1649033 Page Views

• Message 7 of 41

2020-11-26, 14:57 PM

@ alpavl wrote:

Thank you for the review! What about key travel, keyboard/keys size and overall typing experience?

Thanks for your question.

Key travel seems, at least to my non-touch-typing hands, to be equivalent to the other recent model ThinkPads I have. Pretty amazing that the trademark keyboard feel is maintained in such a thin and light package. No apparent keyboard flex, either, but I'm not a heavy-handed typist.

The key spacing appears to be the same as on my daily-driver Gen 4 X1 Yoga. The alphanumeric and function keys appear to be a tad smaller in the vertical dimension, but appear to be the same in the horizontal dimension. The right-side Backspace, Enter, |\ and Shift keys are narrower, though. It hasn't been any problem for me.

(Nano on top, Yoga underneath in the images below)

Right side of keyboard:

Left side of keyboard:

Hope this helps a bit.

Options

9 Posts

02-11-2017

Russian Federation

12 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 8 of 41

2020-11-26, 20:57 PM

they seem to have removed the insert key. it will be missed

Options

6199 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28800 Signins

1649033 Page Views

• Message 9 of 41

2020-11-26, 21:17 PM

@ ometh wrote:

they seem to have removed the insert key. it will be missed

The Insert function key is combined with the End key, if you check out the above pictures.

Hope this helps.

Options

2 Posts

11-27-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 10 of 41

2020-11-27, 17:07 PM

Thank you for sharing, this is really helpful! After you have more time to play with the X1 Nano, would you mind letting us know how many hours of battery life you're getting? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms