Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleanup
Paper Tape
Views: 23,676
Message 1 of 121

There has got to be something wrong with my X230 touchpad

I just received my X230 in the mail and while overall its a fantastic machine, light, capable, wonderful keyboard, sturdy, the trackpad is absolutely atrocious and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be (since many reviewers have been singing its praises).

When UltraNav or generic Synaptic drivers are installed, the accuracy/resolution of the trackpad is absolutely dismal. If I slowly drag my finger across it, the cursor moves in 5-7 px "blocks," resulting in horrificully low resolution, chunky movement. It makes clicking on ANYTHING accurately nigh impossible.

If I uninstall all Synaptic drivers (including UltraNav), the resolution is better (moves more in 1-2 px blocks) however the trackpad is exceedingly sensitive and touching it causes erratic movement (although you can see that it is more finite than before).

What exactly is wrong here? It worked just awful out o fthe box. Am I going crazy or is this the way the X230 actually is and Lenovo messed this thing up?

For reference, I've used Apple laptops for the past 5 years and am very used to having a large, smooth, accurate and fast glass trackpad. This is world's apart. The TrackPoint is accurate but its movement is too slow and laborous for me to enjoy.

Please advise...

dev6
Serial Port
Views: 23,576
Message 2 of 121

Re: There has got to be something wrong with my X230 touchpad

I have the same problem! It jumps all over and makes me miss my t61. I have been changing every setting I can find without success.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 23,571
Message 3 of 121

trackpad on the X220 and X230 isn't the best. Personally i liked the trackpad of the X201 and X201t. Even the trackpad on the X220t and X230t is better.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
cleanup
Paper Tape
Views: 23,555
Message 4 of 121

It's not just not the best. It's the absolute worst I've ever used. I'd rather have a trackpad from a 10-year-old Dell. The thing just doesn't work, at all. 

I mean, it's a laptop, for goodness' sake. The trackpad should be a point of investment and effort...

SMG47
802.11n
Views: 23,521
Message 5 of 121

Making sure the "enhance pointer precision" is checked under pointer properties in mouse properties might help.
dev6
Serial Port
Views: 23,514
Message 6 of 121

I tried pointer precision and EVERY other setting. The touch sensitivity helps the most but it does not git rid of the pointer simply jumping when you try to click on anything.

Please, lenovo, you can't be serious about this. Please release a driver that makes this mousepad useable.

This laptop could be the best ever minus the mousepad. I like the screen. The battery life is great. After I installed an intel SSD the speed is insanely fast. The keyboard is as good as my full size one. And best of all the fan is the quietest of any thinkpad I have owned yet. It is whisper quiet and cool running.  If I could just get the mouse to stop jumping all over I would be so happy.

motomandk
Punch Card
Views: 23,506
Message 7 of 121

I have been using my precious X220 with the new-style track(mouse)pad for over a year now - and i love it.

At work i have a HP6460 with normal trackpad and buttons and it is absolute crap!

Either your trackpad are defective or there is something with wrong drivers.

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!
SMG47
802.11n
Views: 23,450
Message 8 of 121

Also check that the trackpad plug under palmrest is properly seated.
loosescrews
Paper Tape
Views: 23,433
Message 9 of 121

Try downloading the driver from Synaptics.  I found it made the TrackPoint work much better.  It might do the same for the trackpad.

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers/

Ian

dev6
Serial Port
Views: 23,399
Message 10 of 121

I'm using the synaptic drivers and GUI now from as suggested.

I do like the settings GUI interface better but the underlying problem of the pointer  jumping around when I am either pressing down or lifting up is still there. It did however seem to make the two finger scroll much more useable in web browsers which is nice.

A lenovo support person suggested to start in safe mode and see if it persists, and it is. Even after installing the drivers you can get the undesired behavior to repeat.

I wonder if it has to do with the little bumps, this is the first version of a mouse pad I have owned with those things.

This is such a step backwards. I'm perplexed how they didn't notice this 'jumpiness' before choosing this hardware/pad device. It's as if older mousepads disregard the size of your finger 'footprint' because it gets bigger the harder you press down, but in this new device pressing down, thus changing the surface area touching the mousepad, causes the pointer to move, even though there was no movement by your finger, just the action of pressing down. Its the same thing for removing your finger from the mousepad, the pad is tracking movement where is none.

I think this is a design flaw and not a faulty unit because others are having the same problem and even one reviewer listed the mouse pad as the biggest Con.

These reviews either criticize the mouse or mention two finger scrolling problems

http://www.notebookreview.com/printArticle.asp?newsID=6477 (Mouse Pad Frequently Frustrates)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/1/3055686/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review

Everybody says the two finger scroll doesn't work (the synaptic drivers are better than the ones from lenovo for scrolling IMO)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/1/3055686/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review

http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review/ (mouse pad could be better)

Top Kudoed Authors