MT

32 Signins

365 Page Views

• Views: 365
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad Power Bridge

2016-01-21, 11:23 AM

Hi,

I read this blog post regarding Power Bridge.  I have the X250 with an internal 3-cell battery and an external 6-cell battery.  Windows 10 recognises both batteries.  The Lenovo Settings application recognises both batteries as well and indicates that both are in good condition.  When I take out the external battery, the laptop switches off.  The internal battery definitely works, because I tried the laptop on the internal battery only. 

The thing is that one of the battery latches (not the one where you have to keep holding it to release the battery but the other one) broke, so the battery is not secured correctly.  It still works and mostly stays in but sometimes some movement might disloge the battery just slightly from the connector which results in the laptop switching off.  So if power bridge worked, this would't be a problem I think.

Updated the bios to version 1.17 from 1.15.

Thanks

The X250 Specs:

Core i7-5600U

1920x1080 display

8GB RAM

256GB SSD

Solved! See the solution
Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

US

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Power Bridge

2016-03-17, 14:36 PM

Lenovo has made a solution available for customers reporting broken battery latches on W550s, T550, T450s, T450, T440, T440s, X250, X240 and L450 ThinkPads.

Please contact Lenovo Service for support and reference Service TIP SF15-T0073/ HT104300. The solution will require the laptop to be serviced.

Thank you,

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

01-21-2016

MT

32 Signins

365 Page Views

• Views: 365
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-04-12, 12:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Just saw the post.  What about the Lenovo Power Bridge?  Why isn't this working?  In the meantime, the motherboard had to be replaced because it was not switching on.  The Power Bridge still does not work though.

Thanks.

Options

4 Posts

01-26-2017

US

4 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-05-11, 2:52 AM

I had this issue as well. It appears to be a design flaw of PowerBridge. The upshot is that you need to have battery clip #1 held in the open position as you disengage the battery contacts. An explanation is offered in this forum post:

Background: Clip #1 has an electrical switch that is triggered when inserting or removing a battery, in addition to physically latching it.  This electrical switch must be triggered to prepare the BIOS/power-manager/motherboard/whatever for an insert or remove. If the system isn't prepared for an insert or remove, the whole computer immediatly turns comletely off.

The Lenovo design fault is 2-part:

First, the clip #1 trigger has to be held in the triggered possition during the moment the electical terminals make or break contact. This is instead of a better design, such as a 10-second tap'n'go timer.

Second, the physical latching part of clip #1 interacting with the battery's latch-holding-recess should be designed such that, at the physical moment contact is broken or made, clip #1 is mechanically pushed all the way to the triggered (release) side. A design like this would overcome the first fault mentioned above. However, clealy Lenovo never actually tested this, because it doesn't quite hold clip #1 far enough out to hit the trigger sensor.

What happens is, when you or I insert or remove the battery, clip #1 is only partially slid to the release side, so the system isn't prepared for a insert/remove, and it crashes. To overcome, physically hold clip #1 all the way to the release side during any insert or remove battery-sliding action. This can be a little difficult with only two hands, since it often takes two hands alone to remove the battery.

Think of it as a door handle. Sure, you could let the door swing closed, and it will latch itself closed. But with a Lenovo door, you need to close the door very quietly, so you hold the handle turned until the door is fully closed, and only then you return the handle. Great for sneaking out of boring seminars.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete