11-15-2018

US

12 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 audio cutoff with screen lock X1 Extreme

2019-06-26, 4:08 AM

I have an X1 Extreme plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AN0230US).  Whenever the screen locks it cuts off audio.  I like this. Prevents sound coming from a computer that is locked.  However, when I unlock the computer, the only way to get the sound back it to restart the whole system.  This I don't like.

I have 2 monitors (ThinkVision P27H's) plugged  in using Display Port and the audio is playing from one of the monitors.  The monitors are listed in the audio panel, but neither will provide any sound on unlock.  If I change the volume it lags terribly and eventually freezes.  I can switch to internal audio.

I have:
1) Reinstalled audio and display drivers on the computer.
2) Reinstalled thunderbolt drivers on the computer
3) Updated the dock's firmware

But the problem persists.  Any ideas of what to try next besides getting a replacement?  Every item - even the cables - in the chain are supplied by Lenovo.  Should work flawlessly in my estimation.

Options

1817 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 audio cutoff with screen lock X1 Extreme

2019-07-15, 22:06 PM

Hi! Base on this manual: https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/acc100356 from the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock, X1 Extreme is not listed as a compatible device.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

11-15-2018

US

12 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2019-07-16, 15:04 PM

If you go by the part number I provided (sorry for the wrong name - they are all named basically the same), you'll get to the this, which does list it as supported device:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/PD500252

Options

1817 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-07-16, 17:01 PM

Sorry for the confusion. If you're running Windows 10 1903 version, there is a known issue for audio however it was fixed through an update. Please check if there are pending Windows updates on your computer.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

220 Posts

08-14-2012

US

1156 Signins

7063 Page Views

• Views: 7063
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-07-16, 17:38 PM

@Jwes_Lenovo:

thanks for your knowledgeable comments.

i am waiting for my X1C7 and for whatever reason, the link to the product info page for the Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock does NOT include X1C7 (7th Gen) at all on their list of compatible computers!  how can that be?  i'm certain that one may use BOTH this Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock as well as the Ultra dock with the mechanical connection.   i personally would prefer this Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock as there are fewer parts to go wrong (i.e. with the mechanical Ultra dock), and one would only need to plug in one single USB-C styled Thunderbolt cable to the laptop every morning upon arrival at one's office and to me, one single USB-C type of connection is a great deal simpler than the mechanical Ultra dock (more items to go wrong!).

hope you might be so kind as to explain why the X1C7 isn't included in the compatible list of computers please?  Thank you.

(btw, the X1C6 isn't on the compatible computer list either!)

Options

6 Posts

11-15-2018

US

12 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-07-19, 19:00 PM

@Jwes_Lenovo, I checked my updates and I was still on 1803, so I updated to 1903 and then made sure that all incremental updates were also done, which they are.  Alas, I'm still having the same audio problem.

There are really 2 issues, the audio, and a warning whenever I plug in the dock that says:

Display connection might be limited

Make sure the DisplayPort device you're

connecting to is supported by your PC. Select

this message for more troubleshooting info.

I believe that the audio issue might be a result of whatever is causing the warning.  The computer is Lenovo, the dock is Lenovo (and marked as compatable), and the monitors are Lenovo.  Not sure why I'm getting these warnings or problems.  I'm starting to think that I should get a replacement dock.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete