Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

29 Posts

03-30-2018

Netherlands

87 Signins

372 Page Views

• Views: 372
  • Message 181 of 322

Re: ThinkPad X series shipping thread - 2018 edition

2018-06-06, 10:17 AM
Still available in Europe/Australia. Maybe it's an issue with the FTC?
Options

30 Posts

11-11-2011

United States of America

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Views: 298
  • Message 182 of 322

2018-06-06, 12:51 PM

I thought about installing it myself but in the past I've ran into issues with not getting the exact wlan card for a specific mobo and having compatibility issues and plus I've never messed with LTE cards so I wouldn't know what to do as far as the Sim tray goes or if the antenna are the same as wlan or what. I'd much rather just leave it to them just in case.

But that's interesting about the LTE still being available in Europe. It's weird to be that it JUST became available in the US when it's been available in at least Russia and I assume Europe and Asia for quite some time now but now they take it down from the US again. Anything's possible I guess.

I did get the "speed bump" email from Lenovo this morning saying that it'll be available in 30 days or less but the time in OVP hasn't changed yet.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2087
  • Message 183 of 322

2018-06-06, 13:30 PM

wrote:

I thought about installing it myself but in the past I've ran into issues with not getting the exact wlan card for a specific mobo and having compatibility issues and plus I've never messed with LTE cards so I wouldn't know what to do as far as the Sim tray goes or if the antenna are the same as wlan or what. I'd much rather just leave it to them just in case.

But that's interesting about the LTE still being available in Europe. It's weird to be that it JUST became available in the US when it's been available in at least Russia and I assume Europe and Asia for quite some time now but now they take it down from the US again. Anything's possible I guess.

I did get the "speed bump" email from Lenovo this morning saying that it'll be available in 30 days or less but the time in OVP hasn't changed yet.

it is strange because the Fibocom Cat. 9 LTE-A card that came with mine supports a very wide range of LTE frequency bands. I'm quite sure some of those work with US networks. Btw if you want to install it yourself it isn't that hard. When you customise the laptop it tells you exactly which brand/model comes as an option. Just head to Amazon or eBay to purchase the exact same model. There is no need to connect the SIM card slot to the module as it is recognised as a 'card reader'. The SIM tray is behind the laptop where the microSD card slot is. From my experience the WWAN antenna leads will be left where the M.2 slot is, unless they don't install the antenna just because you didn't select the LTE option; which I find highly unlikely as it'll cost them more to have different chassis for different customers rather than just a standard one. For the same reason all new aircraft come equiped with the external antenna for satellite or ground based data transfer but it's up to the airlines whether or not to provide WiFi connection to their passengers.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

30 Posts

11-11-2011

United States of America

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 184 of 322

2018-06-06, 13:38 PM

wrote:

wrote:

it is strange because the Fibocom Cat. 9 LTE-A card that came with mine supports a very wide range of LTE frequency bands. I'm quite sure some of those work with US networks. Btw if you want to install it yourself it isn't that hard. When you customise the laptop it tells you exactly which brand/model comes as an option. Just head to Amazon or eBay to purchase the exact same model. There is no need to connect the SIM card slot to the module as it is recognised as a 'card reader'. The SIM tray is behind the laptop where the microSD card slot is. From my experience the WWAN antenna leads will be left where the M.2 slot is, unless they don't install the antenna just because you didn't select the LTE option; which I find highly unlikely as it'll cost them more to have different chassis for different customers rather than just a standard one. For the same reason all new aircraft come equiped with the external antenna for satellite or ground based data transfer but it's up to the airlines whether or not to provide WiFi connection to their passengers.

You would think it would include the antenna but it doesn't. I looked into that as well. I watched a couple tear down videos and it was just empty pci-e slot and no leads to the monitor like you'd expect.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 185 of 322

2018-06-06, 13:43 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

You would think it would include the antenna but it doesn't. I looked into that as well. I watched a couple tear down videos and it was just empty pci-e slot and no leads to the monitor like you'd expect.

Ahhh ok. That is ridiculous. Thanks, that's good to know.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

5665 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40117 Signins

772014 Page Views

• Views: 772014
  • Message 186 of 322

2018-06-06, 14:40 PM

In 2018 there are only two ThinkPad models with "Wireless WAN upgradable" versions (pre-installed antennas) - the T480s and the P52s. The rest either have a WWAN/LTE card and antennas, or not.

My advice if you want WWAN/LTE is to order it at the outset, as adding the antennas is not easy. Sometimes finding the right WWAN/LTE card is also a challenge.

Following my own advice, I've been waiting since January to order an X1 Carbon 6th with HDR and WWAN/LTE. The option finally appeared in the US Lenovo store a few days ago. Last night I went to order, and as tresnugget observed, the WWAN/LTE option is now gone :-s.

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

77 Posts

03-17-2018

United States of America

105 Signins

945 Page Views

• Views: 945
  • Message 187 of 322

2018-06-06, 19:57 PM

re: fibocom/wwan if it's the same model used for the X280 then indeed the delays you folks are seeing does seem weird. It was available for me on May 17th and again on May 30th, a US models delivered to US address.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 188 of 322

2018-06-06, 20:54 PM

wrote:

In 2018 there are only two ThinkPad models with "Wireless WAN upgradable" versions (pre-installed antennas) - the T480s and the P52s. The rest either have a WWAN/LTE card and antennas, or not.

My advice if you want WWAN/LTE is to order it at the outset, as adding the antennas is not easy. Sometimes finding the right WWAN/LTE card is also a challenge.

Following my own advice, I've been waiting since January to order an X1 Carbon 6th with HDR and WWAN/LTE. The option finally appeared in the US Lenovo store a few days ago. Last night I went to order, and as tresnugget observed, the WWAN/LTE option is now gone :-s.

Ohh OK I wasn't aware of that because Dell has the antenna built in even without the module.

By the way, the DV screen is only an 8 bit panel and only goes up to Rec.709. Windows doesn't recognise it as a HDR display. PowerDVD doesn't. When I play HDR video files with MPC-HC though, they look much better than they would on a SDR screen (colours aren't washed out) so I'm not sure what's going on. This is really a DV screen but there isn't any software that supports DV content on PCs at the moment so no one has been able to test this out. It seems the laptop is ahead of its time.

Options

30 Posts

11-11-2011

United States of America

29 Signins

298 Page Views

• Message 189 of 322

2018-06-06, 21:23 PM

I hoping it's a driver thing

wrote:

wrote:

Ohh OK I wasn't aware of that because Dell has the antenna built in even without the module.

By the way, the DV screen is only an 8 bit panel and only goes up to Rec.709. Windows doesn't recognise it as a HDR display. PowerDVD doesn't. When I play HDR video files with MPC-HC though, they look much better than they would on a SDR screen (colours aren't washed out) so I'm not sure what's going on. This is really a DV screen but there isn't any software that supports DV content on PCs at the moment so no one has been able to test this out. It seems the laptop is ahead of its time.

I'm hoping it's a driver thing however I doubt it. I think if it's Dolby Vision it just means they paid the license fee and it hits a certain percentage of colors but doesn't necessarily mean 10 bit or bt2020 as the iPhone x display is 8 bit too and still Dolby Vision

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 190 of 322

2018-06-06, 21:42 PM

wrote:

I hoping it's a driver thing

wrote:

wrote:

I'm hoping it's a driver thing however I doubt it. I think if it's Dolby Vision it just means they paid the license fee and it hits a certain percentage of colors but doesn't necessarily mean 10 bit or bt2020 as the iPhone x display is 8 bit too and still Dolby Vision

Yes but on my iPhone X I can play Vimeo, YouTube and iTunes movies in either HDR or Dolby Vision. On YouTube and iTunes, it is very obvious when HDR/DV mode is enabled. By contrast on the Lenovo we can't tell (yet) as there isn't a piece of Windows software / website that supports DV. In other words, how can we verify that Lenovo installed the correct screen into the unit and we aren't being scammed with just a normal screen?

Having said that, the Lenovo rep told us that there is a piece of software coming soon that's specifically made for DV. I'm not sure if a driver would be included in this.

There is a .INF file that was released a few weeks ago that 'Adds Dolby Vision Support' but it's just a colour profile that allows one to enable HDR video playback on Edge browser when visiting YouTube. Windows itself and other software like PowerDVD 17 says the system doesn't have a HDR monitor installed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms