Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 8,163
Message 1 of 310

ThinkPad X series shipping thread - 2018 edition

Allow me to continue the annual tradition of basically copying last year's shipping thread! Smiley Happy

Copied from 2017 shipping thread,  here are some common points of frequent discussion:

• How to get a system fast: Buy an in-stock standard configuration from Lenovo or a Lenovo Partner in your area. Customized systems take longer.
  • Avoid Credit Holds - ensure that BOTH your bill to and ship to addresses are listed with your CC bank before ordering
  • Lenovo will not bill your card until order ships - an authorization charge hold to check for available balance may show up when order is first placed.
  • Estimated ship dates are based on default lead time and can vary from what was displayed on website.
  • In the US and Canada, Lenovo utilizes UPS for new product shipments
  • Orders may ship before the Estimated Ship Date
  • Orders may enter through Alaska and pass through Louisville, KY before traveling on to final address
  • Cancellation requests may take up to 2 days to process
  • Requests to change configuration or other aspects of the order may require the order to be rebooked.
  • Lenovo does not accept payment via international credit cards, except AMEX.

---

Here's my shipping story so far:

Ordered an X1 Yoga 2018/8th Gen (20LD0017US, top spec) in the US on March 8, along with a TB3 dock and an extra power adapter. The order page stated 'ships in 7 business days' or something close to that. I was actually worried that I would be out of town for delivery because I was traveling that week. Little did I know!

Checking the order page a few days later, the estimated shipping date changed to March 26, estimated arrival April 2. Meanwhile the power supply arrived four days after ordering, and the TB3 dock is at customs, eta March 22 (two weeks after placing the order). I guess two out of three ain't bad! 

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 8,090
Message 2 of 310

Re: ThinkPad X series shipping thread - 2018 edition

Ordered ThinkPad X1 HDR screen 20KH002HUS on March 6 with expedited shipping. The estimated shipping date was March 19 and delivery date 22. But it just got push backed to March 21 and now the new delivery date is March 28. Can’t believe their expedited shipping takes 7 days. Not happy at all!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 8,070
Message 3 of 310

The email Lenovo sends out for shipping delays is cute, but it would be nice if a reason for the delay was given. I hope it's a case of under promise, over deliver, because I need this machine!

bump.jpg

Metabo
What's DOS?
Views: 8,053
Message 4 of 310

I ordered a X1 Carbon on March 11th, estimated to ship in 7 working days. Just got an email telling me that now the estimated time of arrival is May 8th. From 7 days to almost 2 months, wicked. I'm glad I passed a -10% discount on a Dell XPS for this. I absolutely need a laptop in April so I'm delighted by Lenovo's precision. Will definitely puchase Lenovo again and long live the ruling party!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 8,044
Message 5 of 310

@Metabowrote:

I ordered a X1 Carbon on March 11th, estimated to ship in 7 working days. Just got an email telling me that now the estimated time of arrival is May 8th.   ...    I absolutely need a laptop in April 

If you need the laptop urgently, you might be better off canceling the order, which I think you can do for free. Too bad about the missed discount opportunity. Smiley Sad 

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 8,037
Message 6 of 310

I think Lenovo needs to rework their ETA algorithms, so that customers don't see their ETA changed to a later date after the order was placed. 

I have ordered laptops from other retailers (Microsoft, Dell, Apple). The actual shipping date ALWAYS turn out to be sooner than the ETA given. When you create an expectation but can't uphold it, people is going to get disappointed. 

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 8,020
Message 7 of 310

As of right now. Most of x1 are makred as same day shipping, except build to order models. I wonder how much truth in this?

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 7,952
Message 8 of 310

UPDATE: ordered Thinkpad x1 carbon HDR (20KH002HUS) on March 6th and it was shipped on March 21 from China via UPS Worldwide Express.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 7,897
Message 9 of 310

As promised the TB3 dock arrived on March 22 (two weeks after the order), but unfortunately the shipment date of the X1Y3 has been pushed back by another four days, ETA now April 6, a full four weeks after the date of order. And here I was thinking "Maybe they'll ship early!" Smiley Frustrated

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 7,787
Message 10 of 310

Some movement: after ordering on March 8, my credit card finally got charged yesterday, March 25. Checking the order status page today there's still no indication that the X1 has shipped though. Smiley Sad

What's a typical delay between Lenovo charging for the device and actually shipping it? FWIW, it's still listed as "Expected to ship" on March 31, which is five days away. So then why the early charge? 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors