Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taramis
Punch Card
Views: 749
Message 71 of 154

Re: ThinkPad X series shipping thread - 2019 edition

@lex_rex wrote:

Update: Just send an email in to my lenovo rep asked to remove the 4K screen and go with the 380nit FHD screen.

On the thinkpad sub-reddit I am seeing two users reporting delivery of X1 Carbon 7th gen today w/ 4K screen and they are reporting very bad things about the battery life.

I don't think any one can safely test battery life based on the first day of usage. New systems always consumes more power with downloading updates, files from cloud, emails, indexing, virus scanning them, etc.

I suppose if you want your computer quicker than yeah, FHD it is, since by the looks of it this 4k display causing the most delays.

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 747
Message 72 of 154

@lex_rex:   may i please ask what "reporting very bad things about battery life (of the UHD screen)" means please?

8 hours?  10 hours?  or...?

thank you in advance.

adamdicarlo
Paper Tape
Views: 730
Message 73 of 154

Edward_USA
Punch Card
Views: 719
Message 74 of 154

I guess we will have to figure out how much battery life we need. I'm used to like less than 2 hours on my current laptop so 4 hours would be really nice.  I think most of the time I can get away with 4 hours of battery life. Hopefully we are not looking at 3 hours of battery life. 

I'm surprised that so many people want the 4K UHD screen. I was always a fan of glossy monitors but everyone hates them. There is really also no need for a 4K screen on a 14" size monitor, you will really not see much benefit.

The big reason I decided on the UHD screen was because of watching movies and you tube videos on my long commute, I figured the glossy screen and HDR will look really nice, kind of like watching them on my OLED cell phone.

lex_rex
Paper Tape
Views: 703
Message 75 of 154

Agreed Edward, 4K screen is probably not necessary for a 14". I thought it would be nice to have though, easier on the eyes when reading text and brighter.

WQHD is a nice option, but at 280 nits vs. 380 nits on the FHD, I think FHD is the way to go for maximum battery life and decent brightness level.

My X220 easily provides me with 6-7hrs of battery. I cannot afford to go backwards with battery life. A notebook like the X1Y4 should have at least 10hrs of good usage time minimum, in my opinion.
adamdicarlo
Paper Tape
Views: 689
Message 76 of 154

Yeah, 4K is overkill on 14", but 1920x1080 looks kind of bad by modern standards.

I ordered the 4K because the WQHD option is only 300 nits (...or 280?) for some reason.

I've been used to the 500 nit screen on my work MacBook Pro for years, and I can't imagine going back to darker screens.

Why no HDR (500 nits) WQHD option like on the 6th Generation? I'd rather have that and a bit more battery life than the 4K option. Smiley Sad

Edward_USA
Punch Card
Views: 644
Message 77 of 154

Everything I can find about 4K compared to FHD on youtube, everyone says to get the FHD. It makes sense because 4K isn't worth it on a 14" screen. The loss of battery life seems to come from the video card having to render the 4K or move the pixels around. It is possible you can run the desktop in 1080p to save on battery life.

The reason I ordered the 4K was because of the HDR, higher brightness, and glossy screen. I'm thinking it may not be worth it though. 

I'm still looking for any review where someone says the 4K was better than the FHD matte in any notebook. 

What surprised me is everyone on the carbon x1 7th gen thread is jumping for the UHD screen without taking any of these issues into account. Normally any time I read about a monitor coming out that is glossy, every other post is about how much they had glossy screens. The other thing I always read is how 4K is just not worth it unless your monitor is 40"+ in size.

So I'm very confused why I hear no bashing about the UHD screen and everyone is jumping for it.

taramis
Punch Card
Views: 624
Message 78 of 154

There is a short review from unboxing therapy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=986uL9C-dEA

Doesnt talk a lot about displays, but hes saying its brighter of course.

I'm buying the 4k too, mainly because why the hell not and also I'm using a 2018 Macbook Pro too and after this FHD is just looking crap.

Edward_USA
Punch Card
Views: 611
Message 79 of 154

Yes I'm probably going to stick with the UHD also. The main reason is I can probably get away with the 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life. I don't think there are many times I need more battery life than that.

At work I can plug it in.

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 536
Message 80 of 154

maybe i'm wrong, but any battery use measurements need to be discussed INCLUDING how the X1C7 was being used, i.e. gaming, or watching a video for 2 hours straight, or reading documents, or spreadsheets,...etc.

without a discussion of HOW the laptop was being used when one came up with the, say, 5 hours or 7 hours or whatever number of hours before the battery went to zero, it is difficult for anyone to really gauge what's going on and to have a sense of what practical real life battery life would be for that particular user's usage scenarios.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors