Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 14,367
Message 1 of 62

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 20A7 and WWAN (GOBI 5000) note detected

We received 2 brand new X1 Carbon (type 20A7) models and neither have been able to detect the Gobi 5000 WWAN card (Sierra Wireless EM7355, Lenovo Part# 0C52902.)

The X1 Carbon's are running the latest drivers (including BIOS update), Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1- it doesn't matter: They will not detect the WWAN card in the WWAN slot. Tried 2 different WWAN cards straight out of the box from Lenovo (these happen to be the Verizon variants, I don't have any AT&T ones handy) and it's like it doesn't even exist.

Yet I can remove either Gobi 5000 card and install it into a T440s and it comes up without any issue. I've tried taking a working and activated Gobi 5000 card out of a T440s and putting it into the X1 Carbon, yet the X1 Carbon refuses to recognize the device exists in Device Manager.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Lenovo tech support who ultimately told me my question was "Out of scope" and something they would not handle. The tech even agreed with my frustration that it's listed right on the **bleep** Lenovo product site: "Mobil [sic] Broadband: Sierra Wireless 7355 - Gobi 5000" and couldn't explain why 

A) It wasn't working 

or

B) Why Lenovo feels a feature listed on their own marketing materials was "out of scope" for support.

She also confirmed the part number is exactly the same and the T440s and the X1 Carbon use the identical part. The tech ultimately speculated that some type of magical "system board upgrade" would need to be performed by a local shop. I called a local shop and while the guy was nice enough, he laughed outright at the "system board upgrade" idea, and only said, "You have to bring it in so I can look at it." No thoughts on some super-secret BIOS updates, or unlocking some sort of hidden feature to enable the WWAN slot. (Yes, I did make sure it was enabled under the POWER section of the BIOS...)

Has ANYBODY else had success with the Gobi 5000 WWAN card and the new X1 Carbon??

Oh, and one other complication I experienced: when I went to Verizon to get the WWAN card activated, they said the IMEI# of the WWAN card was coded in the Verizon system as only being compatible with a mini SIM card. The VZW rep was unable to provide me with a micro SIM card (which the X1 Carbon requires). I may have just had an idiot VZW rep, but no matter how many times he tried to activate a micro SIM (or even a nano SIM), it failed. He could only activate a mini SIM card, so I manually cut the mini down to micro. Assuming I can ever get the laptop to recognize the Gobi 5000 card in the first place, I may eventually have an X1 Carbon with WWAN... What a total waste of time!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,316
Message 2 of 62

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 20A7 and WWAN (GOBI 5000) note detected

kmehling,

firstly, check out, is wwan port enabled within the BIOS setup? Item is named like this one - WirelessWANAccess.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Highlighted
kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 14,310
Message 3 of 62

Yeah, from what I can tell, the only area where this is an option is under:

BIOS > Security > I/O Port Access > Wireless WAN [Enabled]

I believe this option is [DISABLED] from the factory. I've turned it ENABLED and DISABLED several times with and without the Gobi 5000 card plugged in with no change in the detection state from Windows (7 or 8 or 8.1).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,301
Message 4 of 62

This BIOS Setup option is OS independent.

If WAN Access item is enabled you have to see several strings within the Device Manager regarding your wwan card and depending of OS, with or w/o exclamation or question symbol.

Be sure wireless devices features are enabled using adaptive keyboard. To enable or disable the wireless features the following device drivers must be installed on your computer:
- Power Management Driver
- On Screen Display Utility
- Wireless device drivers

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 14,296
Message 5 of 62

Thanks x220forMe, I hear what you're saying, but that's the thing: there is *nothing* in Device Manager. It's as if the X1 Carbon doesn't "see" the WWAN card whatsoever.

To put it another way, I can physically add or remove the Gobi 5000 WWAN card from the X1 Carbon and there is absolutely *no* recognition I have done so in either the BIOS or the OS.

On the other hand, if I take the exact same Gobi 5000 WWAN card and physically install it into a T440s, I see it recognized in the OS. I get an exclamation if I don't have the drivers installed (obviously) and if I install the Sierra Wireless drivers, I can connect to Verizon Wireless no problem.

So unless there is some sort of magical hidden switch or setting, it's almost like back in the old days of Lenovo/IBM when they would "whitelist" certain hardware so (god forbid) you tried to add a non-whitelisted WWAN card. Though back in the day, you wouldn't even be able to boot past the error message. I don't know what to think here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,290
Message 6 of 62

I understand your concern but this issue isn't whitelist related as the Gobi 5000 is presented within that for X1C. In the other case laptop couldn't be loaded with 1802 error.

In order to be clear, for both laptops and both wwan cards:
1. BIOS Setup option for wwan card is enabled
2. wwan card isn't visible within the Device Manager
2a. in ANY thread
2b. under Windows 7/8.1
3. wwan card is visible in other laptop

Right?

Nevertheless, please, open cmd window and type in the following string:
netsh mbn sh int

Post the result here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,288
Message 7 of 62

Hi all,

I don't know the machine or the card - so please forgive some dumb questions:

Are there two mini-PCIe slots in the X1?  (are they PCIe...) Is there a WLAN card already in one of them?  Any chance the cards/slots are swapped?

Like I said, dumb questions.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,283
Message 8 of 62

zoltanthegypsy,

it's X1C 2nd Gen, m.2 only, 2 wireless slots, gobi 5000 (Sierra em7355, p/n 0C52902, for Verizon). The only difficulty might be the card activation under Windows 8 as there is a bug Lenovo and Verizon know about. But this issue is different.

UPD

also, as the card with this p/n isn't on sale as an accessory it's preinstalled definitely.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,280
Message 9 of 62

Thanks x220forMe.  I wasn't sure from the maintenance manual - although the center-located screw holes should have been a tip-off.

I appreciate the clarification - and now I'll go mind my own business.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 14,260
Message 10 of 62

Believe me, I don't mind the questions, even the "are you sure you're not an idiot?" ones as I have no problem admitting I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and have made plenty of dumb mistakes, but this one just has me baffled.

x220ForMe - Here are my answers to your questions:

####################

In order to be clear, for both laptops and both wwan cards:
1. BIOS Setup option for wwan card is enabled

####################

Yes, again, as far as I can tell on the X1 Carbon, the *only* place I see *anything* referring to WWAN is under Security > I/O Port Access > Wireless WAN. It is currently set to [ENABLED] - I ran through every other field in every section of the BIOS and I do not see anything else referencing WWAN. I'm showing UEFI BIOS Version GRET35WW (1.12) / 2014-03-18

################################

2. wwan card isn't visible within the Device Manager
2a. in ANY thread

Correct - On the X1 Carbon, if I expand Device Manager (yes, even when "Show Hidden Devices" is enabled) and scan through every item from top to bottom, there is nothing even close to resembling Sierra Wireless. There are no Unknown Devices, all drivers have been updated via Lenovo System Update utility.

On the T440s, using the same Gobi 5000 card that I just removed from the X1 Carbon (the Sierra Wireless drivers are installed on the T440s and the X1 Carbon), I see: "Sierra Wireless EM7355 Qualcomm Gobi(TM) 4G LTE / HSPA+ / EVDO" under Network adapters, as one would expect. 

2b. under Windows 7/8.1

Correct - One of my two X1 Carbon's has the default Win 7 Pro Lenovo Factory install and the other one I have Win 8.1 Enterprise installed. On the Windows 8.1 Enterprise X1 Carbon, *with* (and only with) the Sierra Wireless drivers installed, I *do* see "Sierra Wireless Location Sensor" under "Sensors" but, to my knowledge, this is purely a virtual device as a reflection of the Sierra Wireless driver. My evidence of this is that if I uninstall the Sierra Wireless driver, this "Location Sensor Device" goes away.

3. wwan card is visible in other laptop

Yep - Same Gobi 5000 card removed from the X1 Carbon and inserted into the T440s, comes right up and I can get online via Verizon no problem.

Nevertheless, please, open cmd window and type in the following string:
netsh mbn sh int

Results of netsh bmn sh int:

X1 Carbon:

There is no Mobile Broadband Interface

T440s:

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name: Mobile broadband

Description: Sierra Wireless EM7355 Qualcomm Gobi(TM) 4G LTE / HSPA+ /EVDO

GUID: {9ECA0E16-358D-4F0F-90A5-424F8D8B8B76}

Physical Address: <my MAC address>

State: Connected

Device Type: Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system

Cellular class: GSM

Device ID: <my device IMEI number>

Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated

Model: Sierra Wireless EM7355 Qualcomm

Firmware Version: SWI9X15C_01.08.16.05

Provider Name: Verizon Wireless

Roaming: Not roaming

Signal: 6%

RSSI / RSCP: 2 (-109 dBm)

One tidbit that I mentioned to the Lenovo support rep on the phone (who dismissed it as not being related) is that BOTH Gobi 5000 cards that I have in my possesion have manufacture dates from November 2013 on them. Now I know the X1 Carbon hadn't hit the market as of 11/2013, so was there some sort of change or update in firmware or internal Lenovo stock that took place *after* the new X1 Carbon started shipping in Jan/Feb 2014?

In other words, if you order the Lenovo part# 0C52902 today, are you actually getting a slightly different/newer WWAN card than the one I have in my possesion, even though the part numbers are identical? (The rep swore this could not be the case).

My suspicion here goes back to my situation with Verizon not being able to provide a working micro SIM card based on the IMEI I gave them. Did Lenovo/Sierra Wireless make a "new batch" of part# 0C52902 with a slew of new IMEI's that allow Verizon to issue both micro AND mini SIM cards (to support the T440s and the X1 Carbon?) Perhaps this new batch is coded differently and thus works in the new X1 Carbon's while the old batch don't?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors