Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,006
Message 21 of 62

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 20A7 and WWAN (GOBI 5000) note detected

About volt-meter measurement.

There are 4 pins we need:

#6 - controls the power for the card. High level (4.2v) means the host supplies the card, in opposite of low level (1.5v)
#66 - low level (0.63v) disables wwan radio. In opposite of NO signal state.
#68 - low level (0.63v) disables GPS radio receiver. In opposite of NO signal state.
#46 - hw ready, high level (1.85v) means the card is ready for work, in opposite of low level (1.75v). It's a signal from the card.

I'm sure when your laptop is powered on the pin signal #6 is high, #68 isn't disabled (no signal), #66 is disabled (low level), #46 is high.

Bad news, Smiley Happy look at the picture. It's a pins layot. Pins are too small... There are several test points on the card backside at the connector side. But it's for test stand, inaccessible for volt-meter probe.

I'm sure you can

I couldn't find the doc in internet fast so there is a picture. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear. 

m.2_pin_layot.JPG

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 2,004
Message 22 of 62

That was a great idea and I am happy to announce SUCCESS!!!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

But I haven't a CLUE why it seems to be working now hahaha- Let me explain:

1. I loved your idea to try testing the WLAN card (which has always worked) in the WWAN slot. The only problem (see pix attached) is that they apparently *aren't* both m.2 sized (!)

Link to picture

You can see how the WLAN card has the extra notch on it, and when overlayed (picture on the right) with the WWAN card, while they *look* like they could almost be interchangeable, they're not.

2. Since I had the WLAN card out for the first time, I thought I would boot the laptop without it just to see what happened. As expected, no WLAN in Device Manager (duh) and no WLAN card in the BIOS (duh x2).

3. I then inserted *just* the WWAN card by itself (WLAN is physically removed from the system now). Still no change - No Sierra Wireless in the Lenovo Diagnostics, no change in Device Manager. The laptop STILL acted like the WWAN card was not inserted into the slot.

4. I plugged the WLAN card back into its original slot, put everything back together and now comes my utter shock: THE SIERRA WIRELESS CARD IS NOW DETECTED IN DEVICE MANAGER!!!!!!!!!!  I rebooted and went into Lenovo Diagnostics and sure enough, it's now appearing 4x under "Motherboard Bus" just like the T440s!!!!!!!!

At this point in the day, my coworker took home the other X1 Carbon (the one with Win 8.1 on it) so I won't be able to get my hands on it until tomorrow, but I reinstalled the Sierra Wireless drivers on the X1 Carbon, it detected the card properly, and now it's showing up 100% normally in Win 7 (Lenovo Factory install)!!!

I will update this thread tomorrow, but thanks to your idea, I am now wondering if there is some sort of "order of operations" that causes the Intel WLAN card to grab some sort of priority hardware address when it is the only card in the system and the Gobi 5000 WWAN card is incapable of getting or being assigned an appropriate address in the BIOS. By removing the Intel WLAN card completely and leaving the WWAN card in there by itself for a single boot, I wonder if that caused the system to either relinquish the Intel WLAN hardware address or assign a different hardware address to the WWAN card? 

Either way, it's VERY strange in my opinion that this started working only after temporarily removing the WLAN card and then reinserting it.

Tomorrow, when I get a hold of the other X1 Carbon, I will:

1. Go into the BIOS and turn off the internal battery

2. Remove the cover

3. Remove the Intel WLAN card

4. Remove the Sierra Wireless EM7355 WWAN card

5. Boot the laptop (*no* WWAN or WLAN cards installed)

6. Go back into the BIOS and turn off the internal battery

7. Install the Sierra Wireless EM7355 WWAN card

8. Boot the laptop (assume I will *still* not see the WWAN card)

9. Go back into the BIOS and turn off the internal battery

10. Install the Intel WLAN card

11. Close everything back up and hope and pray it all works like magic

In sum, thanks x220forMe for sticking with my thread. Do you have any insight as to what might have caused it to work assuming steps 1-11 are replicable tomorrow?

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,994
Message 23 of 62

Congrats! Smiley Happy

Nice to see that success.

I'll try to explian tomorrow morning new your message. In a word I'm sure laptop (BIOS and Embedded Controller) wasn't reset previously when you pushed power button about 20...30 seconds w/o AC adapter and disabled battery. Did you do that, right?

At the same time there could be another reason why wlan card could influence: as I'm talking, "radio engineering is a science about contacts" ))). So, bag worker-collector, curve hands, bad laptop manufacturing control, all of that might be a reason.

About the next laptop:
remove the cards, insert the cards, reset BIOS and EC, boot up.

The cards are m.2, both of them. There are several type-sizes and connectors by specification, I just forgot to mention about that.

That was good hunting. Smiley Happy

See you tomorrow (today already in my area).

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,988
Message 24 of 62

Thanks! 

Yes, I absolutely did try to reset the BIOS and Embedded Controller in every way conceivable. I tried by using the power button trick (w/o AC and disabled battery) and then via the pin-hole/paper-clip trick. The laptop definitely responded to pinhole trick, if not the power-button trick, and it did seem to reset appropriately, but there was still no change in the detection of the WWAN card.

I would also agree that it was just my stupid self not properly inserting the card into the slot in the first place, but I removed and reinserted the WWAN card a dozen times or more. I also inserted the same WWAN card into the T440s without issue where it would be detected 100% reliably every time. So I really don't think it was just the luck of the draw that the very last time I inserted the WWAN card, it "made contact" and connected up. Again, tomorrow's test will be the most interesting. I am certainly willing to try your method first and see how it goes haha!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,964
Message 25 of 62

Your words about hardware/address space that wlan card locked could be a possible version of issue. But wifi and wwan cards are different hardware. Wifi card sits on the pci-e bus, uses usb interface for some control functions only. Wwan card is connected to the usb interface completely. So they can't conflict for the laptop resources.

But I can't imagine and explain a "human factor" influence for these identical issues for both laptops. I can't blame you (and didn't do that) for incorrect manipulations with wwan card.

It's a riddle.

The most significant "test" with another laptop coud be if you'll reinsert wlan card only, w/o BIOS reset and wwan card removing. I'll be ready to believe for miracles in this case.

Seems I know a reason. It's definitely nesessary to disable the battery and disconnect AC adapter during manipulations with wireless cards. I think you didn't do that befor wwan card reinserting test. If so it's my fault. Smiley Happy Look at the User Guide and find out wireless card reinserting sequence. M.2 isn't "plug & play" interface in full?

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,944
Message 26 of 62

I'm having a similar issue with an X1 Carbon 20A7. My problem is a tiny bit different in that initially the system saw the GOBI 5000 in Device Manager, but as an unknown object. No amount of installing/uninstalling/disabling the device or the driver would get it to work, so I tried the suggestion of removing the WWAN and WLAN cards and rebooting, then re-installing WWAN only, then WLAN, but no love no how.

Coincidentally I had a second X1 Carbon (also 20A7), and a second GOBI 5000 card, so I decided to see if the same problem happened on the second machine. Luckily - NO! It's fine. The difference is the problem machine has a QHD display, while the machine that works only has HD+.

Thinking maybe something got screwed up on the initial Windows install (we wipe and install from scratch as a matter of policy), I re-partitioned the original machine and re-installed Windows fresh, and after that the machine doesn't even see the card at all - same as the problem originally reported in this thread. I again went through all the steps suggested - remove the cards, reset the BIOS, etc. Nothing works at all.

I'm curious - the two machines you had problems with, what was the display configuration? Also FWIW I am using Windows 7 Enterprise.

Also I forgot to mention, I did try both GOBI cards in the problem machine, neither is recognized correctly. Correspondingly both cards work in the good machine. Also all up-to-date on BIOS/Firmware on both machines, and I did reset the BIOS on the problem machine a few time.

It seems to there's an issue with the driver/firmware of the 5000 device. Hopefully Lenovo will address it soon.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,941
Message 27 of 62

welch_pm,

1. what are the Gobi card USB IDs in your 1st laptop? Look at previos pages of this thread. What's the card p/n or FRU (is it for Verizon or AT&T)?

2. did you reset BIOS & EC while internal battery was disabled? Repeat that with and without wireless cards.

3. read previos pages where we discussed about keyboard wireless switcher and BIOS Setup settings.

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,911
Message 28 of 62

It's pretty clear to me (based both on my experience, this thread, and some other threads regarding GOBI 5000) that the current driver is the issue, primarily with Verizon cards. AT&T cards seem to be somewhat more reliable - again my AT&T card worked in laptop A, while the Verizon card didn't work in either laptop A or B.

Rather than continue to futz around I'm going to wait for a new driver, and if that takes too long I may just purchase an AT&T card instead and keep this Verizon card for the future when (hopefully) a stable driver will be available.

Highlighted
mwelch16
What's DOS?
Views: 1,886
Message 29 of 62

Sorry to thread hop, but I wanted to post my experience.  I have  generation X1 Carbon, model 20A7.  The correct Sierra Wireless card FOR VERIZON is the GOBI 5000 EM7355 part #0C52902.  Lenovo sent me the wrong card the first time.

Driver here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038726

My GOBI card came with install instructions for the T431s NOT the 20A7, but they were close enough to work.  The only real difference is the screw pattern and that in the instructions, the wires appear to be attached to the deck, but in my pc they were taped together along the side of the card slot.  The wires are red and blue with heat shrink covering the ends.  I was also sent with the wrong SIM card for this PC.  I believe I received a mini card when it takes a micro in the SIM tray.

The card and driver install went fine.  The pc will not give you any hint of the card until the drivers are installed, then it was ready to go.

I had a SIM that would fit here, but when I tried to activate it from my Verizon website, it reported that the sim wasn't compatible with the card.

Verizon was able to get it working for me by activating the sim WITHOUT the IMEI.  The rep told me they could only do that in store or with one of their phone support reps, so if you're having an issue, make sure they try that.

Sorry this is so long, but I spent six hours on the phone with Lenovo and didn't get anywhere, so I'm trying to save someone else that agony.

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,879
Message 30 of 62

OC52902 is the part number on my Verizon GOBI, and that's the same driver link that doesn't work for me ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors