Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,529
Message 11 of 62

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 20A7 and WWAN (GOBI 5000) note detected

Thanks

while I'm learning your answer check out Windows Mobile Broadband Service (WWANSvc), does it work or no, what's the start type.
I'm sure this is the reason.

If the card will appear launch Device Manager -> Network Adapters thread -> open the card Properties, Details tab, pull down Options list, find out an item Compatible ID. It looks like USB\Class_xx&SubClass_xx&Prot_xx). Copy the values and past here.

Also post here USB IDs of this card, find it at the same list under Hardware ID item (looks like VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx).

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 3,508
Message 12 of 62

X1 Carbon, Services:

WWAN AutoConfig server (WWANSvc) = Running, Startup=Automatic, no errors reported in Event Viewer.

Sierra Wireless Service (SwiService) = Running, Startup=Automatic, no errors reported in Event Viewer.

Since the WWAN card has never appeared in Device Manager on the X1 Carbon, I have to use the T440s to get the ID information of the physical Gobi 5000.

From the T440s, Device Manager:

Sierra Wireless EM7355 Qualcomm Gobi(TM) 4G LTE/HSPA+/EVDO:

Compatible Ids:

USB\Class_02&SubClass_0e&Prot_00

USB\Class_02&SubClass_0e

USB\Class_02

Device Instance Path:

USB\VID_1199&PID_901F&MI_0C\6&7C186C6&0&000C

Hardware ID:

USB\VID_1199&PID_901F&REV_0006&MI_0c

USB\VID_1199&PID_901F&MI_0c

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,495
Message 13 of 62

OK, thanks.

Let's to draw conclusions assuming
a) the card is inserted in the proper wwan slot
b) the slot isn't broken

1. the card is in MBIM mode (new network interface which appeared in win8).

2. As I said in other several threads Win8 supports this mode natively, w/o vendor drivers or sw. Win7 needs the drivers for this mode in any case.

3. Not diagnostic com-port nor modem should not appear within Device Manager under win8 in MBIM mode, only network adapter and (not always) Location Sensor will be here. So it's impossible to diagnose the card in this case using AT commands even if the card exists within DM. Only 3rd party tools can do it.

4. Driver installation (with built-in utilities) in MBIM/win8 should add some Sierra tools for card configuration. Like SWIQMISetup.exe. Vendor driver replaces or no win8 native MBIM driver, don't know that.

5. Under win7 with vendor drivers diagnostic port should appear. As well as the tools I mentioned above.

6. There is another mode - QMI. It needs vendor drivers for any OS. It's possible to switch card modes using vendor or 3rd party tools and AT commands.

7. Network adapter should appear even if Windows MBIM driver or Sierra driver is corrupted. The only difference is adapter should be with "?" symbol in this case.

Now what?
1. The card is visible by OS. Look at Sensor Location item within DM, find out its USB IDs and compare with posted above. It's a sensor for Windows Locations&Sensors platform.

2. It's not a card firmware related issue as it works with another laptop.

3. We have to be sure the wwan part of the card isn't locked for any reason (again, it's not whitelist issue) by laptop' Embedded Controller while it cold boots up (I had this issue with my Gobi 2000, that had one to one symptom as yours) . To do that it's enought to soft reboot laptop and look into DM. Also we have to be sure the card is powered on.

4. We have to be sure Windows MBIM driver doesn't conflict with Sierra one. Just delete Sierra driver with deletion ot them from the system.

Will see and scratch a nape.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 3,488
Message 14 of 62

You gave me some ideas to try:

###############################

Let's to draw conclusions assuming 
a) the card is inserted in the proper wwan slot
b) the slot isn't broken

###############################

Yes, I mean, there isn't much space in the X1 Carbon and given the slot is perfectly sized for the Gobi 5000 card and sits in the exact right spot to attach to the primary and alternate (orange/blue) antenna connections, I have to assume I am plugging it into the right slot. 

I also have to assume the slot is not broken as I have TWO X1 Carbon's and neither are detecting the two different Gobi 5000 cards I have. Granted the laptops were ordered and shipped at the same time, but this would be HIGHLY unlikely, in my opinion, that both have damaged slots.

For kicks, I went into the Lenovo Diagnostics. Under "Tools > System Information" > "Motherboard Bus" and discovered:

1. X1 Carbon - Only the Intel adapters, and Integrated Camera appear in the list. There are NO "unknown" devices and no strange vendor ID's. It's as if the Gobi 5000 card wasn't even plugged in.

2. T440s - Shows the correct Sierra Wireless EM7355 four times and a Vendor ID of 0x1199 / Product ID 0x901F

So to me, if the X1 Carbon can't even detect the Gobi 5000 in the slot within the Lenovo Diagnostics, there is either something "wrong" or "disabled" for that slot and no matter what I try and do in the OS, it will not see it. I would even consider throwing Linux on there to attempt to run some more diagnostics, but if I'm not seeing the Gobi 5000 card in the lowest-level (available to me!) Lenovo Diagnostics, I'm not going to be able to access it in the OS.

I liked your idea about the "make sure the wwan part of the card isn't locked for any reason" - I tried a number of "warm" reboots, plugged into A/C power, etc., but no change in detection from within the Lenovo Diagnostics or within either OS.

I agree, I have no way of knowing whether or not the card is receiving power, it sure seems like it isn't!

When I first tried to place an order for the X1 Carbon, I was told the initial batches were *not* WWAN upgradeable or capable. (I don't know if this is even true, but that's what our vendor told us...) So I waited about a month and was then assured that the 20A7 type was absolutely positively WWAN upgradeable.

I'm just curious if ANYBODY else has plugged in a Gobi 5000 card to their X1 Carbon and have it working?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,484
Message 15 of 62

@kmehling wrote:

Yes, I mean, there isn't much space in the X1 Carbon and given the slot is perfectly sized for the Gobi 5000 card and sits in the exact right spot to attach to the primary and alternate (orange/blue) antenna connections, I have to assume I am plugging it into the right slot.  

Just in case:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM020083 - User Guide, page #11

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM020081 - Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Did you receive the card preinstalled already or outside of the laptop and installed it yourself?

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 3,481
Message 16 of 62

Yep! That's the exact spot/slot. Right next to the Intel Wireless AC card and the SSD. Page 83 has a closer picture of it.

I installed it myself, ordered it (and another identical one) sometime in January 2014 from Lenovo directly via this link:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,471
Message 17 of 62

"WWAN upgradable" means in terms of Lenovo the laptop has sim card holder and FACTORY INSTALLED wwan antennas. Your laptops is both of this kind.

Seems it's not the card related issue but BIOS or/and Embedded Controller. I can't imagine both laptops have broken slot or something else regarding it.

So, let's do the following things:

1. check out the laptop BIOS version. There is the newest one on Lenovo support site, v.1.12, dated 23 April (!!!) 2014 (hehe). Follow the instruction in the readme

2. in any case of the BIOS version (current or the new one) reset it to the default stage. The procedure'll reset an Embedded Controller also. In order to do that disable internal battery (follow the User Guide instructions), power off the laptop, unplug AC. Hold and keep the Power button during 20...30 seconds. Release the Power button, plug AC, go to BIOS Setup, check out the settings you need, boot up the laptop.

And enjoy I hope.Smiley Happy

It's not my trik, it's usual one. Note as I don't have X1C I can't confirm is the power button enough or we can do something else with Emergency-reset hole at the bottom.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,463
Message 18 of 62

For further steps do not forget to look at Locaton Sensor' USB IDs.
And a bit strange question: are you friendly with electrical measurements? Smiley Happy

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 3,455
Message 19 of 62

Why on earth you haven't grown tired of me yet, I have no idea, but I sincerely thank you for your ideas Smiley Happy

hahaha

I never knew about the pinhole trick, that's a good one to know! Still no success, but for the for the record, here is what I've tried:

1. BIOS has been upgraded to the latest (as you correctly point out, FROM THE FUTURE!) - I'm running UEFI BIOS Version GRET35WW (1.12) and Embedded Firmware Version GRHT30WW (1.11) on both X1 Carbon's. I admittedly never even tried the factory-ship BIOS, as I immediately updated the drivers as soon as I booted both the first time.

2. I've tried the whole, "Disable internal battery", press/hold the power button, the paperclip pinhole reset, etc. to no avail. The pinhole definitely works to reset as the machine does go dark, but no change in detection of the Gobi 5000 card.

3. On the Win8.1 X1 Carbon, I do show the "Sierra Wireless Location Sensor" (when the driver is installed) it really appears to be a virtual device as I only see:

Hardware Ids: SENSORS\SWLOCRM

And nothing related to USB. As soon as I uninstall the Sierra Wireless driver, it goes away.

4. I also tried monkeying around with various BIOS settings in case there was some ridiculous correlation to the power settings or UEFI or network. I disabled the onboard NIC and Wireless AC card, tried one at a time, etc. I have *not* tried physically removing the Wireless AC card though I suppose there is no reason why I couldn't give it a shot.

And in answer to your most recent post, you're thinking the same thing I am: Get out a volt meter and check to see if this thing is getting power, right? I wouldn't know exactly where to start looking, but I know enough about how to use a volt meter so as to not fry anything (or hold you responsable haha!) Any thoughts on what I should be picking up?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,447
Message 20 of 62

Happiness was so close... Smiley Happy

I'm not tired, I like new devices, networking, computing, I like (still like ))) ) ThinkPads

OK.
Prior of we'll start to measure "nanoobjects" let's do a very strange test:
remove wwan and wireless cards from their own slots, and insert wlan card into wwan slot. )))

IMHO it'll not work properly but if the slot isn't broken and powered on you might see some items within DM. This test will give us some ideas about wwan slot operability. I think you'll find a way how to fix the short card within this slot. The only reason this test will not give a result is different whitelists fo different slots. Yes, I know, the lists are different with their own attributes. But do these attributes control laptop blocking or no I can't confirm, I did that test with wl avoided. Smiley Wink

Do not fit the wwan card at the same time.

As the slots are m.2 both this test is safe.

Yes, I meant volt-meter. I'll give information a bit later.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors