cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex_sandev
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,317
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4 Generation (20FC) BIOS update (bootable CD written on USB drive) in Linux

Hello!
I want to update my BIOS. My OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I downloaded the bootable CD ISO file from:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bg/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Then checked the checksum, it is fine.

I used 2 methods with no success:

USB Image Writer,

the method explained here (which worked for my ThinkPad T430, but not for X1 Carbon 4 Ge:neration) https://cloudnull.io/2017/07/x1-bios-update-under-linux/

When I boot from the USB drive, a black screen appears and then I am kicked back to the boot device selection menu.

Please, check if the bootable ISO file is actually bootable.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,294
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4 Generation (20FC) BIOS update (bootable CD written on USB drive) makes noth

The BIOS exe file contains tools and instructions for making a bootable flash drive.  If you have access to a Windows machine or VM you might try that approach instead of manipulating the ISO:

Update ThinkPad BIOS with Bootable Flash Drive

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

alex_sandev
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,266
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4 Generation (20FC) BIOS update (bootable CD written on USB drive) in Linux

Szia, Zoltan!

Nagyon köszönom!

Thank you very much!

I have a virtual machine with Windows 10,

I installed just like the webpage said,

I booted and

in BIOS I selected Boot, UEFI only,

this way it worked.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors