Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sodisappointed1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 447
Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen touchpad still inferior after updates

In September 2017 I ordered and received my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th gen laptop.  So far I have found the computer to be outstanding, with one enormous and seriously troubling flaw:  the trackpad / touchpad mouse.  While I have not had the issues with the mouse/arrow suddenly disappearing or freezing, I have found the trackpad to be incredibly tempermental.  For example, when working in Word with tables and you attempt to widen or narrow the width of columns, it is incredibly difficult to easily position the mouse/cursor over the bars of the columns.  Using the trackpad, the pointer will stop moving as you move your finger across the trackpad, but then you move your finger just the slightest bit more, and it moves right over the place where you want the arrow/cursor to be. For example, if I roll my finger tip left or right (not move it, just roll the tip of my finger) the cursor will sometimes respond and other times will not.  It is this gentle rolling that is needed to get the cursor in just the right spot sometimes - but no, not with this laptop. This is a problem in every application i've used thus far and it makes the computer absolutely inferior to my last ThinkPad (T430S) which had an oustanding trackpad that was easy to maneuver and very friendly to the touch. 

I have loaded all the latest drivers for the computer and specific ones for the touchpad, but they have not resolved this problem.  I am a professor at a university and if I could throw this laptop out the window and start over again, I would.  However, my university frowns on this and I will probably be stuck with this otherwise great laptop for the next 3 years.  How can Lenovo charge $1800 for this laptop (my specs:  i7-7600 CUP @ 2.80GHz 2.90GHz RAM 8.00GB, 64-bit.  

V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 268
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen touchpad still inferior after updates

I have the exact same problem. I've had the trackpad and motherboard replaced to no avail. Lenovo neither recognise this problem nor care.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors