BG

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th battery - one year later

2019-04-18, 13:43 PM

hi all, 

The reason of writing this is to express disagreement with Lenovo ThinkPad battery replacement policy.

I’m a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen user, and I have been using this device for little more than an year now. Everything has been working ok, however recently (probably 2 months ago) I noticed that my battery dies much more quickly than its used to. I checked the warranty status and ... surprize, surprize the warranty of the battery had expired a month ago (I really hope that is coincident !?!). That obviously didn’t make me happy, but I said, well, nothing last forever, and one year of decent battery life is probably all you could hope for nowadays, even from X1 carbon. So, I decided, I’d pay for another year of decent battery life. I called the support line and asked how much it will cost me to get my battery replaced on site (on site replacement is part of the ThinkPad warranty). The response I got back was kind of unexpected. They explained to me that actually “the onsite repair service is not applicable in this case as my battery is out of support already”! 

Now, let me explain how I feel about this.

Little more than and year ago I bought a very expensive device, for that money I could have bought two devices with similar spec from another vendor/brand and kept one for spare just in case something goes wrong with the one I’m using. However, I decided to stick to ThinkPad as it was a brand famous for its built quality and more importantly 3 years of on-site repairmen service.

However, if you ask me now, I made the wrong decision.

It looks like the brand quality faded away and the on-site repairmen service is just a catch which is kind of there, but you cannot get it when you really need it.

Thanks 

Plamen

Options

12 Posts

04-18-2019

US

5 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th battery - one year later

2019-04-18, 14:42 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear about that experience and I'm not sure who told you that but we would be able to install that part for you.  All we require is that you have a Lenovo battery and not a 3rd party battery and your device must still be covered by a Lenovo warranty.  Please let me know what I can do to help.

Options

4 Posts

04-18-2019

BG

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2019-04-18, 15:27 PM

Hi ChuckEDubs

Thanks for your reply. Actully I've been told that my battery can only be replaced if I ship the device to Lenovo service centre here in the UK, which means I'll have to stay without a laptop for at least week and a half (5 or 7 working days, denents on who did I talk to from the support team). Is that what you are refering to when you said "we would be able to install that part for you." ? 

Thanks 

Plamen 

Options

12 Posts

04-18-2019

US

5 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-04-18, 15:35 PM

No I was referring to having a tech come to you and install the device onsite.  Only problem is I am in the US and I am not sure how the UK branch works.  Ususally, I would just send a tech to install if you have a Lenovo part and have warranty.  Maybe you could tell them that you have the battery and need it installed, per your warranty that includes on-site service.

Options

4 Posts

04-18-2019

BG

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-04-18, 16:33 PM
ok, that is interesting as I've been told, on two occasions, that I need my device shipped to a service centre to get my battery replaced. Any idea who should I talk to get my issue escalated?
Thanks
Plamen
Options

12 Posts

04-18-2019

US

5 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-04-18, 16:38 PM
i have no idea as i am in the US but im sure if u ask to speak to a manger they should be able to get u going in the right direction
Options

4 Posts

04-18-2019

BG

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-04-18, 16:47 PM
right, ok thank you very much

Plamen
Options

7502 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32270 Signins

1188405 Page Views

• Views: 1188405
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-04-25, 8:39 AM

Hello

I took the liberty of matching your given location with the IP address you posted in Community from.

"Country Location

Members should denote their country location in their personal profile. Location is important when offering advice, as sales, service, and product options may not be consistent country to country."

A possible solution would be to contact a local authorized warranty service provider near to your location and request their assistance.

Search for a Service Provider

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bg/en/serviceprovider

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save