cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kriegaex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,046
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th: cooling fan running constantly, but only when Windows lock screen is active

Quick facts:

• ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th
  • Product ID 20HR002MGE
  • Vantage installed, all latest updates too incl. BIOS
  • BIOS according to Vantage: N1MET46W 1.31

This has been driving me nuts for weeks. It never occurred until a few weeks ago, though: Whenever the Windows 10 lock screen is activated (no matter if automatically after timeout or manually by me), the cooling fan starts running full speed without even stopping until I unlock the computer again.

I saw that many other users seem to have the same problem, even with the 6th generation computers. First I thought I might have caught a crypto miner doing something in the background, but this has been ruled out by extensive malware scans and CPU/GPU monitoring. Neither processing unit does anything, it is definitely a Lenovo thing.

Please help me, my business computer is running 24/7 and has to because I also need to access it remotely. At night I cannot sleep because of the fan humming non-stop. Plus, I am afraid of premature cooling fan bearing wear-out.

Update: I also tried this solution, but it does not help at all.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 5,958
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th: cooling fan running constantly, but only when Windows lock screen is act

Hi kriegaex, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Does what you are seeing resemble this?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
kriegaex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,927
Message 3 of 7

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th: cooling fan running constantly, but only when Windows lock screen is act

No, it does not. When I switch on the CPU history graph on task manager, lock the screen, wait 3 seconds until the fan starts running and log back in a few seconds later to silence the fan again, no spike in CPU usage is being shown. I even tried via Remote Desktop like in the thread you linked to. There I also do not see anything. As soon as I log in via RDP, the fan shuts down again. Funny detail: It stays silent after logging off from RDP again until I unlock the screen once locally and lock it again. So it must be something triggered by the very action of locally locking the screen.

Highlighted
kriegaex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,922
Message 4 of 7

Correction: It is the same problem, but I could not detect it with Windows task manager, only with SysInternals Process Explorer, activating the CPU graph (Ctrl-I) before locking the screen.

So what can I do against it? The other thread does not seem to have a solution.

Process details:

• Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\iMController\PluginHost\Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.SettingsApp.exe
  • Command line: -name 23dedca1-8351-4d5b-afaf-6384b3672883 -runas -pluginName GenericDisplayPlugin -pluginVersion 1.2.178.34
  • Current directory: C:\Windows\System32\
kriegaex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,919
Message 5 of 7

As suggested here, I deactivated the system device "System Interface Foundation V2 Device" in the Windows device manager. I did not uninstall it, so if I ever want to use the Lenovo Vantage or Lenovo Settings again for any reason, I can just reactivate it. As of now both apps complain about the inactive driver and suggest me to "repair" it, which of course I decline - at the cost of not being able to use the apps anymore.

I do hope Lenovo will fix that driver so everyone can use it again, but for now my problem is solved by this workaround, the CPU fan stays silent now with active lock screen.

tbThink17
Serial Port
Views: 5,862
Message 6 of 7

Similar problem with fan running high... I disabled the 'Dynamic Brightness Control' in the lenovo companion which dims the screen when laptop is locked. This solved the high CPU and fan problem.
kriegaex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,850
Message 7 of 7

OMG, that also did the trick! I was curious and reactivated the system driver, then found the setting (nowadays it is located in the Lenovo Vantage app) and changed it. Here is a screenshot (sorry, German language but it should help to locate it anyway).

2018-06-26 20_38_40-Lenovo Vantage.pngAdaptive brightness control

Switch off and - enjoy the silence! (Yes, I like the old Depeche Mode song.)

Thanks for helping narrow down this problem to not just the System Interface Foundation V2 Device but specifically to the dynamic brightness control setting. That should make it much easier for Lenovo to finally fix it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors