Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
einlammbraten
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th gen Function Keys partially disabled

Maybe someone is experiencing similar issues, or has some usable advice for me:

Since a week or so, some of the function keys on my ThinkPad Carbon do not work anymore. This is weird for different reasons, as they are not locked and it furthermore only concerns some of them. While I can change the sound settings, it is impossible to activate my microphone. Similarly, I can still change the brightness of the screen, while all of the fn keys more towards the right do not work anymore.
Lastly, this does not seem to be a mechanical/physical problem, as the keys themselves do still work as regular F-keys when locked - only the Lenovo-specific functions do not work as they should.
I already re-installed Lenovo Vantage and ran multiple trouble shooting tools - all with no effect at all.

Has anybody experienced something similar? When googleing it, it seemed that am the only person that has these kinds of issues.
Thanks!

PS, in case someone from Lenovo reads this (and without wanting to be too negative here): The MTSA system that I also tried to turn to for technical support is the worst and most dysfunctional tool I have seen for quite some time, and is, in my humble opinion, unworthy of a leading tech company. In my case, I was simply unable to send off my filled our request, despite trying from multiple devices and multiple times. Lenovo should really make it easier to get quick support, instead of making people waste their time like that.

TheResetter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 136
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th gen Function Keys partially disabled

I had a similar problem and posted the question here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/T470s-keyboard-problem-after-1803-update/m-p/4081283#M6689.

Don't know if they are related.

Mainah
Paper Tape
Views: 112
Message 3 of 6

I am experiencing a similar problem, fresh image and used the SCCM driver pack to install all of Lenovo's drivers onto an X1 6th gen and only half of the function keys work. Mute, sound, brightness adjustments work.... but Wifi, bluetooth, settings keys don't.

Sorry I don't have a solution but am hoping someone from Lenovo can shed some light this...

einlammbraten
Paper Tape
Views: 90
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for sharing. That even seems to be the exact same problem that I am having with the exact same keys. Still waiting for an update to come on Vantage, but good to know that fresh image doesn't help anyway.
Let's hope Lenovo has a solution for this rather quickly - some of the keyes (e.g. microphone) are hard to bypass.

Mainah
Paper Tape
Views: 65
Message 5 of 6

I'm hoping for a quick resolution on this too as we are getting close to finalizing our image and deploying firm wide. I've reached out to our Lenovo sales rep to see if it can be escalated to any internal engineers. If I learn anything new from them I'll post here.

Mainah
Paper Tape
Views: 56
Message 6 of 6

From Lenovo:

The HotKey utility should be installed as a separate stand alone utility.  This cannot be installed as an *.inf which are available in SCCM drive packs.  Here is a link to the T580 Recipe Card for the T580. This shows within the Hardware Apps section how to install this utility.  Have the customer install as a Task Sequence.  https://download.lenovo.com/cdrt/recipes/tp_t580_w1064.pdf Here is a link to the individual HotKey utility: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nz/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-... Makes sure the customer has installed the complete exe package and test again.  

I've tested this and can confirm it does fix the problem!

Cheers!

Top Kudoed Authors