Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisMc
Paper Tape
Views: 6,172
Message 1 of 26

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and ThinkPad USB-C Dock issues

We recently upgraded 5 users from X1C5thgens to 6thgens but the  ThinkPad USB-C Dock Model 40A9 keeps disconnecting the mice and keyboards intermintebtly  and sometimes there is a clicking sound coming from in the docks themselves. The only way to resolve the issue is to power cycle the dock  an the issue goes away until it happens again.

I called Lenovo but they dont have any information me so i was wondering if anyone is experiencing these issues with the docks and the 6thgens 

Thank you

aaron-p
Paper Tape
Views: 5,945
Message 2 of 26

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and ThinkPad USB-C Dock issues

I have this exact same issue.

When my X1 Carbon Gen 6 reaches 100% charge the USB disconnects on the USB C dock and the Thunderbolt 3 port starts making a static noise.

Only way around it is to force Lenovo Vantage to charge to 95% and keep it there and it's fine.

The weird thing is the display still works and it still charges so not sure what's going on.

Got the latest drivers.

I'm trialing the X1 Carbon Gen 6 to roll them out company wide so it'd be good to see if this can be resolved by Lenovo Support

JimMcD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,896
Message 3 of 26

Having the similar issues here.  However, I’ve noticed that if the machine is shut down and powered up off the dock, everything works or at least it seems that way.  It's only until the machine is removed from the dock or put to sleep and placed back on the dock do we begin to loose USB connectivity sporadically.  I've updated everything System Update has to offer and the issue is still resident.

To add to it, we have a large number of these units in production and at least at this time, only 4 or so are experiencing these issues.  Working with Lenovo Support, they asked the basics about updates and trying other peripherals which of course we tried.

Now they're going to replace the system boards on these units.

Hoping to speak to someone about a potential ‘bad batch’ of systems that may be causing the issue.  Considering we have more to push out, it would be nice to know beforehand.

aaron-p
Paper Tape
Views: 5,873
Message 4 of 26

It's either got to be an issue with the dock itself or a driver issue.

I also have issues with HDMI not being recognised on the X1 itself until I close the lid.

I'll reach out to Lenovo Support as well and see what they suggest, it's not annoying me personally enough to matter but if we deploy these company wide I don't want to be firefighting these issues.

neysertime
Paper Tape
Views: 5,845
Message 5 of 26

Me and a colleague are running a trial on X1C6 and 40A9 docks and experiencing the same issues.

Intermittent connectivity to the usb-ports and some problems with screens when undocking and a static noise from the usb-c port or dock, can't seem to figure out the exact source.

USB-ports stop functioning intermittently (could happen 1-2 times per minute) and I've also tried connecting a pair USB-headphones and I notice a static noise in the headphones and the sound sways between right and left. They work fine when connected directly to the laptop, in fact, everything connected directly works fine so my guess is that the problem is the compatibility between the new X1C6 and the dock.

I have noticed that when the computer is unplugged from the dock for a longer period (30min - 1h) and then is reconnected my screens (running DP-cables) won't connect automatically and only way to fix this is to turn off and on both screens.

I've been in contact with the Lenovo Support and we've tried several different things on 2 different docks and 2 different machines:

• Latest firmware

• Latest drivers

• Latest Windows updates (currently running 1803)

• Latest BIOS

• Using both USB-C ports for the dock

• Changing battery charging in Lenovo Vantage to stop at 95% (this actually helped a bit and caused the ports to lose function less often)

• Using mouse directly in the computer whilst rest is in the dock leaves the mouse working perfectly while other peripherals in the dock don't.

• I've tried an X1C5 in the same dock and no problems occur whilst using my X1C6 on 4 different 40A9 docks reveals same issues

• Changed power settings to use less CPU when in "balanced" or "low" (see here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/m... )

Honestly, I can live with the static noise (might be coil whine) and the screen-issue but the USB-problem is my main problem, it makes working with the dock unbearable. Losing mouse or keyboard functionality frequently is really annoying.

Hopefully my contact in Lenovo Support 2nd line will help me out in finding a solution for this. My guess is that a new firmware or driver would resolve this issue.

neysertime
Paper Tape
Views: 5,776
Message 6 of 26

Hey again!

I updated my X1C6's bios today to the latest version that came out last friday (June 8th).

My problems have decreased a lot since the update to version 1.22.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that this might resolve the issue and would be glad if you could test this and reply if it helps or not.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

JimMcD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,771
Message 7 of 26

Thanks for the heads up on the BIOS release. Not to be nit-picky but did this resolve the problem or just decrease it? From what I've noticed, at least with the issue I have here, if the machine is restarted while connecting to the dock, the USB ports work as expected.
If the machine is on the dock, removed and then plugged back into the dock, a few moments later, the issue comes back.
neysertime
Paper Tape
Views: 5,763
Message 8 of 26

No problems!

My problems with the USB-ports are existent regardless if I start the machine already plugged into the dock or if it's removed and then plugged in moments later. 

I've yet to notice any problems with the usb-ports since the update but I've only been testing for about an hour or so, however, before the update I noticed problems with the USB-ports every minute or two.

Did you try to update the BIOS yourself and see if it changes anything?

JimMcD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,753
Message 9 of 26

I haven't applied the update just yet. I'll get one of the machines today and give it a shot. Hopefully this will correct the issue.
Also, the new 'Wake on Voice' feature has me intrigued. What kind of doors is this going to open?
Lenovo Employee terrywang
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,456
Message 10 of 26

Can you share your system's BIOS and EC version? Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors