Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mooz80
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,470
Message 21 of 46

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and ThinkPad USB-C Dock issues

Hi, 

I don't see anything newer than 1.34 on the update website. 

Did you change any other settings? 

Thanks

Lenovo Employee terrywang
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,465
Message 22 of 46

Mooz80
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,441
Message 23 of 46

Hi,

I made all the updates you provided, reboot the laptop and power cycle the dock and it's seems worst thant it was... I cannot get a stable connection for more than 1 minute now... 

Mooz80
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,414
Message 24 of 46

Hello,

Can't promised it's 100 percent related, but I noticed the following: 

Laptop was 90% charged when I got into the office
I plugged the dock and had the disconnection problem multiple times withing the first 2 minutes (happened like 5 times)
Then, for the next hour, the connection was pretty stable (dropped only once)
As soon as the laptop reached 100%, the connection dropped again. 

So, it really seems that there is an issue linked with the power supplied by the docking station.
aaron-p
Paper Tape
Views: 1,390
Message 25 of 46

This still sounds like a driver issue.

When this was an issue for me I'd encounter it more when the laptop was charged to 100% and changing the maximum charge limit to 95% fixed it for a bit before the BIOS and driver updates.

If the updates aren't working then it might be a hardware issue, contact Lenovo support directly
bdwyertech-
Paper Tape
Views: 1,278
Message 26 of 46

Seeing the same issue on my P52s and a Pro dock... Unusable -- will try adjusting power settings to not charge past 95% and see if that helps.

FWIW, the issue has gotten worse with more recent firmwares on the P52s, I'm thinking post-December updates

Yaryar1
What's DOS?
Views: 970
Message 27 of 46

Try this. Get a usb to Usb C adaptor. Connect to a usb 2 port. This will force the dock to enumerate to USB 2.  The problem should go away.

the issue with this is you’ll need to power the pc with a power supply. Obviously this isn’t idea, but it is a workaround. 

Lenovo, can you please fix this issue. It seems to happen to 50% of our users.

Perezalvarezhi
Paper Tape
Views: 845
Message 28 of 46

Hello everyone I just got an X1 Extreme and it might be that i have to post a new issue since it is a different model (still is almost the same computer as the Carbon).

I started using the elgato USB C Thunderbolt dock with the same issues you guys list in here:

• continuos disconnects from USB ports but not from video (this one has displayport)
  • Also the ethernet port on the dock disconnects
  • The charging stops
  • It disconnects with the USB disconnect sound and connects back after a second and makes the noise of connection.
    • i dont have keyboard, USB and ethernet for about 10 seconds each time
    • While writing this post it happened 3 times.

I have already followed this post's recomendations of updating driveres (for the extreme not the carbon) and after update it even seems like the problem is worse.

Anyone found a fix for this?

EDIT: The Only fix I have found is if I disable the Lenovo Vantage battery Throttling, but when it gets to 100% and stops charging it fails again.

WillemT2
Paper Tape
Views: 807
Message 29 of 46

Exactly the same issue here, also with an X1 Extreme. I have now set the stop charging level to 95% to see if it changes anything. But reading how reaching 100% potentially causes it explains the power disconnect/connect messages I see in the Event Viewer every time the power cut happens.

Edit: Sadly the issue persists, even with the 95% max charge.

bradtiller
Serial Port
Views: 591
Message 30 of 46

I got my first ThinkPad, an X1 Carbon, a little less than a month ago and just received the ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 (40AS) the other day, and am frequently experiencing the issues described in this thread.

Whenever the system is under heavy load, particularly when the fans activate, the USB-C dock begins intermittently disconnecting and reconnecting from the X1 Carbon. The easiest way to trigger this is to try and stream 4K video or do something else clearly resource-intensive.

I've updated all software as recommended in this thread, disabled/enabled battery throttling, tried booting with everything plugged in, with nothing plugged in, but nothing has worked. It seems to happen no matter which or how many peripherals are plugged into it.

I am pretty bummed since I had always planned to use this machine with a dock for ethernet, USB audio and mouse, and that seems to be... impossible? Even with Lenovo's official ThinkPad USB-C Gen 2 dock?

I hope someone from Lenovo can provide a solution. I really love the X1 aside from this. It's not clear how to get in touch with someone from Lenovo who can help with this, though.

EDIT: The only thing that seems to help is having both the AC adapter and the dock connected to the laptop simultaneously. Which unfortunately kind of defeats the point of using a dock in the first place, but seems to confirm that the issue is power related.

If I have both connected and then disconnect the X1's AC adapteronly, the dock will start making a clicking sound and the light will flash orange and continue disconnecting until I reconnect the dedicated AC power. So can this dock simply not power the X1 Carbon? I'm so confused.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors