Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Perezalvarezhi
Paper Tape
Views: 719
Message 31 of 41

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and ThinkPad USB-C Dock issues

Just an update:

• i could not make the elgato Usb C dock work unless I connect the PC to power
  • I checked with another "Dock"  I used an Aorus eGPU 2070 Gaming box which is an external GPU but includes 3 USB ports.
    • The device works as intended with no failure, no problems when it reaches full charge or throttle charge etc.
    • I can charge the device with the eGPU
    • This device charges the machine but it always says NOT CHARGING but it will never get down on battery level even while playing intensive gaming.
    • The level stays at 84% even when my Lenovo Vantage settings are 75%-90% and even when the device says not charging(still on Lenovo Vantage it says 100W USB-C power is connected)
    • The Aorus has a 100W power supply which is different from the elGato dock at 85W

Thats all I have.

bradtiller
Serial Port
Views: 691
Message 32 of 41

Thanks for posting your experience here. Seems like this really is a problem particular to the X1 Carbon Gen 6, and not with any particular dock or other ThinkPads. I posted another thread on this issue since it seems like Lenovo's most recent software updates and ThinkPad dock hardware have done nothing to solve the issues:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/New-ThinkPad-USB-C-Dock-constant-disconnect-f...

I get that solving software problems takes time, but it would be reassuring to know that this is on Lenovo's radar. I was planning to pick up the ThinkVision M14 monitor when it came out this summer under the assumption that I could use the dock to power everything. Maybe not?

bradtiller
Serial Port
Views: 653
Message 33 of 41

Update on this: which USB-C port are you all connecting to your dock through?

I realized today that my ThinkPad USB-C dock gen 2 seems to function fine when plugged into the USB-C port closest to the user, next to the ethernet port, rather than the USB-C port closer to the back of the machine (which I imagine is the one almost everyone uses if they're both available).

I am unable to reproduce the disconnection issues when using this port. Whenever I switch the USB-C cable back to the rear port, the issues immediately resume.

Would love to know if this is the same for others. 

NicholasB
Paper Tape
Views: 358
Message 34 of 41

This is an interesting find, I have just received an X1 G6 with the USB-C dock and noticed the same issues and has been stumping me for days. I did try my Apple USB-C and Apple (large) power supply today which is connected to a 4k monitor via HDMI and an external USB hub and di not have any issues at all. 

I have been wondering if the supplied AC adapter with the USB-C dock has sufficient capacity... you would expect though that it not work at all and a warning would pop up in my experience with these Lenovo devices. 

Will try the port closer to the user with the Lenovo dock tomorrow and report back. I think I will also try a larger Lenovo power supply (from another dock) with same output voltage but higher current capacity and also see how this goes.

I did experience some time ago with an X1 Yoga device that the shipped dock and power suppply did not have sufficient capacity and enovo shipped out a larger AC adapter - I wonder if we are seeing a similar symptom.

Stay Tuned.

bradtiller
Serial Port
Views: 337
Message 35 of 41

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your post. Looking forward to hear how it goes with the other USB-C port. I still haven't had any issues since switching, but I the issues restart any time I try to switch to the rearmost port.

I was hopeful when I saw there'd been multiple firmware updates, but they didn't change anything. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the USB-C ports on the Gen 6.

NicholasB
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 36 of 41

Ok, bad news unfortunately (well, from my perspective anyway). I had the X1 running on the port closest to me and after ~1.5 hours the reset occurred. I swapped the power supply unit, same issue and then also swapped out the dock - same issue.

I have a number of other 3rd party docks that I will try and determine the success rate over the next few days.

The issue I had yesterday when using an Apple thunderbolt dongle was the external 4k screen updates seemed slow even though both docks are driving the display at 30Hz (strange). It could have been perception - not sure.

More testing and fiddling needed...

NicholasB
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 37 of 41

Further testing today after the above failures... as another user on this forum posted I tried in addition to the dock and it's connected power another USB-C power source into the other USB-C (Apple Power adapter) and had a full afternoon without any glitches... not sure what this tells us but perhaps:

1. A firmware issue in the dock and/or X1 resulting in the dock losing it's mind when battery power or battery saving mode is triggered

2. Insufficient power current for the dock and the X1 - would be supported by the additional supply stablising the issue

3. Dock issue, I have tried two new ones so it's unlikely to be a faulty dock. Will try another USB-C dock (OWC) tomorrow and see how that performs

Not a good experience really for a "high-end" product. Is there anyone from Lenovo monitoing this and working activly on the issue??? Happy to assist in the problem resolution for all our sakes.

kingpongg
Paper Tape
Views: 264
Message 38 of 41

Sorry if this is irrelevant but did you already try limiting the max charge capacity to 95% using the Vantage app? We have a few gen 6 carbons that had issues with every thunderbolt dock we tried (including 3rd party) and this has solved it. not a single blip or issue in months now. It may not work for you but try it if you haven't yet.

NicholasB
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 39 of 41

@kingpongg, thanks for the tip - I have not yet tried this as keeping in the back pocket as a last resort (shouldn't have to do this surely). 

I have been running from an OWC USB-C dock all day today and all has been fine, no issues what so ever; so suggests an issue with the Lenovo docks and the X1 device perhaps.

I have been on the phone to support and they provided me a link to the latest firmware as apparently the Lenovo Vantage does not do the FW updates for the USB-C dock. I have applied these and switched back to the Lenovo dock and will see how this-afternoon goes.

Will report back.

bradtiller
Serial Port
Views: 208
Message 40 of 41

I'm also up to date on all firmware downloaded directly from the support page, and haven't found it to help. I've identified two issues which don't seem to be directly related:

1. Sometimes the dock will begin rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting, the status light turning yellow, and the device making a loud clicking sound in the process. The only resolution I've found for this is to power cycle the dock. This occurs very rarely and usually when waking from sleep.

2. The dock will begin disconnecting and reconnecting from the computer without the status light changing and without a clicking sound. This seems to usually occur when the computer is under somewhat heavy load, e.g. streaming high-resolution video. The device manager will indicate that not enough power is being provided. Some users have suggested setting a custom battery threshhold to fix this, but I've never found that to help. This issue only ever occurs with the rearmost USB-C port; ever since switching to the one closer to the user, this has never happened again. Moving the USB-C cable to the back port reliably starts the issue up again. Interestingly, this also never happens if you connect both the dock and the laptop's included AC adapter to the laptop, implying this really is a power supply issue. But then why only with one port?

Other users in this thread have mentioned running into the same issues with their X1 6th with non-ThinkPad docks, so I don't think this is limited to the ThinkPad dock. I think it's an issue with the X1 6th.

Really wish a rep from Lenovo would reply to this thread...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors