Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 549
Message 721 of 729

Re: WiFi Card upgrade or replace

May I ask if anyone has ordered the top of the line X1C7 pre-configured option?  

this is the option that is farthest to the right when you see those columns of various models (Part Number:  20R10015US).

the phone order guy said it will ship out as it said on the website:  1-3 days, but with all the comments here, i'm skeptical.

kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 540
Message 722 of 729

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

I ordered a different configuration on Nov 4th that also had the ship time at 1-3 days and after ordering the status shows the estimated ship date as the 13th (9 days).

I've been waiting for a good deal which I got (guaranteed to be the lowest price for the remainder of 2019) so waiting a bit longer for it to arrive I'm ok with.

I wonder as we get closer to the holidays how the increased sales will affect delivery times, might be good to order sooner than later with that in mind.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

JFarnsworth
Paper Tape
Views: 400
Message 723 of 729

X1C7 I5 vs I7?

I have a budget that will allow me to buy X1C7 with I5-8265u or with I78565u.  Either would have 16GB, 1tb SSD, and low power 1920x1080 400 nits IPS display.

So, other than the cost difference between I5 and I7, and nominal speed difference estimated at 6-11%, my bigger concerns are battery life and heat of the enclosure.

Application is full Office and Browsing.  No programming.  No video editing.  No bit coin mining.

So, will the I5 give noticeably better battery life, and/or run noticeably cooler than I7?

kcilo1
What's DOS?
Views: 394
Message 724 of 729

anyone have insight into approximately when the x1c7 will have the i7-10 as a configurable option?

kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 372
Message 725 of 729

For the usage you mentioned an i7 will probably not make a different and the performance gain might not be much greater than the i5 and there should be an increase in battery life and less heat output.

I found a German review of the X1 G7 that mentioned that:

The test device was deliberately ordered with the smallest Core i5-8265U, since especially thin notebooks hardly benefit from the Core i7 due to their limited heat dissipation. This was shown most recently by the Yoga S940 (test) , in which Lenovo sacrificed performance in favor of a quiet operation, so that the bottom line was no higher than a Core i5.

Also, not sure you need 16gb of memory but if you have the budget it's always good to have more just in case.

I decided to go with the base model when they were on special for $999, i5 and 8gb will work for my usage and I can upgrade the SSD later if I need more space for less then ordering with the laptop.

Highlighted
kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 335
Message 726 of 729

@kirkd wrote:

I ordered a different configuration on Nov 4th that also had the ship time at 1-3 days and after ordering the status shows the estimated ship date as the 13th (9 days).

Shipping update:

My order shipped today, 4 days after the order was placed.

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 291
Message 727 of 729

@kirkd:

trying to understand what you wrote --

you placed your order on 11/4th, and the ordering page said 1-3 days ship time;  then, after ordering, the ship time was immediately changed to 11/13th, right?

then, yesterday, on 11/8th, your order was shipped out?

this is even worse than what many folks have written about.  Meaning:

they can't even predict what will happen for even the next few days!  you'd think that before they give out a revised shipping date of 11/13th, that on 11/4th, the day you ordered, they would have some decent idea that they would be able to ship your unit out by around 11/8th!  that's merely 4 days away from the time you ordered!

what type of company can't even predict their own inventory situation, their own shipping queue, for a mere 4 days ahead of the time of ordering?   bizarre to the max.

how do they run such a large company?

jonneymendoza
Punch Card
Views: 272
Message 728 of 729

@kcilo1 wrote:

anyone have insight into approximately when the x1c7 will have the i7-10 as a configurable option?

October....

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 227
Message 729 of 729

the current pre-configured i7-10710U processor, with UHD screen, sounds good, but when you read about the watts used, wouldn't cooling, once again, be the limiting factor?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-10710U-Laptop-Processor-Comet-Lake-U.430585.0.html

"...Thanks to the two additional cores and the high clock rates, the processor performance of the i7-10710U is very good for its class. It should outperform the top Whiskey Lake and also Ice Lake processors if the cooling and TDP settings are not limiting....

...The chip is still produced in the 14nm++ process as Whiskey Lake. The TDP (PL1) is specified at 15 Watts but can be varied from 12.5 to 25 Watt from the manufacturer (cTDP up/down) resulting in different performance (especially Turbo durations). To provide the full performance, Intel proposes a short power peak of 90 W (PL4) for the i7 and therefore 8 W more than the quad-core CML-U CPUs and a whopping 19 W more than Whiskey Lake. Therefore, some slim laptops with 15W CML-U CPUs wont offer the i7 as they cant provide enough power and cooling to get full performance out of the 6 cores..."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors