cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,972
Message 91 of 664

Re: Would scaling be an issue with UHD and WQHD? FHD shouldn't have issues.

Fan noise is one of those YMMV questions. It totally depends on what you have the machine doing, and your sensitivity to noise. I can say in my case I don't notice the fan, even when I hook the X1C7 up to my 5k2k (5120x2160) Thunderbolt 3 external monitor and play 4k video on it. I am aware that it runs occasionally but it never bothers me. My use is web, email, Office applications. But this does not mean someone couldn't have it gasping with some CPU or graphics-intensive apps in a quiet room and get irritated by the noise.

I can't comment on i5 vs i7 temperatures, because I don't know how Intel is manufacturing them. It used to be the same silicon tested and binned according to the speed it could reliably sustain, but I am not privvy to how that is done today.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 3,933
Message 92 of 664

@bananaman:   thanks for all your posts and comments, immensely helpful as you actually have the laptop.

Question:  all these people are talking about Windows 10 scaling issues for this tiny 14" screen, how have you found the UHD scaling issues on your 14" X1C7?   one would have thought you can't read anything unless you scaled things up by a LOT!

people are warning me left and right to NOT buy UHD and even do NOT buy WQHD, but i fail to understand why WQHD is so scary to buy!  the guy warning me to NOT buy WQHD says that for some older utility programs, i won't be able to scale them and i won't be able to use them at all, so he's advising FHD.   Furthermore, he says that FHD will look very refined on a 14" screen already, i.e. no jagged edges and on curves, so going to WQHD even would be akin to buying a car that can go up to 180 mph.  overkill is what he's saying.  he feels that FHD is already plenty.

note kindly please that i do emails, websurfing, and inconsequencial and unimportant video viewing.  i do not watch anything of consequence on a tiny little 14" screen so it is essentially a business-oriented email laptop with a lot of websurfing and reading as it is my travel laptop.   at my desk, i use a 42" LG 4K monitor (a monitor, not a tv) and it is very nice.  so that's a rule of thumb to use as what i'm accustomed to day-to-day.  

thank you in advance.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,904
Message 93 of 664

I think those people could have been right in the past, that scaling WAS an issue, but it is much less of an issue today. I don't have any apps for which it is an issue. Maert posted an excellent summary of scaling in Windows 10 further back in this thread.

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 3,898
Message 94 of 664

From the last set of informative posts about scaling, I think the WQHD makes sense for me. I'm a writer, so my life revolves around MS Word and email. FHD would be cheaper, but WQHD with scaling (which is perfectly fine) will give me extra sharpness.

Question now is matte or glossy. I don't particularly need HDR or super accurate colour, but I do like the saturation of colour you get with glossy. Having said that, I believe Lenovo glossy displays are almost mirrors, in contrast to the glossy display on my retina MacBook Pro, which does have an antireflective coating.

My desktop is matte, and it looks superb to me (27" Asus something), so that seems the logical choice. 300 nits is the same as my MacBook Pro and that is VERY bright.

kudram
Punch Card
Views: 3,722
Message 95 of 664

I have the X1C6 with WQHD/HDR.  It's the first time I've used a glossy ThinkPad.  While I can tell that it's glossy vs. matte.  I rarely have an occassion that it gets in my way.  I'm using it indoors now and there is no glare.  The only way I can tell is if I consciously look for it.  I did, however, used to work in an office where there was a ceiling light at *just* the right angle that it hit the screen "perfectly" to the point that it annoyed me, but only in one particular room with one particular seat. 

I don't use the laptop much outdoors or where there is particuarly a lot of sunlight (I live in Seattle).

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 3,516
Message 96 of 664

Additional Processors and other options available by early July? ...or when?

Looking on lenovo.com's options for the X1C7, there are merely three models available currently.

May I ask if anyone knows whether, say, by early July, there would be more options?  Any chance for newer Ice Lake processors?

Or, is their entire X1C7 options all completely already included in this following chart (via this link)?

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_7th_Gen?MT=20QD

Currently, the meager offering of three options where NONE of them offer the opportunity to customize any hardware whatsoever!

Is this merely a "soft introduction", not the full fledged full range introduction?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,493
Message 97 of 664

Re: Additional Processors and other options available by early July? ...or when?

@dualmonitors wrote:

Is this merely a "soft introduction", not the full fledged full range introduction?

This is how it typically goes. More options, including customization, will appear.

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 3,472
Message 98 of 664

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

FYI, two customisable configs of the X1C 7th gen are now available at Lenovo UK.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/X1-Carbon-Gen-7/p/22TP2TXX17G

I am actually amazed at the price - they are CHEAPER than comparable 6th gen models. I've gone for the base X1C but with the WQHD matte display. Shipping time is 3-4 weeks.

DrTed1
Punch Card
Views: 3,328
Message 99 of 664

Re: Additional Processors and other options available by early July? ...or when?

Great question. I would also like to know. 

Hartmannsson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,286
Message 100 of 664

Performance & battery life

As per my previous post (which got drowned in the informative scaling discussion) the CPU upgrade options don't look that exciting on paper.  Add to that an expected lead time of 3-4 weeks for pre configured SKUs!

I did notice the offerings being on Lenovo UK last night and specced up a machine that I'd go for but unfortunately the 500 nits screen isn't available yet. 500 nits is crucial for me when I work on the bus / train. I tried once working whilst commuting on my old P50 but 300 nits just weren't working due to the bright light outside.

Back to the CPU and battery debate, my i7 8650u / 1TB / 16GB never inspires confidence when it comes to battery life. Even up to a point that I was looking at power banks in case of I needee more than 3.5 hours of work without sacrificing brightness and bhp while developing software.

I'm actually now looking into the unthinkable, getting a MBP 13 instead - if Visual Studio for Mac and SQL Server (on Docker) are up to scratch. I had one in 2015 and it was a cracking little thing.
I have much more confidence in battery life when it comes to Macs and this 8569u i7 is a MONSTER when it comes to performance. Look at the raw numbers:

2018 MBP i7, the upcoming 7th gen X1C and the Xeon I have in my P72 It's a 28W not a 15W CPU but with a quoted battery life of around 10 hours it's a proper race horse.

P72 Xeon 96GB (2x 970 Pro RAID0 soon) | X1 Carbon 16GB 1TB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors