Message 31 of 594

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

the next day or so i believe.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 5,366
Message 32 of 594

Yes the keyboard of the X1C7 looks and feels just like the X1C6 keyboard. The X1C7 TrackPoint feels a bit different, as I noted in the first post here, but easy to get used to.

Release will be any day now.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 5,339
Message 33 of 594

The X1C7 cat16 WWAN option will be Fibocom L860-GL, with the cat9 L850-GL also shown in the parts list.

Update: Once again as with the X1C6, there will be no standard "WWAN-ready" configurations (with WWAN antenna but no WWAN card). My strong advice is: If you think you might EVER need WWAN, buy a configuration with the WWAN option.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 5,316
Message 34 of 594

Thanks for the info!

Do we know yet if the carbon weave version is a custom option only for certain configs, or will it be available across the line? There is a demo video from CES where the Lenovo rep says the weave version is on the 4K screen model, but it's unclear whether he means ONLY the 4K model, or just the demo weave unit he is showing has the 4K screen.

I'm just curious as I don't need a 4K display, but I wonder if the weave version may be slightly more resilient than the standard finish.

aahil
Paper Tape
Views: 4,667
Message 35 of 594

I'll definitely be getting the carbon weave version!

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 3,927
Message 36 of 594

Gentlemen:

looking at @bananaman's first post on this thread, the screen options are:

14” FHD IPS (400nit)   
14” FHD IPS Touch (300nit)   
14” FHD IPS PrivacyGuard (400nit)   
14” WQHD IPS (300nit)  
14” HDR400 UHD IPS (500nit) 10 bit

my limited understanding is that the WQHD/QHD option is considered the good middle of the road option, offering additional clarity but without the unnecessary excessive resolution for those of us who are not video-oriented nor doing any specialized work that would benefit going from the QHD/WQHD to the HDR400 UHD.

that said, wonder why are they offering THREE options for the FHD but a meager one single option for the seemingly popular QHD/WQHD option?

at 300 nits, for someone who does NOT ever work on his laptop outdoors or in atypically bright environments (indoors, typical home lighting, though sometimes brigher windows than others, but still, typical home setting),  would 300 nits be plenty?

is my thinking process valid or flawed, in that the QHD/WQHD is the smart, middle of the road option for me with increased clarity over FHD but not overdoing it with the UHD/HDR400 as i am not a video-oriented person when i use my laptop.

kindly note please:  i'm coming from my X1C 1st gen.  i pre-ordered the 1st gen prior to it being available in stores and received it very early on - a bit risky but ultimately, it settled down and it worked well enough all these years.

thank you in advance.

aahil
Paper Tape
Views: 3,923
Message 37 of 594

300 is more than enough, I'm on a t460s which I think is 220 nits and it's bright enough to hurt my eyes. 

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 3,910
Message 38 of 594

ok, @aahil: thx for the input.

may i ask if you feel that the QHD/WQHD option is indeed the smart middle of the road option?

for a non-video and non graphics-oriented person, i don't see a need to go UHD at a mere 14" panel.

i just don't want to assume that my thinking is correct and then find out later that i've forgotten some nuance and that my thinking is actually flawed or didn't take some other parameter into account.  thx.

aahil
Paper Tape
Views: 3,897
Message 39 of 594

Personally, I would get the 1080p screen because depending on the resolution of the external monitor you connect to, scaling can be a pain with high resolution (1440p) or higher laptop screens in windows 10. It's up to you but I would make sure your desired resolution is widely supported in your applications. 

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 3,807
Message 40 of 594

@aahil:   just so i don't get confused and get the nomenclature correctly -- 

by 1080p, you mean the FHD options (three options as per @bananaman's first post on this thread), right?

by QHD/WQHD, there is only one option, right?

how frequently do people have trouble scaling in 2019 with QHD/WQHD please?   anyone else who might be so kind as to pitch in please?

i would have thought that by today, June 2019, that QHD/WQHD would be quite common, as a result, scaling would not be such a big issue.   am i incorrect please?  thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors